Have you ever caused "Flashlight-Envy"?

buds224

Enlightened
In October of 2011, there was a widespread power-outage that lasted many hours in the southern california region. I was armed with my TK41, TA21, and LD20. Needless to say, it was amazing how many neighbors didn't have any flashlights and were left in the dark as night set in.

Our house was basically illuminated by the TK41 in a tail stand on Medium while we maneuvered around the house with the other lights. I definitely felt the flashlight-envy that night as the neighbors hung outside of their homes staring at us (the moonlight was actually pretty bright that night; better to be outside than in compete darkness indoors).

*** I always got weird looks from friends that didn't share my interest in flashlights, but I bet they thought of me that night. LOL ***

What's your story?

Last edited:

Echo63

Flashlight Enthusiast
A couple of weeks ago i was using my Maxabeam to light a dark spot in a fire scene, so i could get a decent picture (it was too dark next to the bright fire truck

The cops at the roadblock exclaimed "OMFG thats a bright light, i gotta get me one of those"
I let them have a little play, shine it around and play with the electronic focus/strobe/high switching, light stuff up a kilometre away, and they were both very impressed, till i told them the price.

They were certainly envious, but that stopped when they found out the price

Scenic

Newly Enlightened
I keep hoping for a situation where I can bust out a cool flashlight to show off. I always hope the power will go out but it never does. When the power flickers, my wife gets worried that the power will cut out, and I secretly hope it will. Funny part is, no one around will think the flashlights are as cool as I think they are, unless there happens to be another flashlight enthusiast around. (rare chance)

buds224

Enlightened
A couple of weeks ago i was using my Maxabeam to light a dark spot in a fire scene, so i could get a decent picture (it was too dark next to the bright fire truck

The cops at the roadblock exclaimed "OMFG thats a bright light, i gotta get me one of those"
I let them have a little play, shine it around and play with the electronic focus/strobe/high switching, light stuff up a kilometre away, and they were both very impressed, till i told them the price.

They were certainly envious, but that stopped when they found out the price

Woah, just looked up Maxabeam, that's dope!

Quiksilver

Enlightened
I keep hoping for a situation where I can bust out a cool flashlight to show off. I always hope the power will go out but it never does. When the power flickers, my wife gets worried that the power will cut out, and I secretly hope it will. Funny part is, no one around will think the flashlights are as cool as I think they are, unless there happens to be another flashlight enthusiast around. (rare chance)

You should sabotage the grid in your area ...

Richub

Enlightened
I caused flashlight envy on several occasions:

One time I showed my Fenix TK35 to a friend, and ended up having to hand it to him several times in the weeks after that. He finally bought it, and showed it off to all of his family and friends. ;)
Unfortunately he died 2 months later... Whenever I use my TK35 now, it still makes me think of him, and how happy he was with that TK35.

Yesterday, I saw a couple of security officers shining their little dim flashlights ( LedLenser V2's with halfway depleted batteries, I think) on a small bush, as they thought somebody was hiding there. I used my TK15 to shed some (a lot) more light to that bush, and indeed, a guy was hiding there. After they had a talk with him, they turned to me to ask what that bright light was. Envious eyes... LOL.

Last summer I was with my parents. One evening we drove back home and I discovered that my dad had a really pitiful flashlight in his glove compartment. It made me laugh out loud, and I compared it to my Fenix E05.
That flashlight was a 2x C cell, putting out around 10-15 lumens of purple light. My E05 busted it with 30 lumens of white light. The next day my dad went to the store, and proudly showed me his own E05. :) He spent over an hour on his computer to find a store where they sold Fenix flashlights.
He never showed it, but boy, he was so envious of my E05. :devil:

Last edited:

buds224

Enlightened
I caused flashlight envy on several occasions:

One time I showed my Fenix TK35 to a friend, and ended up having to hand it to him several times in the weeks after that. He finally bought it, and showed it off to all of his family and friends. ;)
Unfortunately he died 2 months later... Whenever I use my TK35 now, it still makes me think of him, and how happy he was with that TK35.

