18650 Recommendations

SJPrice

Newly Enlightened
I have an XM-L 18650 deep reflector in Titanium on order. This will be my first custom light and also will be my first 18650 light. I am trying to determine what is the absolute best 18650 for Mac's lights and where is a good source to purchase them? Thank you for your time, consideration and knowledge.

nfetterly

Flashlight Enthusiast
AW 18650 3100 - AW is on the marketplace forum in dealers I believe, also at lighthound.com. They are the only quality cells I have experience with - I've heard a few others are good; Kallee's Customs & redilast (?) - they all start with the same basic quality cell (I believe).

Stay away from ****fire brands (trust, ultra,...)

Light11

Flashlight Enthusiast
+1
AW's are the best.

AW 18650 3100 - AW is on the marketplace forum in dealers I believe, also at lighthound.com. They are the only quality cells I have experience with - I've heard a few others are good; Kallee's Customs & redilast (?) - they all start with the same basic quality cell (I believe).

Stay away from ****fire brands (trust, ultra,...)

precisionworks

Flashaholic
I used a numer of AW18650 2900 mAh with zero problems. Now the AW 18650 3100 mAh is the "go to" cell & provides about 6.5% greater capacity than the 2900. IMO there isn't a better cell available today.

TEEJ

Flashaholic
I just got some Tenergy 18560's, 2600 mAh 3.7

How are they compared to AW?

They'll be used in a Klarus XT11 if it matters.

Is it worth upgrading to the AW 3100 mAh batteries?

The Tenergy's were ~ $9 something each, so its not a giant loss if its a big step up.

:D

- Thanks!

Last edited:

TEEJ

Flashaholic

It would have helped more if it mentioned which ones the XT11 took. :D

The Tenergy ones I ordered appear to be very short, albeit the scale make a mm look large....and I don't have the experience with these things to know what's important.

The performance seems good too at least, but being mostly color blind, the charts are not easy to read/compare.

I don't even know if the XT11 needs the flat or button versions, etc....or even if it matters.

sigh.

Being a noob sucks.

SJPrice

Newly Enlightened
Thank you all for the info. I ordered several of the AW 18650 3100's and an intelligent charger for them. Now I will be ready for firing up my new Mac Custom when it gets here. I am sure looking forward to carrying a custom titanium light.