Imalent
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Have you ever caused "Flashlight-Envy"?

Default Re: Have you ever caused "Flashlight-Envy"?

Quote Originally Posted by ledmitter_nli View Post
    And my Kenji 5 amp Quad R5 XPG P60 dropin makes the XT11 look kinda "cute" in comparison as well. And it's a slightly smaller form factor - to boot!

In much the same way my 50w HID would overpower your Kenji quad

I need throw more than flood in my work lights, runtime over showtime
    My modest collection HERE & 55w HID spotlight project HERE

Quote Originally Posted by M@elstrom View Post
    In much the same way my 50w HID would overpower your Kenji quad

I need throw more than flood in my work lights, runtime over showtime

HID is an entirely different class!

No really, the XT11 is nice. But for serious output in true candlepowerforums resolve, we're going to have to settle for multiple core cpu's, errr, I mean multiple emitter configs and pushing batteries near to their breaking points. It's the only way, for now. I love this hobby

There is a sharp dividing line between the flashaholic and the non-flashaholic. The flashaholic (upon seeing your light) goes, "Wow, I need one of those!" The non-flashaholic wants to know what it costs. "You paid how much for that thing?" They don't get it.

Quote Originally Posted by ledmitter_nli View Post
    No really, the XT11 is nice. But for serious output in true candlepowerforums resolve, we're going to have to settle for multiple core cpu's, errr, I mean multiple emitter configs and pushing batteries near to their breaking points. It's the only way, for now. I love this hobby

From the reviews I've seen for those quads I'll admit they do output considerable amounts of light but it's pretty much just a flood light, a light with some degree of throw is a necessary requirement as is some reasonable amount of runtime, applicable UI and 18650/multi-cell support... the Kenji Quad's runtime @ 5A off a 2500mAh cell that'd be around 30 minutes wouldn't it? not likely to last a 12 hr shift is it? thus not practical as a work light (at least for me antway)

Runtime in preference to showtime
    My modest collection HERE & 55w HID spotlight project HERE

^^^ I'm using a 3,100 redilast but haven't been able to test. Too hot to handle

But yeah it's a wall of light pocket rocket. The XT11 admittingly probably has brighter lux (more blinding hotspot even with less lumens), but 1,700+ lumens is still intimidating.

I use it mostly for wow and AHHH!!!RAPE!!!!HELP!!ME!! Short durations.

funny. Your neighbours would purchase more flashlights to compete with yours.
    love Fenix!

The male RN that was taking care of my mother couldn't stop playing with her Icon Rogue II, which was green, my mother's favorite color. She said he would drop by during his night shift just to shine it at the ceiling and even asked to borrow it for his night rounds. She said no, get your own!
    Be a Light In the Universe

Cool Re: Have you ever caused "Flashlight-Envy"?

In 2008 I bought a Wolfeyes 24 watt Boxer a compact HID which takes 3x18650 cells. I took this on a torchlight tour at the Brooklands museum. There is a part of the tour that takes place outside on a disused race track and wooded area's followed by a long tunnel. The brightest lights I came across was a couple of guys waving their 3D incan Maglites around with the biggest grin in the world.

After a quick tour around the garages and aircraft hanger, we went outside up test hill. Everyone turned their lights on while I pointed my 24w Boxer HID in the air while it powered up. The two chaps was feeling extremely smug shinning their 3D Mags around. I can only assume they had installed the Xenon bulb over the standard white star Krypton bulb for more output and throw. Then I started to shine my light and everyone stopped and looked at the beam. It certainly created a wow factor back in 2008. I kept hearing whispers, what is that uber light.

With my MagLites, no. I do hope to change all that though. I think my first buy will be a Fenix.

My wife told me a story of something that happened recently. Her ship was in port and had a power outage. She was in the mess decks and noticed everyone using cheap incandescent lights. She described them as yellow lights lighting up their food as they ate. She busted out the Fenix LD20 I gave her and, in a tail-stand, lit up the entire mess deck to the point where everyone can navigate around without a flashlight. She knew she had everyones attention when they shut off their lights and went about their business. I told her that if no one commented on her light, it was due to flashlight envy. LOL.

