New Petzl NAO !

davidt1

Flashlight Enthusiast
This is a great concept! Can't wait to see how well this technology works.

borrower

Enlightened
Cool! I fear the price and the functionality, though... (I'm still trying to figure out if it changes to throw just because it's level, or because of a gesture upwards.)

Ash? You got that functionality coming in Spike v3?

kevinm

Enlightened
That's brilliant! I'll consider buying one in 3 generations when they have the bugs worked out. :)

arizona1

Newly Enlightened
I dont know i just cant seem to like the concept of this headlamp. It just seems ridiculous to have a light sensor on it and automatically adjust the brightness. It takes so little effort to manually do it. Plus the headband doesn't look comfortable to me. The only thing i like about it is 355 lumen on max, but its run time isnt long enough for me. Im sure this thing will be really expensive and i cant rationalize the use of it.

RedForest UK

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm guessing the spot beam will come on if the flood beam is at max and there still isn't enough light getting back to the sensor.

It's interesting as I've been wondering why a light with this technology hasn't been made yet and how long it would take for someone to do it, it seems a good idea for a headlamp.

However, the main problem I can see is what they define as the 'optimum amount of light' I'm guessing it is set to a certain lux level in the sensor, but it would be better if the user could also vary the overall lux amount which the sensor tries to maintain, we effectively have adaptive light level technology built into our eyes so it makes sense to take advantage of that too. I mean it's great that it can maintain an overall lux level depending on what you're looking at, but some activities e.g. walking require less light than others in general e.g. running. They seemed to address this at one point saying it could be adjusted, but it appeared like it had to be pre-programmed using software on a computer, they should have incorporated that adjustability into the light in my opinion.

Flashlight Enthusiast
maybe it will be ideal when climbing between snow/dirt/rocks and it will adjust the light better
as you transition between different reflective surfaces [than by hand] ?

MikeAusC

Enlightened
It certainly seems to have some innovations for Headlamp -

- Recharging via USB connector
- Using 18650 cell
- Profiles can be downloaded by PC or custom User-profiles created.

The video shows a few limitations of auto-brightness -
- Do your colleagues smile when you shine your light in their eyes ???? I guess the next generation will have a face detection camera to dim the light when you aim it at someones face, rather than just a simple light-level sensor ? Damn, maybe I should have patented this ???
- Rain or fog will cause high level light reflection into the sensor and dim the light to minimum.

Now we just have to wait FIVE months to see how good it is !

Last edited:

hank

Flashlight Enthusiast
Cute idea from Petzl, and this comment
> face detection camera to dim the light when you aim it at someones face
is brilliant.

I wonder if I could mod an old camera with infrared focusing into being a flashlight? Hmmm ...

ahorton

Enlightened
That is the best headlight I've seen come out of Petzl since the Zoom!
The programmability is very good.
It lacks is a better spot beam, but the flood and power level look great.
Good for a weekend camper, but I worry about not being able to replace the battery on extended trips. I would burn through that battery 2 - 4 times in one night.

borrower, no the V3 doesn't have this. I could do it by using a tilt switch on one pin of the uC, but I doubt it would be a good feature. I got so many complaints over my previous 'Intelligent UI' that this sort of thing would drive people nuts. Most users just want a few simple modes.

nein166

Flashlight Enthusiast
I knew I'd seen this before but it was in a flashlight called the Reflex
Also programmable but they used the sensor and made the computer flash the code thru it onscreen. The USB connection is new
guess you could use a usb charger that runs off alkalines on the trail but that won't help during the night
Would work for jogging and around the house though, I wonder if the software lets you set your own lumens/distance levels
I like it

cue003

Flashlight Enthusiast
From the looks of things the software lets you configure you own kind of usage/setup. I should be interesting.

At least Petzl put a date on their concept unlike others who show things and put in catalogs and then never make it available. :)

Last edited:

petersmith6

Enlightened
nice idea...but its one more thing to go wrong,but if with a few people in close proxsimity dressed in black int it going to try and blind them? i thing it anoth case of creating a solution for a problem they just invented.
oh and what will happen if i look the them with my head lamp?

ahorton

Enlightened
oh and what will happen if i look the them with my head lamp?

Ha! I hadn't thought of that.
Doe this mean that if a Nao wearer is running towards me, (say 50m away) I can accidentally hurt him twice? First by shining a thrower at him and secondly by shutting down his own light?

I suspect it wouldn't be all that bad.

Something I did wonder when I was watching the video, is how the auto adjust would work since

A. No light coming in the sensor can mean:
1. It's very dark and I only need a tiny bit of light to see.
2. I'm looking into a void and I want full power.

B. Lots of light in the sensor can mean:
1. I'm looking at a map and it's all reflecting so the power needs to go down.
2. The sun is going up/down so there's still a bit of ambient light ruining my night vision - so I need full power to see where I'm running.

I suspect all these issues will be sorted by the choice in UIs. You really need to give choice when you start going fancy like this.

borrower

Enlightened
borrower, no the V3 doesn't have this. I could do it by using a tilt switch on one pin of the uC, but I doubt it would be a good feature. I got so many complaints over my previous 'Intelligent UI' that this sort of thing would drive people nuts. Most users just want a few simple modes.

I was joking... and I agree that most people want simple, predictable modes. This one will be interesting to see in real-world use.

gcbryan

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think this is an interesting product but it's ridiculous at the same time :)

It looks like you can't hold your head up when you walk on a trail. You have to hold your head slightly down otherwise you get a spot beam and can't see where you are walking. In the photos they magically have local light when the hiker holds his head up but it doesn't appear to come from the headlamp.

It seems to be optimized for a high level of brightness in general because "that's what you need at night"?

Why is it better to have to charge your battery with a computer (USB)? This will be as annoying as my cell phone trying to guess what word I'm starting to text so it can "help" me out.

It looks like every time you move your head up or down the light will be changing...flood..no spot...no flood. Annoying.

It's like the keyless door lock pads on some cars a few years ago. It's a solution in search of a problem. It's much better to have intuitive manual control of more variables...easy to switch from spot to flood or to have both with variable output adjustment.

It satisfies a certain gearhead desire I'll admit but programming and charging on a computer rather than having intuitive options on the unit itself would be a nonstarter for me.

The real purpose in all the gadgetry is to justify a higher price/profit margin and to push Petzl software across the entire product line.

The closest legitimate use for this technology is adventure racing (or whatever it's called) however I think it would be annoying even for that.

Last edited:

DIΩDΣ

Enlightened
Interesting I am sure, but not to me. I can't see how these automatic features would benefit me much at all and I am sure I would get aggravated with them. I prefer to be in control of everything that I can, dont need no auto headlights on my vehicle nor automatic transmission, full manual on camera is great too, and a flashlight is the last thing I would need automatic controls on. When is the gps enabled one with a camera and phone built in coming out? lol

Last edited: