ArmyTek Viking X Review - XM-L U2 - 18650/CR123

firelord777

Enlightened

Hello everyone,
I have received two new models from ArmyTek, the Viking S and Viking X. This particular review is on the Viking X. Here is the link to the sales thread from ArmyTek: http://www.cpfmarketplace.com/mp/showthread.php?260054-ArmyTek-Vikings-are-coming-)-Viking-X
These are ArmyTek’s specifications:
General Features

1. LED: Cree XML U2, 750 LED lumens
2. Power source:
Primary batteries: CR123 - 2 pcs
Rechargeable batteries: RCR123 Li-Ion - 2 pcs, 18650 Li-Ion - 1 pc
3. Sizes: length 6.1"/155 mm, head diameter 1.45"/37 mm, body diameter 1"/25.4mm
4. Weight: 4.76oz/135g.
5. The set includes:
ArmyTek Viking X G109.11 flashlight – 1 pc
Holster – 1 pc
Lanyard – 1 pc
Silicone O-rings – 2 pcs
Rubber button – 1 pc

Runtimes using Panasonic 18650 Li-Ion NCR2900mAh (down to 10% of maximum brightness):

750lm (2A) / 2h35min
520lm (1.3A) / 2h50min
90lm (0.21A) / 16h10min
7 lm / 170h

Runtimes using CR123A batteries:

750lm (2A) / 1h45min
520lm (1.3A) / 2h
90lm (0.21A) / 10h
7 lm / 140h

For high-quality batteries of other manufacturers the time can differ by up to 30% due to different expiry dates, capacity of various exemplars and their initial voltage.

Optical Features
1. The reflector of the ArmyTek Viking X G109.11 flashlight has been modeled and calculated in computer software for the design of optical systems that enabled to produce a flawless light beam for a distance more than 150 meters.
2. Ultra-transparent and tempered glass was used with anti-reflective and lens coating, normally used in photo equipment only.
3. The transparency of the glass is 98-99%.
4. The angle of the light spot is 10 degrees (depending on the modification).
5. The angle of the light spill is 36 degrees.
6. At the distance of 300 feet (92 meters), the diameter of the light spot is 16 meters.

Electrical Features
The flashlight has been designed on the basis of the new-generation electronic driver with STEP runtime technology.
1. Advanced electronic protection from incorrect battery installation, without reducing the efficiency of the driver
2. Smooth light output. Important notice: no irritating flicker effects.
3. Ecological algorithm of the stabilization control, which decreases the system power consumption, making the flashlight very effective.

Ergonomic Features
1. Removable clip, functional and easy to use.
2. The ability to use batteries with a flat contact.
3. Grip for firm holding.
4. Protection from switching on accidentally (special turn of the tailcap).
5. Strong and easily removable lanyard to avoid losing the flashlight.

Mechanical Features
1. The flashlight has a strong, difficult to break body, which is developed for a minimum weight with sufficient durability. The design of the body includes element design specifically to prevent the flashlight from rolling.
2. The flashlight is designed with the impact-resistant bezels from both sides in order to protect it from falling and allow utilization during combat situations. In the Gold and Black version the steel bezels are also covered by titanium coating with a hardness of 2000-3000HV.
3. To ensure functionality in difficult conditions, the electronic driver of the flashlight is placed in a special aluminum capsule and has been completely covered with durable compound. This actually protects it from both the environment and from mechanical damage.
4. Body cover: matte, anodized. Hardness: 350-400HV. Resistant to scratches and impacts.
5. Body material: aviation-grade aluminum T6061-T6.

Water resistance
Water resistance standard: IPX-8 (the highest)
The following technical solutions were implemented to improve water resistance of the flashlight:
1. Two silicone O-rings are installed at each side of the battery tube of the flashlight.
2. Metric profile thread has been used.
3. An O-ring has been used to increase glass sealing, and well as an extra L-ring of a specific shape.
4. All threads, rubber parts and other parts of the flashlight that experience friction or contact with water are lubricated with a special dense grease NyoGel 760G.

So, on with the review,
ArmyTek used DHL with tracking to send the Vikings, I assume that is how they will handle orders as well, either by sending an email or a PM to you. Which, BTW, they usually respond very quickly, less than a day at most.
So obviously, for us people, the wait is not a happy time. Checking the tracking number everyday and seeing it coming closer yet still so far was excruciating. Well, almost. DHL delivered it to my family while I was at school, in just 3 days from China. Wow.
Needless to say, I shredded the DHL bag and took these boxes out (the ArmyTek Predator box is there to show a comparison between packaging, and yes, the packaging is the same for both Vikings):
scaled.php

A strange thing, look at the day and time stamp on the boxes, the Viking X has his stamped the 30 of December of 2011, and the Viking S has his January 10, 2012, the same day ArmyTek shipped the lights out. Maybe for others, they can know when their light was made or shipped J
scaled.php

scaled.php

scaled.php

So here we open the box, the light in its holster and comfy Styrofoam holders.
scaled.php

scaled.php

scaled.php

scaled.php

scaled.php

Accessories are just as ArmyTek described them, except the rubber button is actually a rubber ring. J Holster is nice and feels durable, rings and o-rings inside a bag, and the lanyard in another.
So here we have the light itself:
scaled.php

