A flashlight brand you can REALLY trust ?

These guys REALLY make amazing stuff

• Total voters

hemdale

Newly Enlightened
Hi guys,

I've been lurking, browsing many many sites, reading review, understanding pros and cons...but I can't make up my mind.
So many brands it becomes confusing.

If you had to pick one brand (ok maybe two) , one who has been always good, always reliable, not a hype thing started a few weeks ago just to make extra money, not a mass marketing product. Just a bunch of guys working in a very good flashlight company, designing amazing flashlights, well engineered and sticking to their reputation...which brand would it be ?

I'm not into starting a major controversy, but I'm trying to find out which of these brands (I may have forgotten others ?) that would definitely give me a lasting satisfaction.
Thanks for your help guys !

PS: my EDC is a Fenix LD01 so far.

Last edited:

dudemar

Flashlight Enthusiast
Those are the more popular commercial brands, there are many not on that list that are eons better...

dudemar

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hold your breath...

Polarion
Pila
Heliotek
Elektrolumens
Wolf-Eyes
Ra
OMG Lumens
Lumens Factory
WiseLED
Parat
Mag (great hosts)
EagleTac
and many more...

Last edited:

hemdale

Newly Enlightened
Hey Ganymede,
:wave:

Tbh, I've been away for a while...

Let's say I'm looking for the best companion for my upcoming Benchmade Mini Griptilian ;)

hemdale,

Wow! You joined CPF in 2008 and still couldn't find something you like? For me, it is Surefire all the way.

Good luck.

hemdale

Newly Enlightened
I've been considering the Surefire E2D defender. I kinda liked the features and the tail standing capabilities...

My idea was to find a small pocketable with a CR123 battery and maybe a larger one with 2 x CR123 batteries.

nbp

Flashaholic
McGizmo, Muyshondt, Surefire, HDS

These are the bulk of my lights. I find that of all the brands I have tried, these are the ones that satisfy my needs and wants the best, and I have a high level of trust in all of them.

TEEJ

Flashaholic
I am newer to this, and my only "higher end" flashlights are probably what you'd all consider toys, but I do inspections for a living, and crawl around dark places because I need to see what's going on in them....with the seeing part being very important.

I've had a couple of Inova X5's, one UV and one white light, and they are indestructable. Both in use from somewhere around 2002 or so, my first LED flashlights.

I've also had great luck with LED Lenser's T7, it also seems indestructible, and the slide forward/back to go from spot to flood is both handy and reliable.

I had some Princeton Tec's, but they were not sturdy enough, and they failed for one reason or another.

So, so far, in my limited exposure to this world, Inova and Lenser are reliable.

I've never heard of some of the others mentioned here...but, I am....intrigued.

:D

LEDninja

Flashlight Enthusiast
Surefire from legend. They use very expensive CR123A batteries until recently so I never got one.
Fenix.
4sevens.

I trust twist heads rather than click switches.

Hard to beat an LD01. (other than brute force brightness and runtime - limitations of the tiny AAA battery)

Fenix LD15.
4sevens Quark MiNi AA².
4sevens Quark MiNi AA.

I try to get the neutral versions if available.

Last edited:

arjay

Newly Enlightened
4sevens, are you kidding me? I had nothing but problems with them. Gave all of mine away.

Surefire from legend. They use very expensive CR123A batteries until recently so I never got one.
Fenix.
4sevens.

I trust twist heads rather than click switches.

Hard to beat an LD01. (other than brute force brightness and runtime - limitations of the tiny AAA battery)

Fenix LD15.
4sevens Quark MiNi AA².
4sevens Quark MiNi AA.

I try to get the neutral versions if available.

hemdale

Newly Enlightened
Hi guys,

Thanks a million.

@ LEDNinja and the others: do you consider a clikie to be prone to fail (at some point since it a mecanical moving part ?).
A twist head sounds (is ?) more reliable than anything else ?
Is there a site on which I could have a flashlight search engine with side by side features that can be selected ?