ArmyTek
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need Tactical EDC Recommendation

Default Need Tactical EDC Recommendation

I am looking for a 2x CR123 LED light with the following features:

-Tubular design or minimally flared bezel for comfortable pocket carry (think surefire E2 size)
    -120-200 lumens
    -Single output
    -Momentary only switch
    -Clip for bezel-down carry
    -Reputable manufacture/Good quality control

These features are not negotiable.
    Last edited by victory; 01-15-2012 at 02:25 PM.

Default Re: Need Tactical EDC Recommendation

Surefire 6P host (Highly reputable/Excellent quality)
    Malkoff M60W (200lumens/Highly reputable/Excellent quality)
    Novatac pocket clip
    Oveready (Highly reputable/Excellent quality) Smoothie bezel

My EDC is the Quark 123*2 'Tactical' XP-G R5. It easily meets all of your criteria. I've been using this same light for about two years for EDC.

I have bought maybe a hundred flashlights in the last two years (most given away as gifts), but I keep plenty of them, LOL. I still haven't found a better EDC then the Quark 123*2 'Tactical' XP-G R5.

EDIT: my recommendation has two adjustable output settings (tight head/loose head), but you can set them both the same, i.e., achiving the "single output" as you require......

6P host is a tad too big for comfortable pocket carry IMHO.
    Comparison pic below:

-
    Last edited by Chevy-SS; 01-15-2012 at 03:25 PM.
    "Be careful, even in small matters" - Miyamoto Musashi

Quote Originally Posted by CPFBiology View Post
    Surefire 6P host (Highly reputable/Excellent quality)
    Malkoff M60W (200lumens/Highly reputable/Excellent quality)
    Novatac pocket clip
    Oveready (Highly reputable/Excellent quality) Smoothie bezel
    I'm not looking to piece together a light. Lets limit this to something with a factory warranty. If i need to source an aftermarket clip, that is about the extent I am willing to go. Also, i would prefer a thinner profile than the 6P for pocket carry. (closer to an E2)

Flashaholic*

The Surefire LX2 meets your criteria. There is a low level, but the UI remains truly tactical because of the nature of the tailcap (i.e. you push through low to get to high, so you can effectively get an "instant" high).

Quote Originally Posted by Chevy-SS View Post
    My EDC is the Quark 123*2 'Tactical' XP-G R5. It easily meets all of your criteria.
    How does a 360 lumen, 7 function clicky fit all of my criteria?

Please read my request again.

I do not want a multi-mode light with complicated electronics. The more complicated, the more likely it is to fail

Push on, release off. 120-200 lumens
    Last edited by victory; 01-15-2012 at 04:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Z-Tab View Post
    The Surefire LX2 meets your criteria. There is a low level, but the UI remains truly tactical because of the nature of the tailcap (i.e. you push through low to get to high, so you can effectively get an "instant" high).
    Thanks z-tab. This one is a strong possibility. :sniff: Is that my wallet burning?

Still open to suggestions. Used to be that this level of simplicity was the norm...have gimmicks become so popular that you can't find lights without them anymore? I can't believe that there is only one light that fits the bill (though it figures it's a surefire)

Flashaholic*

If you have an old E2 with the momentary tailcap, you can get a Malkoff VME head with a M60/M61 (M60 for more throw, M61 for more overall light). But you've still got the bezel down clip requirement, which the stock E2 doesn't fit.

I was going to suggest the lx2 as well. Elzetta might be an option as well as an md2 from malkoff. Both of these are a bit larger than lx2 and you would need a pocket clip. But both can provide a low level without quirky electronics.

Quote Originally Posted by Z-Tab View Post
    If you have an old E2 with the momentary tailcap, you can get a Malkoff VME head with a M60/M61 (M60 for more throw, M61 for more overall light). But you've still got the bezel down clip requirement, which the stock E2 doesn't fit.
    How big does that make the head of the light? I find the size of the bezel on a 6P, for instance, pokes into my leg uncomfortably.

Moot point since i don't have an E2 to modify and even buying a used incan one on ebay, i doubt i could piece it together for less than an LX2, which comes with a surefire warranty. (Really, I don't want to piece together a light)

Bezel down is a must. If there's a negligent discharge of the light, better it goes into my pocket than illuminating me and the entire room. Furthermore, bezel up I find makes for some fumbling to get a hammer grip on the light.
    Last edited by victory; 01-15-2012 at 04:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by dirtech View Post
    I was going to suggest the lx2 as well. Elzetta might be an option as well as an md2 from malkoff. Both of these are a bit larger than lx2 and you would need a pocket clip. But both can provide a low level without quirky electronics.
    I think for minor difference in price when it's all said and done, the surefire is still winning. Keep 'em coming folks.

Surefire E2E body with a twisty switch.
    KX2C Head, single level 200 lumen.
    LX2 clip.

Quote Originally Posted by victory View Post

I do not want a multi-mode light with complicated electronics. The more complicated, the more likely it is to fail

Did you look at the tactical or the normal version of the Quark? The tactical only has Bezel tight and loose modes and is as simple as it gets. You can even set the 2 modes to lower to hit your lumen targets although I would bet the actual OTF output is 200ish on max anyways. You will get much better runtime than your average 200 lumen light too because of the more efficient LED.

The SF LX2 is really nice but pricey and about 50% longer than the Quark. The Quarks newer LED will also give more runtime.

I have been looking for years for the same thing and there aren't many other "tactical" options in that size other than some similar Olights.

As to your non-complicated-electronics-to-avoid-failure needs unfortunately all LEDs require circuit boards so all lights now have risk. However that risk is overall much lower than the incan lamps of even SF make most all here have found.

Dennis
    Last edited by Dennis; 01-15-2012 at 04:58 PM.

dennis, it's a clicky, so it's a no-go.

I too say the LX2 fits your needs exactly. If you are patient like I was you can pick one up over in CPFmarketplace for a fair price.

dennis, it's a clicky, so it's a no-go.
    Oh, missed that. Then jssp78's recommendation above is about your only choice aside from a LX2 but not a current SF offering. I have a few e2 bodies kicking around with twisties and one with a new SF head would be about as simple as it gets. To save $ get an old E2 off the Equipment Exchange here and add a LumensFactory LED head. Probably well under $100 total.

I can't think of any other lights with twisty tailcaps.

Dennis.

If you own a Surefire E2E, replace the lamp with a led drop-in made by Kuku.
    They have different models and they do have single levels.
    250 lumens but they are more of the floody type.

Well, looks like the LX2 is it if i don't want a frankenlight. Amazing that no one else makes a suitable light. Listen up manufacturers: there's a market for simple.

Just snagged a like-new LX2 on ebay for $120 shipped. Thank you all for your help.

Just snagged a like-new LX2 on ebay for $120 shipped. Thank you all for your help.
    Good deal, I got mine on the MP for $125

Surefire e2e
    Veleno designs e series drop in, single mode
    Lx2 clip

Im not too familiar with e series tailcaps so Im not sure if theres a twisty tailcap with momentary. The stock tailcap will be press lightly for momentary, press hard for constant on/off.

Edit: fuuuu just saw that OP found a light lol. $120 is a sweet price for an lx2.

Sent from my HTC Sensation Z710a using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Roger999; 01-15-2012 at 06:16 PM.

Well, looks like the LX2 is it if i don't want a frankenlight. Amazing that no one else makes a suitable light. Listen up manufacturers: there's a market for simple.
    Frankenlights are like Frankenguns... A well spec'd AR-15 can run just fine if not better than a factory offering since you get what you want.

With all the offerings out there now it is just hard for me to settle for a single mode light, however it can't be some confusing multiple clicky thing either. My current EDC is an Oveready bored out Z2 with a Thrunite XML drop in and McCicky two level push thru tailcap. With an AW 3100mAh 18650 rechargeable battery I can get 3+ hours of guilt free runtime. However I belt carry next to a spare mag and not pocket. For pocket I use a Quark 1x123 light.

Anyways, looks like you got a good deal on the LX2!

Dennis.

Flashaholic*

You got a good deal, victory. Hope the LX2 does the job for you.

It's sad that Surefire decided to drop the twisty switch design on their E2 series in favor of a clicky. And even sadder still when most manufacturers would deem it fit to have multiple mode lights with clicky switch and passing them off as being tactical. Although I am not a tactical operator, I fully understand the needs of one. The biggest problem with a clicky switch is the accidental lock-on in a high stress situation when the operator may have pressed the switch a little too hard. It would make it very difficult to execute the flash and go, flash and go technique.

I fully agree with the choice of an LX2. Have one and in terms of user interface nothing comes quite close to it other than lights made by Surefire in the same category, i.e. A2 and A2L Aviator.
    The love of light is the reason why I don't walk in darkness. But darkness has it's beauty...Sadly, my lights are much more beautiful!!
    Beam shots Night Trekking with HDS high CRI and McGizmo Haiku & Mule high CRI

LX2, LX2, LX2. The two stage twisty can be easily over looked...just push hard every time. This is my no compromise tactical EDC.

Awesome! And, yes, while all the other x-fire brands are coming out with wiz-bang gadgetry, although SF has a few, SF can still keep it simple.

LOL, I explained my selection, by noting you could EASILY configure the light to be ONE mode. Your initial post DID NOT mention that you "....do not want a multi-mode light with complicated electronics."

Jeez
    "Be careful, even in small matters" - Miyamoto Musashi

VTAC has a single cell Surefire light based on the E1B, but only has high mode. They also have a light based on the E2DL, but only has a high mode bezel as well:

link removed

I know the tailcaps are clicky, but I thought some others reading this thread might like to see these offerings.
    Last edited by Unforgiven; 01-17-2012 at 08:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by pjandyho View Post
    It's sad that Surefire decided to drop the twisty switch design on their E2 series in favor of a clicky. And even sadder still when most manufacturers would deem it fit to have multiple mode lights with clicky switch and passing them off as being tactical. Although I am not a tactical operator, I fully understand the needs of one. The biggest problem with a clicky switch is the accidental lock-on in a high stress situation when the operator may have pressed the switch a little too hard. It would make it very difficult to execute the flash and go, flash and go technique.
    I do firearms instruction and our courses involve a low-light portion. I see nothing but problems with students running lights with multiple modes and clicky switches. The second the light doesn't do what they expect it to, even under a little simulated stress, they crap their pants and freeze up. Then they go out and buy a proper light.

Another issue I see is lights that are just too damn bright for their purpose. I think 200 lumens is the absolute top end for a tactical light. Students running 300, 400, 500 lumen lights are constantly blinding themselves with splashback. Meanwhile the guys with old Surefires can still see their target plenty well and don't end up walking around in a daze like someone set off a flashbang in their face.

Quote Originally Posted by angelofwar View Post
    LX2, LX2, LX2. The two stage twisty can be easily over looked...just push hard every time.
    You say it like a "soft press" is even an option once the adrenaline starts flowing.

Quote Originally Posted by Chevy-SS View Post
    LOL, I explained my selection, by noting you could EASILY configure the light to be ONE mode. Your initial post DID NOT mention that you "....do not want a multi-mode light with complicated electronics."

Jeez
    I am looking for a 2x CR123 LED light with the following features:

-Tubular design or minimally flared bezel for comfortable pocket carry (think surefire E2 size)
    -120-200 lumens
    -Single output
    -Momentary only switch

-Clip for bezel-down carry
    -Reputable manufacture/Good quality control

These features are not negotiable.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast