The new trotting track spotlights

Swedpat

Flashlight Enthusiast
As a flashoholic I am interested in all kind of illumination tools. The new kinds of car HID lights are amazing, I just wonder how many lumen they produce.
And at the local trotting track something happened quite recently. The spotlights have been upgraded, and I could really notice that something had happened compared to earlier!
During the competitions the lighting shine up the entire city when it's cloudy and it's visible far away from the city. I sought for information and found it.
The trotting track has totally 550x2000W metal halogen lights with 220 000lumen each(100 Fenix TK70! :eek:). That does mean a total light amount of 121 miljon lumens! It would be fun to attach only one of these lamps on a car...

http://www.lighting.philips.se/projects/peabtravet.wpd

Some text translated from swedish with Google translate(with some correction):

Boden, Sweden

The new lighting has attracted considerable interest from racetracks abroad. Now we get a TV production that lifts our horse racing broadcasts to a whole new dimension.

Sven Granström, sports manager Peab racetrack, Constance

The project

From 1 January 2011, new lighting requirements for HDTV production including racetracks. Consulting company Sweco AB was asked to produce proposals for new trotting lighting - meeting the new lighting requirements - and Peab racetrack in Boden selected as pilot projects. In competition with other lighting company Philips was commissioned to plan and deliver trot lighting Floodlights.

Under the new lighting requirements for HDTV production, the vertical illuminance on the main camera to be at least 1700 lux for the racetrack, volt range and the winning circle. For optimum camera image is very high demands on the beam pattern uniformity (Emin / Emax> 0.6 and Emin / Emed> 0.7). Lamp color temperature shall correspond to the daylight that is 5600K-7000K and color reproduction to be Ra ≤ 90th

- The big challenge was finding a balance between the number of instal ¬ controlled spotlights and lighting requirements. That is, to achieve consolidated lighting requirements with low power consumption and few fittings as possible, says Per-Ake Alm as projected lighting, Philips Lighting.

Mastering The location and heights were determined by Sweco and it was a challenge. Along the racetrack inner track placed 40 st 14 m high masts of 20-25 m from each other. The masts are 6-12 ArenaVision headlights mounted. Along the racetrack outer tracks were placed 9 x 24 m high masts. The masts are 6-12 ArenaVision headlights. Behind the stands, there are another 3 pc 36 m high masts with 25-51 headlights. arena MVF404 is designed specifically for installations where heavy demands on the lighting in television broadcasting. The headlamp is small and has a vindyta of only 0.20 m2. With the Single-capped metal halide MHN-SE 2000W, and optics with very high precision is ArenaVision very high light output.
Peab racetrack lighting is controlled through a computerized control system with parallel control positions in judgments tower and office building.

The solution

Peab racetrack new lighting is in the current situation the only trotting light in Sweden which meet the new lighting requirements for HDTV production. Thanks ArenaVision headlight high efficiency and com ¬ tion optics and light source, the number of fixtures could be limited. The light source MHN-SE 2000W provides very high light output, 220 000 lm. The light has a color temperature of 5600K and a color rendering Ra 90

Last edited:

blasterman

Flashlight Enthusiast
The new kinds of car HID lights are amazing,

Not if you're an oncoming driver.

Most impressive thing about the big Phillips metal halides is the efficiency (101 lumens per watt) and 90 CRI. Re-lamping is expensive though.

idleprocess

Flashaholic
Watching MotoGP race at night at the Losail International Circuit is quite interesting. Save for the constantly-changing angle of the light, it's a fair approximation of daylight when watching in on TV.

aerial_slideshow_169.jpg

Swedpat

Flashlight Enthusiast
Watching MotoGP race at night at the Losail International Circuit is quite interesting. Save for the constantly-changing angle of the light, it's a fair approximation of daylight when watching in on TV.

It's the impression I have and also friends to me mentioned about visiting trotting competition PEABTRAVET in Boden: "it feels like daylight". And bear in mind it's the same the track around, it's a large area beeing brightly illiminated.