UPDATED Elzetta ZFL M60 Mini Review - RUN TIMES ADDED

run4jc

Flashlight Enthusiast
UPDATE - new run time test in post 24
Call me crazy. Most of my flashlight purchases in the past few months have been based upon buying something that will provide light in the worst possible conditions. Surely the debate could rage on for years about which light is the most robust – and my feeling is that most all the arguments would have great merit. McGizmo, Mac, HDS, Surefire, on and on – great lights, built well. I've enjoyed abusing a few lights just for fun and found that even some low-end lights hold up well.

My Haikus remain my absolute favorites.

Still, when Policescannerman gives his blessing to a light, I have to take notice. Then my subsequent purchase of a Bravo Company rifle urged me to shop for a weapon light. Put 2 and 2 together and I decided on the Elzetta ZFL M60 with hi/strobe and crenelated bezel, along with a Zorn rail mount.

It came, I was blown away, and decided that it would be good to have another with 'high/low' settings for dog walking duty. Ordered a ZFL M60 with hi/lo and low profile bezel.

Packaging is simple – easy to open blister packs that you don't have to destroy in order to remove the lights.
IMG_6252.JPG

Decent instructions included – also a couple of beefy o-rings to use in the event you mount the light in a weapon mount.
IMG_6289.JPG

IMG_6272.JPG

Lights are shipped with 2 Battery Station primaries. I went with the 2 cell versions – the Malkoff module is rated up to 9V so I will be using 2 AW RCRs in my every day dog walking light, but will keep the Battery Station primaries in the weapon light.
IMG_6259.JPG

As others have mentioned, the anodizing is top rate –
IMG_6256.JPG

The walls of the light are thick, yet the light isn't overly heavy – you feel as though you are carrying a "real tool".
IMG_6270.JPG

Threads are beefy and come well lubricated. I added a bit of Krytox to the tail threads and that immediately improved the ease of switching. With a bit of time and break in, I believe one handed operation will be super easy.

IMG_6269.JPG

Excuse the lint!
IMG_6268.JPG

My only cause for pause was the clicky. I have been spoiled my McGizmo McClicky switches, and this one is a bit mushy by comparison, but the boot is thick and beefy and the click functions perfectly every time. Elzetta offers a twist only switch – the switches I chose are intuitive and easy – click on / off – twist ever so slightly for mode change.
IMG_6271.JPG

Incidentally, out on the end of my AR, it is VERY easy to operate the light with my left thumb.
IMG_6307.JPG

Looks cool, doesn't it?
IMG_6313.JPG

Would you want to be staring at these two "business ends?"
IMG_6315.JPG

Crenelations on the bezel are wicked looking. This thing would definitely slow down the poor soul who was hit with it.
IMG_6280.JPG

IMG_6316.JPG

The low profile bezel is just that – low profile, and nice looking.
IMG_6290.JPG

IMG_6292.JPG

Since the M60 module is sealed, the bezel requires no lens. There is a nice, beefy o ring between the Malkoff and the bezel to help with seal and, my guess, shock absorbing.
IMG_6297.JPG

IMG_6265.JPG

IMG_6267.JPG

Speaking of the Malkoff, these M60s are purportedly using XRE emitters. I still love the tint of that emitter, and although the beam won't win any awards with white wall hunters, this beam through the TIR optics gives a great what I call "Batman Signal" spot. Just enough spill to light your peripheral, but most of the light is obviously concentrated in the spot. I've ordered a couple of M61s – 1 regular and 1 High CRI – and look forward to trying those out in this light (and yes, I ordered the lens kits also.)
IMG_6263.JPG

IMG_6264.JPG

The Malkoff Drop Ins are well known around CPF, but if you have any questions here are a couple of informational links:

CPF Run Time Test (this is an almost 4 year old test - scout24 is conducing a new test the 'low' setting and will post the results when ready - I plan to add an updated run time on 'high' later today)
CPF Review from 2008
Manufacturers web site (Malkoff)

These drop ins are still available at the Elzetta site as well as at Oveready and perhaps other online retailers.

It's too cold in the DC area to do beam shots (sorry – not so much for my tolerance for the cold, but more for my camera), but I will share a couple of 'beige wall' shots. I do not have an LED Surefire to compare to, but I will compare to a well-known light – the Haiku…(Elzetta left - Haiku right)
IMG_6282.JPG

IMG_6288.JPG

Finally, for those of you who would like a point of reference regarding the size of the lights, in this next photo you can see, left to right, the ZFL M60 CS2S, McGizmo Haiku, McGizmo High CRI Mule on 2x123 McClicky Pak, and ZFL M60 LS2D
IMG_6306.JPG

Torture tests? Are you kidding? I ain't gonna beat my pretty lights up after others have disassembled a light under water, and re-assembled it – and it kept working; they've hammered nails with one; on YouTube there are many videos, most enjoyable being one where a guy shoots his with a 12 gauge, throws into metal plating, and just beats the you-know-what out of it until it finally gives up from a point blank 12 gauge blast. BTW, the Surefire gave up about halfway into the abuse. I'm not picking on the Surefire – it held up remarkably well – these tests were over the top.

If you visit Elzetta's web site, there are links to MANY such torture tests. I don't believe the forum rules allow me to link to their site, but it's pretty easy to figure out...

I'm not a law enforcement officer, nor am I military (and God bless all who serve in those noble services), but these days my purchases are often guided by the thought of "will it hold up under the worst case scenario?" "Do I need backup?"

That's just me. For those of you who don't think the Elzetta is your 'thing', no worries! That's the beauty of being able to make your own choices.

But if you are looking for an ultra rugged duty light, or a SHTF light, or just enjoy owning simple, rugged, reliable lighting tools, I humbly suggest that one of the variants of the Elzetta brand be on your short shopping list!

Last edited:

scout24

Flashaholic
Re: Elzetta ZFL M60 Mini Review - PHOTO HEAVY!

:eek: Well said sir! Love the macro emitter shot... Looks the business on that AR. Bring on the zombies... :huh:

PoliceScannerMan

Flashaholic

Wow, I didn't know the M60s these days were using XPE. Nice!

Excellent write up Dan, this Elzettas will more than likely serve for a lifetime. :)

Swedpat

Flashlight Enthusiast

Thanks for the review and pictures!
I find Elzetta very attractive, but find it really sad that M60 dropins are not more available in low and warm options!

scout24

Flashaholic

Bombproof EDC trio? :) Personally, they're all in the same league build-quality wise... Dark Sucks Ti clip, btw. Sorry for the lousy pic, I'll re-take and re-post... EDIT- Ti clip removed, wants tailcap fully tightened to stay in place. Back on my McClicky equipped G2 it goes!

P1010974.jpg

Last edited:

snakyjake

Enlightened

How do the Elzetta lights compare with Surefire's 6PX (with the same drop-ins)?
What does the beam look like at longer distances?

run4jc

Flashlight Enthusiast

How do the Elzetta lights compare with Surefire's 6PX (with the same drop-ins)?
What does the beam look like at longer distances?

I don't own a 6PX, but looking at specs it looks as though the 6PX has a fixed emitter? You can't change the drop in? Perhaps someone else will please help answer the question?

I tried this morning to snap a photo or 2 of the beam at distance - unfortunately my point and shoot wouldn't co-operate. Tonight I will try to take my good camera outside and shoot a couple of distance beam shots. But it's pretty cold outside - no promises!

I jokingly called the spot a "Batman Signal" spot - it's a defined spot that reminds me of an L1 - and it really reaches out there. at 50 yards the spot has grown large enough to light a small group of people, while still remaining defined. There is some spill up close, but typical of a TIR setup, most of the output is focused on the spot. Hope this helps - and hope someone else will offer more input.

jorn

Flashlight Enthusiast

The m60 uses a xr-e, shows clearly on the picture. Got a M30W, really useful beampattern.

run4jc

Flashlight Enthusiast

The m60 uses a xr-e, shows clearly on the picture. Got a M30W, really useful beampattern.

