Glad for still having a MagLite...

Chicken Drumstick

Flashlight Enthusiast
The trusty old D cell Mag is often over shadowed on CPF and usually with good reason. But I've just used my XPE drop in 3D one for a use I'm not sure all that many other flashlights could fulfil

Where it impressed was while I was fixing the TV aerial in the loft (attic). Being able to remove the head and expose the LED, which offered up a lovely even flood of light with no hot spots or artifacts. Just wonderful light to work in.

dalliance

Newly Enlightened
It's good to hear an innovative use like that. You've got me thinking about those old mini mags now.

enomosiki

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just be careful not to hit the emitter and de-dome it. If you do, you'll end up being stuck with the ugliest beam pattern.

HotWire

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's always good to have a headlamp available at times like that. It's also good to carry two lights. Once I got to the far side of the attic (loft) and the bulb burned out. I had to feel my way back across the nail-filled 2X4s! Removing the head of the Maglight is a good idea for area lighting.

Chicken Drumstick

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yeah I went up with 3 flashlights just encase one failed ;)

A headlamp would have been handy had I had one, but the Mag could light then entire attic up pretty evenly with no glare or obscured hot spot. Was amazed how affective it was... and there was me initially using my new EagleTac D25LC2 to begin with. Lovely light this but unable to light the same area with such an even distribution.

eebowler

Flashlight Enthusiast
Modified maglite D cell lights are in my opinion better value for money than any other D cell light out there. Well heatsinked, durable, focusable, multiple modes (depending on light)...

GaAslamp

Enlightened
Candle mode is a great way to use a flashlight as an area light. :thumbsup: That said, in a pinch one could always reflect the beam off of a diffuse surface (preferably white) such as paper or an article of clothing (one time I clipped my 90-degree angled flashlight to the collar of my white undershirt, and bounced the beam off of it). The result is somewhat directional, so it's not the same thing as a true candle mode, and it requires an accessory of some sort, but it does work.

angelofwar

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's always good to have a headlamp available at times like that. It's also good to carry two lights. Once I got to the far side of the attic (loft) and the bulb burned out. I had to feel my way back across the nail-filled 2X4s! Removing the head of the Maglight is a good idea for area lighting.

Yeah...or lights period...ALWAYS...even at home. I went into the garage the other day...it's PACKED with stuff from moving, etc.. I get to the far end, and my two year old turns the light off, shuts the door, and leaves. Did I have a flashlight on me? Hell No!!!

sniper

Enlightened
Yeah...or lights period...ALWAYS...even at home. I went into the garage the other day...it's PACKED with stuff from moving, etc.. I get to the far end, and my two year old turns the light off, shuts the door, and leaves. Did I have a flashlight on me? Hell No!!!

You just made my day!

Jash

Flashlight Enthusiast

EO5 clipped in left pants pocket, ALWAYS!