My first Mag-lite upgrades

MagFanNL

Newly Enlightened
Hi,

I'm planning to do my first Mag-lite upgrade. I liked them for years, but with the incandescent bulb they are like dinosaurs. And I always liked the fact that my Mag-lite was the brightest light on school camps and such. But other smaller led lights are better these days. So I decided to upgrade mine.

Next to my bed I have a 5D Mag-lite and a 3D in my car. After some research I decided that some Terralux drop-ins would be best for me and because I don't want to mess up the original body. And they were better available here in the Netherlands than the Malkoffs.

I ordered 3 led modules:

1. TerraLUX TLE-310M-EX (for a 4 to 6D)
2. TerraLUX TTS-3WCR90 (for a 4 to 6D)
3. TerraLUX TTS-3WCR45 (for a 2 or 3D)

Yes, I have 2 Mag-lites and ordered 3 led modules. I'm thinking of selling my 5-cell and buy a 4- and/or 6-cell in return.

My question for you guys is, does the TLE-310M-EX in a 6D body give me more light than a 4D? Because they claim to have 1000 lumen in all suitable bodies. Or will it give an improvement in runtime?

And do you guys have any other tips for me? About the batteries and such.

LilKevin715

Enlightened
The TLE-310M-EX uses a buck circuit. So any additional voltage (battery cells) will reduce current draw and will result in longer runtime. As for battery advice alkaline's won't have that great of a runtime, rechargeable Nimh would be better. The TLE-310 is a upgraded model of the TLE-300/TLE-300M, you can find plenty of info by searching the forums.

MagFanNL

Newly Enlightened
The TLE-310M-EX uses a buck circuit. So any additional voltage (battery cells) will reduce current draw and will result in longer runtime. As for battery advice alkaline's won't have that great of a runtime, rechargeable Nimh would be better. The TLE-310 is a upgraded model of the TLE-300/TLE-300M, you can find plenty of info by searching the forums.

Thanks for your reaction Kevin,

I've read a lot of info here on the forum. But didn't came across the information I was looking for. But I'm a fan of longer runtimes so a 6D it is, and a 4D and 2D :naughty: Because I don't use the flashlights very regulary so alkaline's will be fine for me. Maybe that I get some Nimh's in the future.

MagFanNL

Newly Enlightened
Sorry guys,

I've made a mistake. The TTS-3WCR45 XPG-R5 for 2/3 cell and the TTS-3WCR90 CREE XPG-R5 LED Bulb for 4/5/6 cell Maglite. Aren't from Terralux, but specially made for thetorchsite.co.uk They're similar to the Terralux ones but they use the Cree LED rather than the Philips one. Maybe that I'll do a review on them, but i'm not an expert and don't have anything to compare them with. Any tips?