Its rather simplistic looks somehow is pleasing to my eyes.
These are some pictures from the business end:
scaled.php

scaled.php

scaled.php

scaled.php

scaled.php

The Viking X has a nice decent sized smooth reflector, and very thick walls! This makes the Viking obviously feel heavier in the hand compared to lights such as the Predator.
Here it is alongside its partner, the Viking S:
scaled.php

scaled.php

The Viking S has a deeper reflector and hence, a longer head, so as this picture shows, the Viking X has a higher spill angle:
scaled.php

These are pictures showing similarities in both of the lights body, tailcap (note: none of the Vikings can tailstand alone.), grip ring, and head sizes, and obviously, the inside of their heads J:
scaled.php

scaled.php

scaled.php

scaled.php

scaled.php

scaled.php

These next few pictures are going to be comparing the Viking’s head size in comparison to other lights (The Viking X is always the third from the right, and in the group pictures, in the middle of everything):
scaled.php

scaled.php

scaled.php

Now is when the Viking X is third from the right:)
scaled.php

scaled.php

scaled.php

scaled.php

scaled.php

scaled.php

scaled.php

scaled.php

Whitewall Beamshots:
(All beamshots have equal amount of initial and reduced exposure, white balance is same as well)
ArmyTek Viking S on left, X on the right:
scaled.php

scaled.php

scaled.php

Sorry I do not have yet a full comparison against all the other lights, will upload those when as soon as I can J
Spill Comparison-This is to allow us to compare the relative spill angles from other lights:
ArmyTek Viking X is always on the left:
scaled.php

Vs. Viking S
scaled.php

Vs. ArmyTek Predator SMO
scaled.php

Vs. ArmyTek Predator OP
scaled.php

Vs. Fenix TK20
scaled.php

Vs. Cree budget light (5X Q5 emitters, 2X18650)
scaled.php

Vs. Klarus XT20
scaled.php

Vs. Fenix TK41
scaled.php

Next is a waterproof test, now, I know lights don’t like water, but these guys were quite eager to get in J
scaled.php

First up, the Viking X cannonballs inside the water, maybe the name ArmyTek Pioneer X may suit him just fine haha.
scaled.php

scaled.php

Soon, the other ArmyTek’s join in on the fun:
scaled.php

scaled.php

Not before long, the others jumped in so fast I didn’t know what just happened…
scaled.php

scaled.php

scaled.php

So, after their little pool party in my sink, I wanted to show you guys the ceiling bounce of these lights. Note: All shots have equal exposure except a few that I will mention. First picture is the regular bathroom lights: 4X60 watt incans.
scaled.php

Next is only the ArmyTek Viking X lighting up the bathroom.
scaled.php

scaled.php

This next one is the ArmyTek Viking S
scaled.php

Then, both of them (had to hold them in my hand, they cannot tailstand alone)
scaled.php

This is all four ArmyTek’s turned on.
scaled.php

Reduced exposure:
scaled.php

All of them turned on:
scaled.php

Reduced exposure:
scaled.php

scaled.php

Final kitchen shots with reduced exposure-Viking X on max mode:
scaled.php

scaled.php

scaled.php

So, overall, the Viking X is a very good light in my book. However, to be honest, for those that are picky about tints, the Viking X may not please you. My sample had a touch of green and neutral, which was fine for indoors, but outdoors, it was just spectacular for lighting up vegetation. Similar to my Fenix TK20 on BEAST mode.
UI
ArmyTek has not implemented a control ring in this model, contrary to what several were hoping for back on CPFMP. But, the UI they put in the Viking is one that is very “tactical”. Head tightened (Line 1) will always come on max mode (2 amps), no other mode is on line 1. For when you absoulutely need max quickly, a quick tighten of the head will give you just that. Line 2, which is Head loosened, will give you the other output levels. 7 lumens is very good for a low, although at times, it can be just a wee bit too bright. 90 lumens is what I would call the real middle output, and 520 lumens is just barely distinguishable from 720 lumens.
Construction
ArmyTek really gave a much needed improvement over the Predator’s body, a cigar grip ring. This gives it a much easier hold when holding it “cigar style”. It also prevents your hand from slipping, which BTW, although there is no knurling, the unique ArmyTek finish is grippier than other finishes, so no worries.
The flat bezel was also a big change for me from the Predator’s aggressive strike bezel. But seeing it is so thick as well as the whole flashlight, I think I let it grow on me. It gives it a “tank” feel, as if it is a solid, well-built, and reliable light to carry with you. Most aesthetic details from the Predator are gone, the tailcap is completely smooth, and the only head details are grooves going around the whole head.
The LED is well centered and seems to have a centering piece. 18650 do not rattle in the light.
The light cannot tailstand unfortunately, though I have seen some pictures where the cigar ring is somehow used to allow it to tailstand.
Beam
The beam from the XM-L U2 has a broad hotspot, a nice, ample corona, and gives good throw. Tint wise, if you consider yourself picky, I would advise first seeing other impressions from other members and see if the neutral tint could just be on my sample.
Lastly, I will try to upload the pictures for the beamshots, as my father is using the Klarus for his Aviation job.
If anyone has any requests, questions, or anything, feel free to post it or if preferable, PM me.
Cheers, Firelord777

Last edited:

firelord777

Enlightened
Sorry guys, I have finished inserting the rest of the pictures but when I clicked on save post, I don't know why, but was logged out and an hour worth of work was lost. Im going to sleep, but will finish it tommorow in the morning, which is in about 8 or 9 hours:)

Sorry again, Firelord

firelord777

Enlightened
Ok guys, its finished!!! Finally. Any questions and I would be more than happy to adress them:)

Cheers

duro

Enlightened
Did you buy these lights, or were they free for doing a review?

lps

Newly Enlightened
Hi Firelord, thanks for your review.

du you have the possibility to comparre the Viking S to the Fenix TK15? This would be great!

CheepSteal

Enlightened
Great review, buddy! Glad to see lots of pictures of the Vikings coming out. I really like that Viking S, very cool how they specifically made the reflector different for XP-G.

Good job!

firelord777

Enlightened
Thanks gentlemen,

Duro, the only lights I got for free was the ArmyTek Vikings for review. The Fenix TK41, TK20 and the rest O bought. Oh, the Klarus was also sent to me for review.:)

Sorry guys, I do not have a Fenix TK15 to compare to the Viking S, but I will post its review in a few days:)

And thanks Cheepsteal for your much appreciated kind words bud,

Cheers

erehwyrevekool

Enlightened
Yes I am, thank you!
Are you planning to review the Viking S? I like throwers, do you think the "S" can be plced between ThruNite TN11 and Catapult V3?
:wave:

firelord777

Enlightened
Mmm, I thought I already posted this:

Yes, the Viking S should be in between, if you have an ArmyTek Predator, the Viking will throw slightly less, but has a bit wider spot, so it throws very good with nice corona.

Hope it helps il mio amico:)

firelord777

Enlightened
Oh, and yes, I have to review the Viking S, so of course, I'll notify you if you prefer when its done:)

atu

Newly Enlightened
I am thinking of getting either viking x or Predator. Thanks for your review!

duro

Enlightened
Thanks gentlemen,

Duro, the only lights I got for free was the ArmyTek Vikings for review. The Fenix TK41, TK20 and the rest O bought. Oh, the Klarus was also sent to me for review.:)

Sorry guys, I do not have a Fenix TK15 to compare to the Viking S, but I will post its review in a few days:)

And thanks Cheepsteal for your much appreciated kind words bud,

Cheers

Nice, so you got two free vikings? How do you go about getting free lights, did you ask them and offer a review?

Thanks

firelord777

Enlightened
Well, I didn't ask them directly, I had already done a previous review on the Predators comparing their OP and SMO models, and when I sent them the link via PM, they said that they will for sure send me their lights for review.

As for free, they aren't free in my mind, not even close. I know it may not seem like much, but I put an immense amount of effort and time on my part to make these reviews, not to mention I still have to do this review in Spanish and Italian at other forums, and the same goes for the Viking S. The only reason I prefer to do this is because I am still a student and am commited to my studies, so I don't have a job, and I don't think my family will enioy paying for these lights if you know what I mean:)

Cheers, feel free to PM me if you would like additional info:)

lps

Newly Enlightened
Hi Firelord,
just read over it a secont time and noticed some strange things(Viking X):
- Packing list says there is a rubber button, did you have this?
- Specifications say 2 O-Rings at each side, I only could find 1 at each side.

firelord777

Enlightened
Hi Firelord,
just read over it a secont time and noticed some strange things(Viking X):
- Packing list says there is a rubber button, did you have this?
- Specifications say 2 O-Rings at each side, I only could find 1 at each side.

Yes, I also pondered over this,

The rubber button is actually the rubber ring to replace the groove in case you want to remove the grip ring.
So it was just a typo:)

And regarding the O rings, it is strange. Although no water can get inside the flashlight during the tests, maybe the review sample had just one at each end. Also, no lube comes with the light, but the threads are extremely well lubricated with a bluish grease.

Hope this helps, and tobrien, thanks:)

lps

Newly Enlightened
Yes, I also pondered over this,

The rubber button is actually the rubber ring to replace the groove in case you want to remove the grip ring.
So it was just a typo:)

And regarding the O rings, it is strange. Although no water can get inside the flashlight during the tests, maybe the review sample had just one at each end. Also, no lube comes with the light, but the threads are extremely well lubricated with a bluish grease.

Had the same thought about the rubber "button" ;)

No lube, they said that in a post somewhere at the marketplace. This is because of customs and courier services, they removed it very often.
The blueish grease seems to be the same Nyogel which was packed with the Predator lights.

But I am still confused about the O-rings... I bought my light regularly so I don't have a review sample and I can't think of a place where a second O-ring would fit.