Pelican M-11...New lamp assembly...

dano

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, I heard that Pelican redesigned the lamp assembly for the M-11.

The original lamp assembly consisted of a smooth reflector and a small tear-drop shaped lamp. The lamp and reflector were sealed by a piece of Lexan, to prevent debris exposure. the lamp also has several Nitrogen balls integrated to absorb the off-gases from the Ni-Cd battery cells. This lamp produced a pin point VERY far reaching beam. I liked it. It did lack the close-up corona, but excelled in long distance applications.

The new lamp assembly uses a textured reflector and a large rounded lamp that has a larger filament. there is no lexan cover, but the Nitrogen pellets are still there. The beam quality is good, but lacks the output of the original lamp. This lamp offers a slightly larger corona, but doesn't come near the distance throwing capabiloities of the old lamp. I think this lamp may be of less power, the intensity just isn't there.

I haven't measured either one for amp draw.

I'm not sure why the change was implemented. Perhaps the original lamp was too much of a "rescue" type throw, and there was some feedback in the Law Enforcement Community (though I'm the only LEO that I know of that uses an M-11 in my area)which shifted the lamp to more of a pronounced wide angle beam...I'll shoot an email over to Pelican and see what they say, as Pelican has always been VERY receptive to its customers.

--dan

batterystation

Enlightened
I was going to suggest that I forward your note to them, but I see you are contacting them. I do not know the answer to that question but do like the light. I almost wonder if you are right about it being too much of a spot.
The SuperSabre is like that (spot that is).