TerraLUX MiniStar31M-EX With Maglite 3D Using 4 C Cells?

JAS

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have an old incandescent 3 D cell Maglite that doesn't get much use. I did upgrade to the genuine Maglite LED sometime back and although it was an improvement, it is rather unimpressive by today's standards. Anyway, I had been looking at the TerraLUX MiniStar31M-EX sort of hoping that my Maglite was a 4 D cell, but then I got to wondering if I could use 4 C cells in my 3 D Maglite with the TerraLUX MiniStar31M-EX?

Stephen Wallace

Enlightened
You would need to sleeve the bore of the light to keep the the C cells aligned, and would at least need to shorten the tail spring - or maybe de-anodise the inside of the tailcap and drop in a MagC spring. With that done, yes, four C cells should run that module just fine.

JAS

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think it starts with a D. The first letter or number is either a D or a zero. I am pretty sure it is old design.

MattE

Newly Enlightened

Stephen Wallace

Enlightened
If you have the 'D' at the beginning of the serial, you should be alright, but I would still remove the bulb, and check that you have the plunger contact, and not the coil of wire.

If you don't have the 'D', then it definitely won't work.

BretShooter

Newly Enlightened
If you have the 'D' at the beginning of the serial, you should be alright, but I would still remove the bulb, and check that you have the plunger contact, and not the coil of wire.

If you don't have the 'D', then it definitely won't work.
I h

I have a 3C cell Maglite. I want to run it with 3 26500 Lithiums and this module. The threaded barrel that the bulb goes into extends above the side of the body (like the new type) but the actual contact inside is the coil type. I figured the reason the old style wouldn't work with this module was the barrel didn't extend far enough for the module to screw onto it. Or is it somehow the contact type that makes it incompatible?

Stephen Wallace

Enlightened
I believe (I don't personally own any MagC's, so am unable to confirm this) that it is the base of the module that prevents it being used in a C cell Maglite. The base of the module is turned down to be the same diameter as the inner bore of the MagD battery tube, so the bottom of the module actually fits a short way inside the battery tube of the light. This provides strength and alignment between the light and the module, and no doubt assists with heat sinking.

Even if you ignored all that, I don't think that the switches threaded lamp holder extends for enough beyond the battery tube for the Terralux module to screw in to or make electrical contact.

BretShooter

Newly Enlightened
I believe (I don't personally own any MagC's, so am unable to confirm this) that it is the base of the module that prevents it being used in a C cell Maglite. The base of the module is turned down to be the same diameter as the inner bore of the MagD battery tube, so the bottom of the module actually fits a short way inside the battery tube of the light. This provides strength and alignment between the light and the module, and no doubt assists with heat sinking.

Even if you ignored all that, I don't think that the switches threaded lamp holder extends for enough beyond the battery tube for the Terralux module to screw in to or make electrical contact.

Damn. There is a spec on Copquest.com that states it works for both, but the 2nd pic on brightguy.com shows it is like you say. I wonder if the back plate with the "D cell" protrusion will come off when the 3 screws are removed. I could have it remachined to fit.