I was out camping with some friends this weekend and brought some lights. Since it was woody without much wide open area I chose floodier lights. I used a Preon P0 on a lanyard attached to my shorts to keep on me all the time and for use inside the tent and I also had a Shiningbeam Blaze on low for my walking around doing stuff light. Once I showed people the high mode (about 500 OTF) in this very dark area they thought it was the most amazing light they'd ever seen. Less than half the size of all the mags and several times the output. Haha one guy simply said "it lights up.....everything".

Quote Originally Posted by Wiggle View Post
    I was out camping with some friends this weekend and brought some lights. Since it was woody without much wide open area I chose floodier lights. I used a Preon P0 on a lanyard attached to my shorts to keep on me all the time and for use inside the tent and I also had a Shiningbeam Blaze on low for my walking around doing stuff light. Once I showed people the high mode (about 500 OTF) in this very dark area they thought it was the most amazing light they'd ever seen. Less than half the size of all the mags and several times the output. Haha one guy simply said "it lights up.....everything".

Just had our Halloween here on base last night. Needless to say, the general population only had, at best, 2-4 D Maglites. I was surprised I didn't see any surefires seeing as we live on a Naval base. And all were surprised to see my PD35. Lots of looky-loos checking out a small (compared to D cell lights) stick putting out so much light.

Flashaholic*

Most of the maintenance personnel at work (and a few security guards!!!) pull out incandescent Mini-Mags and I'll pull out my ThruNite T10 set to medium. They can't believe that my single AA puts out more light and for longer time than their 2AA incandescents and I still have a high mode that I try not to show them. Most of them have upgraded to LED by now.

^ I have not yet been the cuase of envey, but I do now have a D40A in NW on its way...MUWHAHAHA!!!

Hopefully I can convert some people (if they dont run off when they find out the price :-[ )
    I blame CPF for handing me the dope and whispering, "the first one's free....."
    (Originally by Dss_777 on 14/11/2013)

Recently I started using a Spanninga Supra (around 50-60 lumens) bike light for the daily bike trips home from work. It's quicker to mount on my bike than using a Fenix mount & LD25 and leaves my better flashlights ready for use in my coat pockets.

Yesterday I was driving through a particularly dark road where the lighting had failed to turn on and grabbed my TK35 on high to add some lighting to avoid unseen dangers on the road. A fellow bicyclist decided to stay near me to travel safe. He had one of those cheapo headlights, and couldn't see squat on that road.
    At the end of the road I was accompanied by 3 other bikers, and boy, was that young man next to me ever so envious of my TK35!
    He even tried to get it off my hands ("Let me hold it, please...") to dart off with it, but I saw in his eyes what he was up to. I didn't get mad at him as nothing really happened, and he went on his way.
    Everybody minds about their make-up, while they should be making their minds up.

My flashlight collection.

You guys have way more luck then me, people walking with their 20 lumen iPhone flashlight do not even bat an eyelid when i turn on a 6000 lumen, half a million lux Firefox HID, which still happens to fit in a pocket. I give up trying to impress anyone now, and keep my things to myself. Better that way.

Quote Originally Posted by yifu View Post
    You guys have way more luck then me, people walking with their 20 lumen iPhone flashlight do not even bat an eyelid when i turn on a 6000 lumen, half a million lux Firefox HID, which still happens to fit in a pocket. I give up trying to impress anyone now, and keep my things to myself. Better that way.
    You know what that means right?

You need a brighter light!

XM18...should do the trick.
    I blame CPF for handing me the dope and whispering, "the first one's free....."
    (Originally by Dss_777 on 14/11/2013)

Night shift training at work. My co-worker pulled out this monstrous multi LED flashlight, my tiny master-craft, 200 lumen flashlight that I bought for $25, the beam totally dwarfed his massive light. quality > quantity. I think his light had 92 LEDs? Mine had 1 cree, and you could stick it in your pocket. His light weighed like 5 lbs.

Flashaholic

I have definitely caused flashlight envy back on Labor Day weekend. My cousin was absolutely enthralled with my Deft-x when I was down there. I could not get it out of his hands for the two nights I was there. I sent down a Crelant 7G5CS with the collimator head attached and he like it well enough to go out and buy his own which was his first good flashlight. I feel so bad leading someone else down the path of flashaholicism.
    Life is all about having the very best lights.

My EDC+ triple XPG2 in a Surefire 6P. Friend of mine has a 47 Quark which is already plenty bright, but when he played with my triple, he just kept pouring over it and commenting how bright it was.

1st incident was with my old man.
    During dinner, he signaled me to look under the table at his new 9-LED flashlight, running on 3xAA.
    I took out my Solarforce w/ a 3A XM-L dropin.
    He kept his immediately, took mine to play around (which includes looking into the emitter & turning it on) before saying, "Thanks boy, I'll take this"...
    Of course that was my lego-ed host, so i bought him another L2P with a similar dropin.

2nd incident was a minor blackout at work.
    The facility guys came blasting their bulky torchlights, which was putting out pretty dim light.
    Out came my same Solarforce to help them through their repair work.
    And after that, they all commented on how small the flashlight is but yet so bright.
    They couldn't believe something so small could throw out so much light.

- JonK

It was in the late 80s I believe when I got a Laser Products 6P. Every time I used it people were amazed. Then they asked how much it was. When I told them I paid $40 for it they looked at me like I was crazy and said "You paid $40 for a flashlight?".

One day in the early Eighties I was in the basement of a museum when the lights went out and incredibly there were no emergency lights. I happened to have a four battery Maglite with me because I was and, well, still am really eccentric. I mean who takes a Maglite to the museum right? Needless to say the people around me had flashlight envy because they didn't have flashlights. I remember this one elderly lady asked me if she could accompany me out of the darkness. It wasn't far to the stairs and the lights did not stay off very long as I recall.
    ​A ​light is only as good as you think it is.

Only once ... Co-worker at my last job, in a security hut. Lights didn't work and his crappy little light he bought for duty-use was pathetic compared to my (back then) stock SureFire L1. He gave me a bit of a dirty look after I fired it up. Oh well, he should have bought a proper light for use on the job.
    "The World is insane. With tiny spots of sanity, here and there... Not the other way around!" - John Cleese.

So living in Japan for 2 years now and the power grid has been 100% reliable through the coldest of cold and the hottest of summers.

Yesterday, we ended up in an all day flurry of snow and it was stacking up to be more than anyone had ever expected or seen. As soon as the evening rolled around the power started going in and out at our Navy Housing Tower. Facebook chats revealed it was the entire CFAY Naval base that was going in and out since we were dependent on TEPCO (Yokosuka's power company). The Entire city was on the brink of losing power.

OK, time to setup up 1 specific room to shack up in, the heat is no longer guaranteed at this point. Me, the Mrs. and 2 kids (7yo girl 3yo boy) setup up our bedtime area in the living room. Power on.....power off.....power back on. x2 LD20s with diffuser cones set on low with eneloops in them. Bring it! TK41 on standby with fresh eneloops in them. Armytek Predator on a low to mid setting pointed at chandelier to simulate normal room lighting to keep the kids calm. x3 ipads on standby for entertainment.....battery powered DVD players keeping the kids busy. Alcohol heaters on standby. Power off.....back on.....back off. Food ready, gas burning stove at the ready....5 cases of bottled water at the ready. We were ready.

I decided to look out my window and saw my poor van out in the cold. Same make/model/color as the Breaking Bad van that does the "witness protection" style pickup.

Power out.....power back on. As I looked out the windows, I could see the entire base going from "well lit" to complete darkness. Are you serious??? No one was prepared? I don't see any light coming from any of the other units, at least from what I could tell. Our immediate neighbor was peeking at us as I had a couple of lights by our windows (TA21 with diffuser cones at 2 windows; both set to lowest modes for best runtimes).

