Future wife

jellydonut

Enlightened
her: Oh right :p I collect books and cameras.
me: and i collect flashlights.
her: Really? :D that is so cool!
me: ...you think so? seriously?

her: Yeah! :D I wanna see! :3
me: really?
me: i took a pic once of all the lights
me: wonder if i can find it again
her: do it! :D <3
me: http://img202.imageshack.us/img202/4122/img1870k.jpg this is from 2010, but i haven't bought all that many since then.
her: AW! i love it<3333
me: the big one is an HID, except unlike most HID's it's instant-on
me: and brighter than car headlights.
me: the others are mostly LED
her: i like it <3
her: I think that's so cool! :D do you collect all the flashlights or only a particular type?
me: well i tend to buy from function for the most part. so first i go for function, 'is this a light I want to use' (note: not 'is this a light i need?' because then I'd have 3 :nana:), then i go quality, 'is this a high-quality light that works well and will last?' and then by looks. 'does it look cool'
me: there are two brands i tend to buy for the most part, that's surefire and malkoff http://www.surefire.com/products http://malkoffdevices.com/
her: hmm i like it :p
her: that's so cool :D
her: seriously. coolest thing ever
still having a hard time wrapping my mind around that she exists. :grouphug:

dudemar

Flashlight Enthusiast

...yeah but when you meet her in real life she looks like Kimbo Slice. :D

I'm just kidding!!! I'm sure she's a beautiful Norge girl, hope you guys get together sometime! :)

mvyrmnd

Flashlight Enthusiast
You know what they say... "if it's too good to be true, it is"

But then there's always "love conquers all"

Love me, love my multi-thousand dollar flashlight collection :D

AnAppleSnail

Flashlight Enthusiast
Love me, love my multi-thousand dollar flashlight collection :D

It's not as bad as that collection photo I saw the other day of all-titanium lights. It looked more like a socket set than a group of flashlights. All shiny and arranged beautifully.

Jellydonut - good luck! Start her small. You don't want to have her hooked on too-expensive-to-gift-easily ones TOO soon :p

fyrstormer

Banned
If she collects anything that has a functional use (i.e. cameras in this case), she's got the right mindset to appreciate your collection of tools. Sounds legit to me.

And yes, they are rare. I know of exactly two women who don't look at me like I have three heads because of my flashlight collection; one is my mom, who is reminded of her father's machine shop, and the other one is a woman I hope to date if she ever finishes her damned PhD.

ErinB

Newly Enlightened
In all honesty, I really appreciate my husband's enthusiasm for flashlights/lights/LEDs/etc.

Why?

Flashlights are practical, usable, everyday items. They don't need a huge amount of space for storage, they don't require a great deal of maintenance, and I don't need any special training or practice to operate them. It's really cool that he can source lights made in the US, and it's neat to see how the technology is consistently evolving. We're not spending our weekends hunting for a specific item of limited quantity, and while I understand the allure of finding that rare ________, I'm just grateful that I don't have to participate in the chase. A recent ice storm knocked our power out for three days, and while other people had candles, we had light.

The changes he has made to the light fixtures and lamps in our home have helped the atmosphere, how it feels when you walk in. Instead of cold, prisonesque compact fluorescent light, we have nice, homey, neutral light (extremely helpful if you're cooking in the kitchen, or simply trying to figure out if two socks match :)

Future wife is just grateful you're not going to be spending hours in the garage making huge messes, or dragging her off to super boring stuff involving sports.

budynabuick

Enlightened
...yeah but when you meet her in real life she looks like Kimbo Slice. :D

I'm just kidding!!! I'm sure she's a beautiful Norge girl, hope you guys get together sometime! :)

I'm dying here. OMG LOLOLOLOLOLOL

Keith- who can't get the visual out of his head.
Had to add that i'm sitting alone laughing OUTLOUD!

budynabuick

Enlightened
In all honesty, I really appreciate my husband's enthusiasm for flashlights/lights/LEDs/etc.

Why?

Flashlights are practical, usable, everyday items. They don't need a huge amount of space for storage, they don't require a great deal of maintenance, and I don't need any special training or practice to operate them. It's really cool that he can source lights made in the US, and it's neat to see how the technology is consistently evolving. We're not spending our weekends hunting for a specific item of limited quantity, and while I understand the allure of finding that rare ________, I'm just grateful that I don't have to participate in the chase. A recent ice storm knocked our power out for three days, and while other people had candles, we had light.

The changes he has made to the light fixtures and lamps in our home have helped the atmosphere, how it feels when you walk in. Instead of cold, prisonesque compact fluorescent light, we have nice, homey, neutral light (extremely helpful if you're cooking in the kitchen, or simply trying to figure out if two socks match :)

Future wife is just grateful you're not going to be spending hours in the garage making huge messes, or dragging her off to super boring stuff involving sports.

Thia may be the female in question.

Keith

angelofwar

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well Jelly,

Judging by her responses, she seems to be pretty level headed...I mean, she can appreciate you for waht you are, and her responses weren't "fake" either. I think you have a winner!

Now, just hope she doesn't find out who "Jellydonut on CPF" is...and that yer asking for advice on the internet! LOL!

jellydonut

Enlightened
Oh, I don't need advice! Things are going swimmingly. Pending that I get a job immediately after graduation I'm seeing her this summer.

I'm just sharing, honestly, because I'm shocked half to death she exists. <3

march.brown

Flashlight Enthusiast
This puts a whole new meaning to the old saying "carrying a torch for someone".

I hope she becomes "the light of your life".

I bet you believe that "no-one holds a candle to her".

When you get married , I hope you have many little ones "lumen" in the distance , but don't get LED astray.

Let us know her size ... Enlighten us ... Is it AAA , AA , C , D or 18650.

Let there be Light.

I hope you can turn her on OK.

Flea Bag

Enlightened
This puts a whole new meaning to the old saying "carrying a torch for someone".

I hope she becomes "the light of your life".

I bet you believe that "no-one holds a candle to her".

When you get married , I hope you have many little ones "lumen" in the distance , but don't get LED astray.

Let us know her size ... Enlighten us ... Is it AAA , AA , C , D or 18650.

Let there be Light.

I hope you can turn her on OK.

lol!!! Fantastic!!! :crackup:

Erm... Let's not get misguided here with those Ds.