Bored of production lights?

jamesmtl514

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've owned more production lights than most people will in multiple lifetimes. I used to look forward to new releases from surefire. Then began hunting down rare lights.
All the while getting cool parts and dropins to Lego. I also played the cerakote game.

I got into custom lights with Macs incredible SST-50 Ti. I regretfully sold it. Bought a bunch of cool hard to find oldies... But that didn't excite me as much as going after custom lights.

Even though I've only been blown away by the fit an finish of Macs light (MM fatty tail has a gap, mcgizmo lts27 glass rattles (after market crenelations)).
There seems to be something special about holding a light that was created ground up by a skilled and inspired artist.

/rant

Anyone else share my thoughts?

Last edited:

mvyrmnd

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm with you 100%.

Runner up to custom lights are big mods. The body might be production, but its soul is custom :)

F250XLT

Flashlight Enthusiast
I find myself going in cycles throughout the years...You start at production, then lego production, modded production, complete custom, repeat. It seems I always get bored with whatever I have, and want again what I had before...lol

LEDAdd1ct

Flashlight Enthusiast
I find myself going in cycles throughout the years...You start at production, then lego production, modded production, complete custom, repeat. It seems I always get bored with whatever I have, and want again what I had before...lol

A comment on Flashoholism, or life itself?

Students of Zen want to know...

Last edited:

jellydonut

Enlightened
For the most part I prefer buying parts and assembling lights myself, like my current 6P-Nailbender-Kroma frankenstein.

Some lights, however, I prefer to be built to bombproof duty specs, like my Polarion. No custom HID could interest me more than it.

solarwind

Newly Enlightened
Gang;

New to the forum, but love flashlights as tools to get er done. I agree that sometimes it seems like little thought goes into the development and production of these wonders. But we have progressed so far in the last 40 years!

jamesmtl514

Flashlight Enthusiast

Yup! That sums it up. I didn't even realize I was doing that until you pointed it out.

solarwind

Newly Enlightened
I think the modders and custom guys are the "Industrial Designers" without portfolio. They rock because they develop an insight and technique that sometimes Industry lacks. Think Hewlett Packard in the Garage.

If I was a big flashlight exec I would find guys on this forum who are custom modders and seek 'em out, pay 'em and get ideas and insight because they have a passion for the development of the "machine" and so it has been and will be those minds that change things.............

I salute the custom thinkers!:thumbsup:

dudemar

Flashlight Enthusiast
I started out with Mags and SFs but found greater interest in smaller companies. I'm now into custom lights and am hooked! They seem to exude quality and you feel like the person left a part of their soul with it. An idea from their mind crafted into reality, if you will. There are very few things that are hand-made anymore, right here in the US.

gravelrash

Enlightened
Would HDS be considered a custom light? I really, really like them. I know they are not made by hand one at a time, but they are far from mass-produced. I also like their price point - I have not jumped into the $300+ lights (yet?).

mvyrmnd

Flashlight Enthusiast
Would HDS be considered a custom light? I really, really like them. I know they are not made by hand one at a time, but they are far from mass-produced. I also like their price point - I have not jumped into the $300+ lights (yet?).

That's a tricky one. I wouldn't call them custom. Probably high end enthusiast.

F250XLT

Flashlight Enthusiast

They are not custom IMO...Just because you have configuration choices, that does not make it custom in my book. Some of the desired so called customs, are not customs to me either. McGimzo for example, not a true custom, but more of a smaller run production light to me.

Joe Talmadge

Flashlight Enthusiast
I can definitely appreciate custom. It's similar with knives ... eventually, you come to appreciate the artistry and technical wizardry a custom maker can pull off. Things like better reflectors, better heat syncing, hand-chosen flux bins, higher drive and efficiencies. In the case of flashlights, though, the biggest thing holding me back from most customs is the UI. The UIs I find I like -- rotating ring, or head twist for level change, basically *anything* except the on/off button also controlling the light levels -- don't seem to be within the capabilities of the custom makers.