SST-90 optics

DKlaser

Enlightened
Has anyone actually bought and used the LEDIL - C10977_LILY-SST90-S ? This is supposed to give a spot beam but the dimensions are rather small so I was looking for opinions on how well it performs....

brandocommando

Enlightened
I know Wayne from Electrolumens makes the Big Bruiser with the SST-90 and an optic, but I'm not sure which one?? Iris??

He has to space the optic off of the LED a little, because the first one he did with it sitting right on top of the LED melted the optic...

Big Bruiser sales thread. (Talks about melted optic in first post.)

Q
uick review.

Last edited:

CKOD

Enlightened
Its listed as 'spot' but the FHWM is +/-12 degrees, so the beam width would be 24 degrees which is pretty broad. Its a spot beam in terms of household/indoor lighting, but definitely not a tight or spot beam for flashlights.

berksglh

Newly Enlightened
I purchased and tried the LEDIL - C10977 from Mouser Electronics for about $2? If you were planning on mounting the LED in a AA Maglite, it may be a good fit, but it really is impractical for flashlight use. :thumbsdow I agree, more of a home lighting aplication..

I am still trying to come up with a decent option as well. Mine is going in a 2D Mag host, But I am open to making a custom piece to house any reflector or optics.

I have something coming from DX already, but its way to big for the head on a 2D Mag. So I will have to machine/TIG weld something custom to fit it and thread to the host if the spot and through is what I want.

http://www.dealextreme.com/p/sst-90-smooth-aluminum-reflector-7-3cm-diameter-47996