Cooling options for a P60 dropin

lightseeker2009

Enlightened
Guys, I need some help with this.
I want to use a P60 dropin. But the catch is that the P60 won't be in a flashlight host. That means I will have to find an alternative cooling method.

How can I cool the dropin?
The best idea I have come up with so far is to put a piece of heatsink, the ones they put on electric motors in RC cars, around the dropin and to use a fan to keep it cool.

Any other, or better ideas out there? I would prefer to use a P60 dropin but if there is a better way I will look into it as well.

Mattaus

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't mean to sound rude but this thread will go the same way as your other thread, and I'm surprised Norm (Admin) hasn't made his presence felt here yet...a P60 without a host is like trying to light a fire underwater. Not the best analogy sorry.

lightseeker2009

Enlightened
I just feel they can send a man to the moon.... How difficult can it really be too cool a P60 dropin? Seems its easier to send a man to the moon than to cool a P60:) There must be a way to do it without a host.

Th232

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just feel they can send a man to the moon.... How difficult can it really be too cool a P60 dropin? Seems its easier to send a man to the moon than to cool a P60:) There must be a way to do it without a host.

It cost billions to send a man to the moon. If you can give me a mere $500 million I'll happily make a solution for you. :p

In all seriousness, without a host you'll need a method to transfer heat from the drop-in to outside air. This is what the host is for. Solve that issue and you'll solve your problem. Solutions off the top of my head:

* Get someone to machine a holder/heatsink for you.
* Pot it in some thermally conductive material. The catch then is whatever it's potted in must then transfer heat to the outside air...
* Liquid cooling.
* Go live in Antarctica.

Bluntly, it would be much simpler and cheaper to use bare emitters, or emitters on stars. Why build your own rowboat to cross the river when you're standing next to a bridge?

Last edited:

lightseeker2009

Enlightened
I can only manage half of that, it was a rough year. I will give you the rest when my bonus comes through lol.

I seriously think that some heatsinks around them blown cool by a fan could work. My other option is to take a PC heatsink and cut holes for the dropins. Then cool it with its fan. That should work fine I'm sure?? I think I will go that route if nothing better comes along.

hellokitty[hk]

Enlightened
Epoxy the stars on to a heatsink with thermal epoxy of some sort.
If you really want to "use a p60 drop in", take the stars out of the drop in and epoxy those to a heatsink and you're done.