That's what I originally thought....thanks for the input. Wouldn't surprise me if a number of additional Malkoffs come to roost here. I expect the M61l and M61LL will be the next one. I had an M30W last year and really liked it - like warm emitters in general - but I'm hoping the M61 High CRI that will arrive at my home Tuesday will provide the tint I prefer.

pjandyho

Flashlight Enthusiast

I have always thought of buying an Elzetta ZF-L with hi/lo tail cap but somehow or rather I am always tempted by other lights that seems to perform better (by specs). Most of my money went into my Mule and a couple of Haikus, couple of SC600 and an SC600w, and lately a HDS high CRI rotary. Now that I am contemplating on an SF Fury your thread got me itching again for the Elzetta. Now I can't decide what I want.

snakyjake

Enlightened

Now that I am contemplating on an SF Fury your thread got me itching again for the Elzetta. Now I can't decide what I want.

For a weapon/tactical light, I don't like the Fury operation.

pjandyho

Flashlight Enthusiast

For a weapon/tactical light, I don't like the Fury operation.
I don't shoot and we are not allowed to own firearms here in Singapore. So in my usage, which is general utility usage, I believe a Fury should fit the bill. I must say I am quite happy with the 6PX and G2X Pro.

kyhunter1

Flashlight Enthusiast

That is sad. In your case, I would be all over any aggressive bezel tactical light like the Elzetta or even a SF E2DL. A light is not much protection in hand to hand combay but alot better than none.

I don't shoot and we are not allowed to own firearms here in Singapore. .....

scout24

Flashaholic

FWIW, I started a runtime test on my Elzetta this morning, low level with the supplied Batterystation cells. They had about 10 minutes on hi and maybe 20 minutes on low at the start of the test. I'll post as it progresses.

pjandyho

Flashlight Enthusiast

That is sad. In your case, I would be all over any aggressive bezel tactical light like the Elzetta or even a SF E2DL. A light is not much protection in hand to hand combay but alot better than none.
Agree. My biggest gripe staying here is not being able to own firearms. Even carrying an EDC knife around could lend you in court with "intention to cause harm". Sometimes I wish I could just migrate to US where I could play with all the guns I want. Anyway, the government had such a stringent law around here and plus good enforcing by the police it is very safe to be staying here in Singapore. Very often I hear tourists claiming that they have never before felt as safe walking along the streets at 12 midnight as they are here in Singapore.

Last edited:

run4jc

Flashlight Enthusiast

Agree. My biggest gripe staying here is not being able to own firearms. Even carrying an EDC knife around could lend you in court with "intention to cause harm". Sometimes I wish I could just migrate to US where I could play with all the guns I want. Anyway, the government had such a stringent law around here and plus good enforcing by the police it is very safe to be staying here in Singapore. Very often I hear tourists claiming that they have never before felt as safe walking along the streets at 12 midnight as they are here in Singapore.

I agree also with having increased incentive to own a light with an aggressive bezel like this Elzetta or the Surefire. And that discussion - not one of the relative safety of any country versus another -keeps the thread on track...:thumbsup:

FWIW, I started a runtime test on my Elzetta this morning, low level with the supplied Batterystation cells. They had about 10 minutes on hi and maybe 20 minutes on low at the start of the test. I'll post as it progresses.
Thanks for sacrificing your primaries in the interest of science, Greg! Can't wait to hear the results. FWIW, I tested one of my Elzettas at the tail cap using AW RCRs and on high it was pulling .6 amps...

pjandyho

Flashlight Enthusiast

I agree also with having increased incentive to own a light with an aggressive bezel like this Elzetta or the Surefire. And that discussion - not one of the relative safety of any country versus another -keeps the thread on track...:thumbsup:
I was contemplating about getting one with the aggressive bezel but not for defense purposes but rather as a safe reminder that my light is still on should I leave it bezel down. I do have an E2DL and an E2D which I don't use as the crenellations seems to be tearing up the pockets in a few times of carrying them in it. They are 5.11 and BlackHawk pants by the way. I would probably holster carry the ZF-L

Vortus

Flashlight Enthusiast

run4jc, always enjoy your write ups and photos. Great job again. Hard to think about it, but I guess an overbuilt MD2 intended for the most severe duty.