Battery Junction - Olight
Page 16 of 18 FirstFirst ... 69101112131415161718 LastLast

Thread: SHOT Show 2012: Surefire 'New Products'

Default Re: SureFire DM2 Defender 500 Lumen Programmable Flashlight

Quote Originally Posted by Lodogg2221 View Post
    Other than the output, the difference is the color tint...Ultra is a yellow/green according to Surefire. Whitewall hunters will be disappointed for sure...
    Haha whitewall hunters...

Sounds like a neat package all around. Do we know if the programming allows you to add a strobe mode or not?

Default Re: SureFire DM2 Defender 500 Lumen Programmable Flashlight

Nevermind, looks like you can!

Default Re: SHOT Show 2012: Surefire 'New Products'

I wouldn't count on the programming dongle being available anytime soon...at least not until all of the rechargeable lights have been released. I've been told that it's been relegated to the back burner until then...

I remember some were speculating that SF would package the dongle with the lights but what you said has cleared up the air. So we now know that SF would indeed sell the dongle as an optional accessory. I wonder how much it would cost then.
    The love of light is the reason why I don't walk in darkness. But darkness has it's beauty...Sadly, my lights are much more beautiful!!
    Beam shots Night Trekking with HDS high CRI and McGizmo Haiku & Mule high CRI

Well thats BS. Sorry, I love Surefire, but for them to have and advertise programmable lights, and let us buy them, but NOT give us the ability to program them, well, like I said, thats BS.
    Now if all the rechargeables are going to be released within 30 days of the first (the Lawman), then fine, but still, it should be packaged with the light.

There was no promise that the programming dongle would be immediately available or included with any of the programmable lights...

Quote Originally Posted by Robin24k View Post
    There was no promise that the programming dongle would be immediately available or included with any of the programmable lights...
    I understand, but they make it a big part of their advertising so far for the new lights, so it would only make sense to have it available when the first of the lights are released, not the last of them.
    They already have it developed, otherwise they wouldnt know if it worked, and Ive seen videos of it working, so, again, its not all that hard for them to do it, its just that as of now, like you said, they put production of it on the back burner.

It wont affect me buying any of them, but I do have a right to not be happy with them about it....

And I still say it should be packaged with the lights, as its directly related to the funciton of the light.
    Im sure its just a business decision that they dont, and thats fine, but it would make a lot more sense to have it with the lights.
    I suppose given the fact that more than a few of us will purchase multiple programmable lights, that will use the same interface, it may make more sense money wise for us to have them available separately, but again, I want it with my light so I can use all the features of said light right away.

Im not really a patient guy...lol, though I have been waiting for the Lawman for 2 years now....so maybe Im getting better...
    Last edited by Lodogg2221; 04-26-2012 at 01:22 PM.

They already have it developed, otherwise they wouldnt know if it worked, and Ive seen videos of it working, so, again, its not all that hard for them to do it, its just that as of now, like you said, they put production of it on the back burner.
    Videos? Do share...

Flashaholic*

And I still say it should be packaged with the lights, as its directly related to the funciton of the light.
    Im sure its just a business decision that they dont, and thats fine, but it would make a lot more sense to have it with the lights.
    If the lights are well designed, most users won't actually need the programmability, and therefore this would either:
    - add cost
    - reduce surefire's profit
    - or both

I am not arguing with your disappointment over this, just pointing out that innovative as this is, and as much as users of these forums would like the feature (I know I certainly would), that the number of folks in SF's core market who'd want it might really be fairly low. Would you, for example, need a dongle for every flashlight? No, you'd really only likely need just one, which you'd (presumably) use to program many lights for your organization.

What's the usage case for changing the programming of a given light more than once or twice, until it's perfect for your use? (Other than it's cool to be able to do, and people on this forum would almost certainly do interesting things.)

BTW, am I the only one who giggles a little, like an adolescent, every time they see the word "dongle"? You'd think, after 30 years, I'd get over this. But nope.

I get it about the dongle (no you arent the only one), but I think some have overblown my disappointment into disgust or something....the internet has a way of letting people decide for themselves how upset a person is...and act according to their own idea on that. I agree on all your points too about it...most wont use it, or buy it, and would probably be more disappointed than I am about having to pay for it with a light when they wont use it...as I said, its been blown out of proportion...but we have to have something to do right?

As far as videos go, one was floating around here somewhere, and it wasnt only about the programming, rather an interesting little addition to a video about all the lights and the features of them. I caught it, and caught a lot of other info that Ive shared in this thread too, though if I need a video to prove any of that info, please feel free to contact a mod to delete them, as I didnt know I would have to have documented proof and as such did not save links....my bad.