Needless to say, the grid held up pretty well for the rest of the night, still going in and out, but at shorter intervals.

Lots of Facebook chatter, the next morning, about how people were just not prepared since Japan's power grid is normally very stable and reliable. People losing water pressure, losing their heat completely, and not having candles or flashlights. I've informed them that they could use their electric ovens as heaters if they have small children and their place is freezing cold. Other than that, I hope they learned a valuable lesson as we are forecasted for more snow this week.

Beautiful morning for us though. Well prepared for such an event and slept like babies all through the night. The kids were none the wiser.

Good morning from this flashaholic from the land of the rising sun.

One clear lesson of September 11 is that individual civilians need to take responsibility for maximizing the probability that they will survive, should disaster strike.

Great story and pictures! I'm glad that you and your family were prepared.

I have had many situations where I caused a little bit of flashlight envy, but the ones that stand out most in my mind are at night hikes with other people in public. There are a few nature centers nearby, and once in a while they have night hikes that anyone can attend. Usually I only use the lower modes of my lights though because no one has anything very bright. Also, a big draw of some of these events is to walk in the dark to enjoy the sights and sounds of nature with no extra illumination.

Either way I usually wait until after most people leave to really let my lights free, and it almost always impresses the people running the programs. They do appreciate the fact that I didn't take away from the mystery of walking around with dim lights during the program though.

On one occasion I couldn't help but turn my Fenix TK45 on before a hike. Someone was bragging about how bright his flashlight was, and he was shining it around the parking lot and into the woods. It was probably about 50 or 100 lumens maybe. He was a friendly guy, but I just had to show him how bright some other lights were at the time (this was a couple of years ago or so), so I showed him the TK45 on turbo. His jaw dropped, and he kept talking about how cool that light is. It was then brought up a few times when people wanted to see something better during the hike.

Now I have had the TK75 for over a year, and I actually haven't gone on one of those hikes with it in that time period. I'll have to get out there again. But I definitely won't be using that light on anything except the lowest mode while other people are around for fear of ruining the night vision aspect of the hike. Although maybe if someone else seems interested in bright lights I'll stretch its legs.

I think I also mentioned this somewhere before, but my wife and I went to England and visited a couple different caverns. On both of those trips I used my main EDC (the Fenix PD32UE) on turbo to illuminate the underground formations. The tour guide was impressed with the light's output and joked about his light being "rubbish" for the rest of the trip. He actively encouraged us to light things up for him so that people could see better. I should have brought the TK75 along for those trips as well because we could have better illuminated some of the bigger rooms that way.

It's always nice when that happens. I had a similar experience last halloween. Maglites galore on the base. PD32UE in hand and holstered PD35 on my hip.

I like that the tour guide on your Euro trip acknowledged a great light and encouraged its usage. Pretty cool!!!
    One clear lesson of September 11 is that individual civilians need to take responsibility for maximizing the probability that they will survive, should disaster strike.

This past summer we took the grandkids on a cub scout camping trip.
    They each had a 2AA light, and my daughter and I, each a small 18650 light.
    I brought two larger 18650 lights, in case there was a need for SAR during the night. One never knows when traveling with 50 kids.
    One of the lights I brought was the Defiant Super Thrower. It's an XML driven at amps with a large head. I use a spacer and an 18650 in it.
    I thought that at night, around the campfire, all the kids would be showing off their lights, and I didn't want my grandkids to be out-shown. I brought it to the campfire, just in case.

The scoutmaster walked 150 feet away, and asked for someone to shine a light in his direction. At that distance, it was like an area light for him. I heard WOW!!! from him, and a few others. Envious? probably not, but impressed? Absolutely

That was the only time that light was lit during the trip. I didn't want others to think I was over-compensating for other shortages

I think there's a time and place for putting out huge lumens. When I go camping I find that buddies that just picked up the 6-pack from Costco and can make some big light can't wait to unleash. I'm the opposite where I feel at camp you use as little light as possible.

That being said, I love blowing away guys with lights that run too low or too hot or for too short when it really counts.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123