Yesterday, I saw a couple of security officers shining their little dim flashlights ( LedLenser V2's with halfway depleted batteries, I think) on a small bush, as they thought somebody was hiding there. I used my TK15 to shed some (a lot) more light to that bush, and indeed, a guy was hiding there. After they had a talk with him, they turned to me to ask what that bright light was. Envious eyes... LOL.

Last summer I was with my parents. One evening we drove back home and I discovered that my dad had a really pitiful flashlight in his glove compartment. It made me laugh out loud, and I compared it to my Fenix E05.
That flashlight was a 2x C cell, putting out around 10-15 lumens of purple light. My E05 busted it with 30 lumens of white light. The next day my dad went to the store, and proudly showed me his own E05. :) He spent over an hour on his computer to find a store where they sold Fenix flashlights.
He never showed it, but boy, he was so envious of my E05. :devil:

I enjoyed the read. Since we don't always find ourselves in these types of situations, it's nice to hear about them, and maybe others that we hadn't thought could happen to us. Thanks for sharing.

jimbo@stn23

Newly Enlightened
While demolishing a gas plant the hydrovac guys were having a tough time on a bright day to see a fire water line we wanted to expose. There was mud and rocks about 10 or 12 feet down and plenty of shadows. They were lowering a LED streamlight on a rope to try and see. I had a C2 with AW123's and a P90 to light up what we wanted to see. They couldn't believe the light from such a small package.

HIDC

Banned
24w HID Flashlight in the trunk. It's now been replaced with a much more compact TK35.

In a recent brush with EMS and Police, we had a great discussion on lights and I gave away a few new L2D I had stashed away just for a time like this. They had 2AA incan Maglites. There is one thing that's true though -- a week used by them is equiv to a few months or a year used by us given the abuse the light goes through.

dajab77

Newly Enlightened
We had a summer a few years ago when we would have a power outage about twice a month. I didn't have the collection I do now and now we haven't had a single outage. Which is good but next time we have one I'm ready. So up to this point I am still waiting to show off my collection with a purpose.

Echo63

Flashlight Enthusiast
Woah, just looked up Maxabeam, that's dope!
It's a big heavy light (not too much bigger than the good old eveready dolphin most Aussies are familiar with though)
but if you want an impressive light, this is it, a big white needle of light reaching out, it will happily reach out and touch the clouds.

Just saw the pricing on them....Woah to that too.:huh:
Yes they are a bit pricey to buy new but I paid a lot less than that for mine.
It's still the most expensive light i have though.

PhillyRube

Enlightened
I was out on a crime scene..the forensics tech and the detectives were carrying their issue SL20X lights, with their stock yellow beams. I broke out my Jetbeam BC40.....all of them were like gaga over it. Price was right, but no one wanted to play with the 18650 batteries. So back to my truck and out comes my SL20X with the Terralux dropin...now I have their attention, and another order to BatteryJunction...heheheh

buds224

Enlightened
Very cool. I remember being turned off by rechargeable batteries, but now that I have a FEW lights, it's the only way to go. I have primaries as backups. Once you get started on these lights, it's amazing what you learn and how your thinking evolves.

Bigmac_79

Flashlight Enthusiast
I took my P-Rocket XM-L with me on a camping trip with some friends. One of the guys was bragging to everyone else about this outdoorsman type club he had recently joined, and all of high-end gear he had to purchase for it, including a "super bright" flashlight. As it got dark, he pulled out a large rechargeable mag-light, and was showing it off. After letting him have a little fun, I pulled my P-Rocket out of my pocket and turned it on medium, which provoked a lot of "whoa, his is brighter than yours and he just pulled it out of his pocket!", then I turned it on high. He didn't talk to me the rest of the weekend.

Samy

Enlightened
At an outdoor BBQ last night night I took my SC51 out of my pocket to shine around and light up my friend's backyard to see how far it went. My friend was shocked with its brightness. "what is that?" a Zebralight. "how much?" and then "I want one!"

Cheers

Burgess

Flashaholic
Actually . . . .

i STILL cause considerable envy when folks see my Fenix L2D-CE (2xAA) flashlight.

Keep in mind, this ~4 year old device has the "Lowly" flux-bin P4.

:whistle:
_