Lenser P7 Advice Required

MK-Ultra

Newly Enlightened
I bought an Led Lenser online and I am not sure about the quality of the beam, sure the out of the box build quality is excellent, the internal battery housing/unit lets the Lenser P7 down, the springs holding the batteries in place look like they could give up ant any time or will buckle and stretch when you remove a battery.

I put 4 AAA Panasonic Evolta batteries in to test the torch. I shone the torch onto a wall and was immediately unimpressed with the quality of the beam. For a torch of this reputed quality and price I expected better, the beam is horrible not flat or even and at times like a donut.

IMG_0596.jpg

IMG_0597.jpg

Is this what Led Lenser P7's are like , I mean what's with all the lines and the dark spot in the centre.....???

IMG_0599.jpg

Seriously, for my money I expected better..!

IMG_0600.jpg

cccpull

Enlightened
Yup, that's how they look due to the optics. Now this sort of stuff doesn't bother me because I use my flashlights to help me see, I'm not a white wall hunter, although for some it's a major distraction.

Swede74

Enlightened
I have a Led Lenser T7 (which I think has exactly the same optics and diode as the P7) and my beam looks very similar to yours. As a flashaholic I understand (and to some extent share) your frustration, but I don't think either of use have reason to worry that there's something wrong with our specimen. It doesn't affect the light's "real life"-performance in any way, at least not in my opinion. As for the battery holder, I think the springs look ok but they probably could have made the holder itself sturdier. The plastic doesn't seem flexible at all so I doubt it would forgive too much pressure by bending a little, it would probably break, so that's a bigger concern for me than the springs. I'm not worried it will fail during battery changes though, it's not that flimsy.

I've attached two beamshots and a picture of one of the springs. That's the best close-up I can manage with my cell phone camera.

JDM

Newly Enlightened
I have numerous flashlights, with a couple costing $300. My $60 P7 is my favorite out of all of them. I use it frequently for light painting in my landscape photography. It has safely guided me back to my truck in the middle of the darkest sky the Utah night has to offer. I suppose that if lighting up white walls inside a house is important, it might not be your cup of tea. Personally, I love the quality of the P7 beam and the versatility that the zoom feature brings to the table. I think that once you start using the P7 more in a real world environment you will fall in love with it. Give it some time and enjoy! You made a good choice.

marcl

Newly Enlightened
No this is not what a P7 should look like! I have had mine for about a year and it's a much cleaner beam, you cannot see any defects (veins) like yours seems to have. I know I am replying a little late, but I would contact them and tell them. It does not look nice.

Marc.

yellow

Flashlight Enthusiast
Now this sort of stuff doesn't bother me because I use my flashlights to help me see, I'm not a white wall hunter, although for some it's a major distraction.
hehehe, fully correct
:thumbsup:

lights with optics and at the defocused setting, thats how it is.
Give or take

Last edited:

yliu

Enlightened
I have a P7 and M7, both have similar beam as yours. So I'd say it's normal. Led Lensers do not have good values, meaning you can het better light at the same price.

Although I do find it's full flood beam patter useful especially indoor. What happens with my other light is that the hotspot just blinds me.

roadkill1109

Flashlight Enthusiast
Get rid of it and get a next-generation light like the rest of the CPF'ers here :)