26650 Batteries for the Big Bruiser?

380long

Newly Enlightened
I just ordered a Electrolumens Big Bruiser and would like to purchase 26650 batteries before it arrives. There do not seem to be a lot of options which has me a little concerned and I am new to high end flashlights. Does anyone have any suggestions? How about the High Power LiNiCoMn 26650 3.6V 3600maH from batteryspace.com? This is my first post...so thanks in advance for any advice you can lend!

LEDAdd1ct

Flashlight Enthusiast
Domestically, your options in 26650 are 4sevens and Batteryspace. If you don't mind tipping your wallet overseas, the King Kong 26650 gets very high marks from International Outdoor.

Make sure the cell can handle the current, and make sure that you are equipped to handle the cell.

380long

Newly Enlightened
Another 26650 battery question?

Will this battery perform ok in a Big Bruiser flashlight? It has a protected circuit for charge/discharge built in, also it is 3.7V 4800mAh with a max peak discharge of 20A and max continuous discharge of 10A. Also if it will work can I safely charge it in a 4Sevens single bay charger. This battery stuff is so confusing and is giving me one heck of a headache!

TEEJ

Flashaholic
The 4sevens 26650 is 3900 mAh on the label at least.

This would be a bit better than the 3600 one you mentioned.

380long

Newly Enlightened
The 4Sevens cell will not work in the Big Bruiser according to Wayne at Electrolumens.

LEDAdd1ct

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Another 26650 battery question?

Can you please tell us which battery you are referring to?

I have never heard of a battery that matches those specs. While my knowledge is not comprehensive, there is no 26650 I know of with those published specs.

EDIT: A quick google shows there is a brand called "Keygos" 3.7V 4800mAh being sold with those specs. I have never heard of this brand. There is one major reason to discount them immediately:

LiMn batteries have a smaller capacity than their LiCo counterparts. I know of no LiCo 26650 cell with 4800mAh capacity. Therefore, it is unlikely there is a LiMn battery with those specifications.

Until there is a review or at least some posts about that cell, I would avoid.

Last edited:

380long

Newly Enlightened

LEDAdd1ct Wayne from Electrolumens sent me the link to the batteries I listed above so I figured for $19.99 I would give them a try. There are not a lot of options so if they do not work I will have to wait until someone in the US starts stocking something new.

380long

Newly Enlightened
Wayne from Electrolumens said they need to have a 10A maximum continuous discharge rate so I do not think they will work. Thank you for sending me the link.

380long

Newly Enlightened
Keygos 26650

Anyone have any experience with the Keygos 3.7V 4800mAh Li-ion battery from Hong Kong?

LEDAdd1ct

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Keygos 26650

Since these came up in your other thread, I've been curious about them as well.

There is no information on them out yet.

I wonder who the true OEM is.

Now that there is a dedicated thread for them, hopefully at some point members can post their tests/informal evaluations on them. :)

jasonck08

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Keygos 26650

They look exactly like MNKE cells. I suspect they are, and that the 4800mAh is overstated capacity. MNKE was the only company in China making 4000mAh 26650 IMR's, and for a few months now has stopped production. Yes other cells with 4000mAh+ exist, but they are either INR or LiCo chemistry.

jasonck08

Flashlight Enthusiast

I posted something similar in the other thread about these cells. I suspect these could be old stock, used, or reject MNKE cells and that the capacity is way overstated.

I also bought some MNKE samples from Hong Kong that appeared used (listed as new), and they only did 2000mAh @ 10A. Real new cells do 4000mAh @ 10A.

Last edited:

Norm

Retired Administrator

Please keep all your 26650 questions in the one thread, there is no need to start three separate threads - Norm

380long

Newly Enlightened

Sorry Norm, i'm new here and in the future I will.

OneBigDay

Enlightened

I think what you are looking for is something like Batteryspace /High-Power-LiNiCoMn-26650-Rechargeable-Cell. These are rated at an 18 amp discharge rate.

As far as I can tell the orange 3600mAh/18Amp cells have only been listed for a couple days, and they say "call" to order, so obviously there is a supply issue of some kind. Battery Space used to have a similar cell that was also orange and 4000mAh and IIRC rated at a 20 amp discharge. I had emailed them a long time ago about these and they said these were some of their best selling batteries. I am not battery expert but I have been using the orange battery space 4000mAh 26650's for a couple years and they work great. No idea if they actually deliver 4000mAh but I think they are well regarded in general. Hopefully they will be able to source some of these cells again in the future.

The international outdoor store has 0 stock on MNKE 26650s and I have no idea about the king kong brand - there is no discharge rate listed on the king kongs so I would avoid unless you can verify the discharge rate. I just purchased a couple bits and pieces from this store and my experience was good (had some customer service things to work out), but the whole transaction took forever. It was a good 6 weeks from when I placed the order until I had the goods in hand.

The 26650 is a great cell and there are a lot more choices for 26650 lights than there were a couple years ago, it is nice to see the custom builders and manufacturers respond to this niche. However I have always watched the cell availability since I started using these cells because I feared there may reach a point where they were no longer available. For me what put me over the tipping point is that you can always use an 18650 in a PVC sleeve in a pinch with these 26650 lights - this was enough "future proof" insurance for me.

Sales Links Removed - Norm

Last edited by a moderator:

TEEJ

Flashaholic

I have the 4sevens single bay charger, I just charged (2) 4sevens 4000 mAh 26650's with it (I just got all of this stuff last night...). It DOES say V3 on the charger, and nothing caught fire or fulminated thus far at least.

Worked like a charm.

:D

380long

Newly Enlightened

OneBigDay, I called Battery Space yesterday referring to the batteries that say call to order and they are no longer in stock or being manufactured. My only hope are these Hong Kong Keygos...I will have my Big Bruiser Friday and no batteries so I guess it's more like a little bruiser at best! I may have made a "BIG" mistake ordering it since batteries with the proper discharge rate are like vaporware.

LEDAdd1ct

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's all about knowing where to look, my friend, and in this case, the looking is easy.

Grab your dollars and head over to the Marketplace, and place a "WTB" for one or two MNKE 26650 cells. I guarantee you will be able to find one or two. If I've learned anything from this hobby, it is that somewhere out there is exactly what you want, sitting on someone's shelf gathering dust. If I ever find myself in the opposite position, I try and move things on for someone else to enjoy.

Good luck in your search. You will find them.

dudemar

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just noticed these Keygos 26650s pop up on eBay a few days ago. They do look identical to the MNKE cells. There are a few problems I have with the listings. They say they're protected cells, yet by their own admission they're 26mm X 65mm cells and are claimed 4800mAh. If anything the protection circuit should've taken up more room and would've reduced capacitance.

My hope is they overstated capacity and they're really unprotected cells, but I can't say for sure. The only way to know is to buy a few and find out.

Last edited: