Need Tactical EDC Recommendation

victory

Enlightened
I am looking for a 2x CR123 LED light with the following features:

-Tubular design or minimally flared bezel for comfortable pocket carry (think surefire E2 size)
-120-200 lumens
-Single output
-Momentary only switch
-Clip for bezel-down carry
-Reputable manufacture/Good quality control

These features are not negotiable.

Last edited:

CPFBiology

Enlightened
Surefire 6P host (Highly reputable/Excellent quality)
Malkoff M60W (200lumens/Highly reputable/Excellent quality)
Novatac pocket clip
Oveready (Highly reputable/Excellent quality) Smoothie bezel

Chevy-SS

Enlightened
My EDC is the Quark 123*2 'Tactical' XP-G R5. It easily meets all of your criteria. I've been using this same light for about two years for EDC.

I have bought maybe a hundred flashlights in the last two years (most given away as gifts), but I keep plenty of them, LOL. I still haven't found a better EDC then the Quark 123*2 'Tactical' XP-G R5.

EDIT: my recommendation has two adjustable output settings (tight head/loose head), but you can set them both the same, i.e., achiving the "single output" as you require......

6P host is a tad too big for comfortable pocket carry IMHO.
Comparison pic below:

-

Last edited:

victory

Enlightened
Surefire 6P host (Highly reputable/Excellent quality)
Malkoff M60W (200lumens/Highly reputable/Excellent quality)
Novatac pocket clip
Oveready (Highly reputable/Excellent quality) Smoothie bezel

I'm not looking to piece together a light. Lets limit this to something with a factory warranty. If i need to source an aftermarket clip, that is about the extent I am willing to go. Also, i would prefer a thinner profile than the 6P for pocket carry. (closer to an E2)

Z-Tab

Enlightened
The Surefire LX2 meets your criteria. There is a low level, but the UI remains truly tactical because of the nature of the tailcap (i.e. you push through low to get to high, so you can effectively get an "instant" high).

victory

Enlightened
My EDC is the Quark 123*2 'Tactical' XP-G R5. It easily meets all of your criteria.

How does a 360 lumen, 7 function clicky fit all of my criteria?

Please read my request again.

I do not want a multi-mode light with complicated electronics. The more complicated, the more likely it is to fail

Push on, release off. 120-200 lumens

Last edited:

victory

Enlightened
The Surefire LX2 meets your criteria. There is a low level, but the UI remains truly tactical because of the nature of the tailcap (i.e. you push through low to get to high, so you can effectively get an "instant" high).

Thanks z-tab. This one is a strong possibility. :sniff: Is that my wallet burning?

Still open to suggestions. Used to be that this level of simplicity was the norm...have gimmicks become so popular that you can't find lights without them anymore? I can't believe that there is only one light that fits the bill (though it figures it's a surefire)

Z-Tab

Enlightened
If you have an old E2 with the momentary tailcap, you can get a Malkoff VME head with a M60/M61 (M60 for more throw, M61 for more overall light). But you've still got the bezel down clip requirement, which the stock E2 doesn't fit.

dirtech

Enlightened
I was going to suggest the lx2 as well. Elzetta might be an option as well as an md2 from malkoff. Both of these are a bit larger than lx2 and you would need a pocket clip. But both can provide a low level without quirky electronics.

victory

Enlightened
If you have an old E2 with the momentary tailcap, you can get a Malkoff VME head with a M60/M61 (M60 for more throw, M61 for more overall light). But you've still got the bezel down clip requirement, which the stock E2 doesn't fit.

How big does that make the head of the light? I find the size of the bezel on a 6P, for instance, pokes into my leg uncomfortably.

Moot point since i don't have an E2 to modify and even buying a used incan one on ebay, i doubt i could piece it together for less than an LX2, which comes with a surefire warranty. (Really, I don't want to piece together a light)

Bezel down is a must. If there's a negligent discharge of the light, better it goes into my pocket than illuminating me and the entire room. Furthermore, bezel up I find makes for some fumbling to get a hammer grip on the light.

Last edited:

victory

Enlightened
I was going to suggest the lx2 as well. Elzetta might be an option as well as an md2 from malkoff. Both of these are a bit larger than lx2 and you would need a pocket clip. But both can provide a low level without quirky electronics.

I think for minor difference in price when it's all said and done, the surefire is still winning. Keep 'em coming folks.

jssp78

Newly Enlightened
Surefire E2E body with a twisty switch.
KX2C Head, single level 200 lumen.
LX2 clip.

Dennis

Newly Enlightened
How does a 360 lumen, 7 function clicky fit all of my criteria?

Please read my request again.

I do not want a multi-mode light with complicated electronics. The more complicated, the more likely it is to fail

Push on, release off. 120-200 lumens

Did you look at the tactical or the normal version of the Quark? The tactical only has Bezel tight and loose modes and is as simple as it gets. You can even set the 2 modes to lower to hit your lumen targets although I would bet the actual OTF output is 200ish on max anyways. You will get much better runtime than your average 200 lumen light too because of the more efficient LED.

The SF LX2 is really nice but pricey and about 50% longer than the Quark. The Quarks newer LED will also give more runtime.

I have been looking for years for the same thing and there aren't many other "tactical" options in that size other than some similar Olights.

As to your non-complicated-electronics-to-avoid-failure needs unfortunately all LEDs require circuit boards so all lights now have risk. However that risk is overall much lower than the incan lamps of even SF make most all here have found.

Dennis

Last edited:

think2x

Flashlight Enthusiast
I too say the LX2 fits your needs exactly. If you are patient like I was you can pick one up over in CPFmarketplace for a fair price.

Dennis

Newly Enlightened
dennis, it's a clicky, so it's a no-go.

Oh, missed that. Then jssp78's recommendation above is about your only choice aside from a LX2 but not a current SF offering. I have a few e2 bodies kicking around with twisties and one with a new SF head would be about as simple as it gets. To save $ get an old E2 off the Equipment Exchange here and add a LumensFactory LED head. Probably well under $100 total.

I can't think of any other lights with twisty tailcaps.

Dennis.

jssp78

Newly Enlightened
If you own a Surefire E2E, replace the lamp with a led drop-in made by Kuku.
They have different models and they do have single levels.
250 lumens but they are more of the floody type.

victory

Enlightened
Well, looks like the LX2 is it if i don't want a frankenlight. Amazing that no one else makes a suitable light. Listen up manufacturers: there's a market for simple.

victory

Enlightened
Just snagged a like-new LX2 on ebay for $120 shipped. Thank you all for your help.