Flashaholic*

but I think some have overblown my disappointment into disgust or something....the internet has a way of letting people decide for themselves how upset a person is...
    Sorry, didn't mean to imply you shouldn't feel the way you feel, or that you were wrong to point out that SF promised a new toy, and then yanked it away into the scary and nebulous "later this year..." (There are many other times they've done this with lights that never materialized - "we'll do that later" is scary.) No argument from me on that.

Hopefully they follow through on this, and the dongles will see the light of day. (Sorry, I can't help but giggle over that last sentence...)

I have an original U2 and I'm debating going with a UM2 or something else. UM2 seems bigger and heavier with no clip. Wondering if keeping the U2 and scraping together for a UB3T for high power adventures would be worthwhile.

When's the UM2 coming out, anyway?
    Do something alone and it's weird, do it with others and it's a club.

Flashaholic

Quote Originally Posted by ABTOMAT View Post
    I have an original U2 and I'm debating going with a UM2 or something else. UM2 seems bigger and heavier with no clip. Wondering if keeping the U2 and scraping together for a UB3T for high power adventures would be worthwhile.

When's the UM2 coming out, anyway?
    Hey! You just wait your turn! They need to release my M2D yet before they get onto your UM2 :P

EB1 and UNR are scheduled for a July release.

http://www.led-resource.com/upcoming-led-products/

Great news thanks.
    I can't wait to buy a EB1.

I can't wait for Robin24k to test these!!!

Flashaholic

How reliable is that site? It mentions the eb1 as having 2 x cr123a's.

Sf is hurting right now they are trying to sub lease 75,000 sq ft of their mfg space and still have 5 years on the leas according to a friend of mine in he commercial real estate business in southern cal.

Flashaholic

OT but that could mean anything. Production ramping down from dwindling military contracts, more efficient manufacturing methods or reduction in the number of models offered are three possibilities that spring to mind.

Flashaholic*

God, im tired of waiting
    C'mon Surefire, be faster

My main concern about the EB1 is that I have no idea what the programming tool is going to cost. It would be great to be able to reprogram it to your liking but at what cost?

Quote Originally Posted by Sean View Post
    My main concern about the EB1 is that I have no idea what the programming tool is going to cost. It would be great to be able to reprogram it to your liking but at what cost?
    Then don't get the programming dongle. I believe the EB1 should serve it's purpose well given the default factory settings.
    The love of light is the reason why I don't walk in darkness. But darkness has it's beauty...Sadly, my lights are much more beautiful!!

Quote Originally Posted by pjandyho View Post
    Then don't get the programming dongle. I believe the EB1 should serve it's purpose well given the default factory settings.
    That defeats one of the great options of their new programmable lights. To be able to set it up exactly how you want. That's something I would very much like to do. Even thought I would probably drive myself crazy, changing it around all the time.
    Also, the EB1 is longer than the original backup. 4.4". The LX2 is only one inch longer at 5.4" and brighter and longer lasting. It's too bad they couldn't have kept it as short as the original.

By the way,
    Do you like your UB3T better than your 400L M3LT? Just wondering since you have had both of those for some time.

By the way,
    Do you like your UB3T better than your 400L M3LT? Just wondering since you have had both of those for some time.
    Well to be honest, even though the UB3T is noticeably brighter, I still prefer the tint of the 400 lumen M3LT. Although it is not a high CRI cool white, it produces the most accurate color rendition so far. Unfortunately I had sold the M3LT off quite some time ago. Kind of regretting the decision to sell.

Quote Originally Posted by pjandyho View Post
    Well to be honest, even though the UB3T is noticeably brighter, I still prefer the tint of the 400 lumen M3LT. Although it is not a high CRI cool white, it produces the most accurate color rendition so far. Unfortunately I had sold the M3LT off quite some time ago. Kind of regretting the decision to sell.
    I certainly understand what you are saying. One thing about the UB3T is it runs longer at 800 lumens than the M3LT runs at 400 lumens. Nice tint, short runtime.

I'm wondering what the efficiency of the EB1 is going to be when run on low compared to the older E1B version?

I certainly understand what you are saying. One thing about the UB3T is it runs longer at 800 lumens than the M3LT runs at 400 lumens. Nice tint, short runtime.

I'm wondering what the efficiency of the EB1 is going to be when run on low compared to the older E1B version?
    I don't think we will know until the actual stuff appears. Could be a new emitter they are using, and how efficient it would be also depends on the driver. Meanwhile we could only anticipate.

There is a new video about the new 2211 wristlight on their youtube channel.

Neat-o video! The acting could use some work, but that's a cool little light. I won't hold my breath, but it sure is nice.

Quote Originally Posted by schmanto View Post
    There is a new video about the new 2211 wristlight on their youtube channel.
    2211? Is that the scheduled release date? 😊
    "It used to be 'Merkwuerdigliebe'"

The new Backup looks great!

Page 16 of 18 FirstFirst ... 69101112131415161718 LastLast