1AA light, size matters

F1em

Newly Enlightened
Hey guys, I've been shopping around for a decent 1AA light to add to my edc. I have an itp a3 (now olight i3) but would like to get a AA light in the mix so I'd have two lights on me at all times.

I was wondering about the quarks and the fenixes, but realized they were not quite as compact as I'd like. More important than length, to me, is width.
I have seen the mini AA's and Nitecore ez, but they are all twisty switches.

Could anybody recommend a good clicky switch 1AA light that is as thin as possible?
I have seen the jetbeam pa01, which has a ui I'm not too fond of, as well as
the fenix e11, which seems nice too, but it only has momentary aside from the twisty.

The two main criteria I am looking for are a clicky switch (forward or reverse), and as thin a tube as possible in a 1AA format.

Any and all suggestions will be appreciated. Thank you in advance to all the wonderful cpf members out there.

F1em

Newly Enlightened
The e11 is a clicky? Well that serves me right for only reading off of goinggear. It said "the user friendly tail cap switch and twisty switch" which made me assume it was strictly momentary and not a clicky. This is great news. I think I found my next light! Well that or the jetbeam e3s... so many lights to choose from. Thanks for the speedy replies

davecroft

Enlightened
The E11 is a great light, I use mine every day. I also have the Jetbeam PA01 you mentioned, the UI isn't too bad once you get used to it - it depends what you use it for. If you need short bursts of light avoid it, it will cycle through the modes including strobe. AFAIK it is the smallest AA light with a clicky switch. The BK135 is the same size with better UI but for some reason Jetbeam have discontinued it.

Last edited:

joe1512

Enlightened
Why do you need 2 lights at once. If you have an AAA, why would you want a small 1xAA? I mean, its gonna be basically identical, other than the clicky control.

How bout the Jetbeam ES3? Twisty on top controls brightness, but its a clickey control. 18mm tube.
The quark mini is pretty small too. 0.7 inch diameter, nice knurling.

Last edited:

Chicken Drumstick

Flashlight Enthusiast
Klarus ST10?

And from what I've just read there's going to be a clicky version of the EagleTac D25a.

F1em

Newly Enlightened
Well two lights isn't a must, but I much rather prefer the clicky for one handed use, and it's always nice to have a backup light. The e3s from jetbeam seems to be the best contender so far, as I like the ability to tailstand, and I can't find any smaller lights. But above all it just looks great. Unless Anyone has a similar light in mind, I think my problem is solved. Thanks for all the input

STR

Newly Enlightened
Hey guys, I've been shopping around for a decent 1AA light to add to my edc. I have an itp a3 (now olight i3) but would like to get a AA light in the mix so I'd have two lights on me at all times.

I was wondering about the quarks and the fenixes, but realized they were not quite as compact as I'd like. More important than length, to me, is width.
I have seen the mini AA's and Nitecore ez, but they are all twisty switches.

Could anybody recommend a good clicky switch 1AA light that is as thin as possible?
I have seen the jetbeam pa01, which has a ui I'm not too fond of, as well as
the fenix e11, which seems nice too, but it only has momentary aside from the twisty.

The two main criteria I am looking for are a clicky switch (forward or reverse), and as thin a tube as possible in a 1AA format.

Any and all suggestions will be appreciated. Thank you in advance to all the wonderful cpf members out there.

Streamlight Protac 1AA comes to mind when I read your requirements. The JetBeam BA10 also or the TerraLux Lightstar 100 all seem pretty good. The TerraLux I own has some iffy things about it the more I own it though. Its shut off a couple times on it's own for no reason. I thought at first I was bumping the button but once it did it sitting on the counter and its come on with a delayed reaction a couple times too after I clicked the button to lock it so I'm not sure about the true longevity of some of these lights. I'm kind of waiting for this one to just die or get stuck on one of the settings which I understand has happened with others from this company. The Streamlight I own seems quite good but it is a thin walled small light. It is smaller than these others. I don't know that it would take the beating some of these others would as it seems it would crush under less weight but its a great light and I use it a lot.

Thekapow

Newly Enlightened
Take a look at nitecore d11.2, i know lots of ppl have been complaining about some problems with tolerances, but i just got mine and it seems they fixed all the problems, the led is perfect center and no problems what so ever, and a very bright 145 lumens on one aa is very good in my opinion, the reason i bought it was because of the erogonomics and size, it is very small and fits perfect in the hand and pocket..

F1em

Newly Enlightened
The protac isn't as bright as the e3s I'm considering, and it's a little bigger. The nitecore is roughly the same size, but it's the same price, with a strobe and sos I'll never use, while being not nearly as pretty as the Jetbeam. I'm going to buy the Jetbeam.

STR

Newly Enlightened
The protac isn't as bright as the e3s I'm considering, and it's a little bigger. The nitecore is roughly the same size, but it's the same price, with a strobe and sos I'll never use, while being not nearly as pretty as the Jetbeam. I'm going to buy the Jetbeam.

JetBeam makes a great light. My current fave is the BA20..I just bought a PA10 though so we'll see.

F1em

Newly Enlightened
The deed is done. I just placed an order with goinggear. Thanks to everyone for all the input!