Is Incandescent Technology Advancing?

eh4

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've read statements to the effect that incandescent bulbs could rival leds for efficiency if infrared reflection was used to recycle heat at the filament or at the arc, is this happening?
A light that was more and more efficient at higher currents/ greater outputs would be fantastic. This would allow leds and incandescent to both develop and complement one another, incandescent for insanely hot/bright lights, leds for extremely efficient, cool, long running lights.

As it is I see leds losing some in their strong suit as they try to push more and more light out of them.

Any leads?

yliu

Enlightened
You are probably referring to the Halogena Energy Saver by Philips. It states that it is 30% more efficient than normal incendescent bulbs. The efficiency of incandescents are around 10-20 lm/W, which is nowhere near the 100 lm/W of an XML.

eh4

Flashlight Enthusiast
yeah that doesn't sound nearly good enough.
I'm thinking of very small point sources of light, something very tiny, very hot, putting out loads of lumens and uhhh,,,
yeah how do you step low frequency infrared up to visible light anyways?

ampdude

Flashlight Enthusiast
You are probably referring to the Halogena Energy Saver by Philips. It states that it is 30% more efficient than normal incendescent bulbs. The efficiency of incandescents are around 10-20 lm/W, which is nowhere near the 100 lm/W of an XML.

This efficiency is in cool white? As far as I'm aware HCRI LED's are not that much more efficient than incans.

And they still lack a bit of spectrum in comparison. (But they are much better than regular LEDs).

I always suspect that battery technology will continue to get better and better as well, perhaps one day making efficiency a moot point.