To those waiting on either the Q50 or Q50w...guess what

UpstandingCitizen

Enlightened
Zebralight is blowing it, big time.

Just announce a realistic timetable for release and stick to it. Is it really that hard?

Also, are there any models that are of comparable specs and size? The Zebralight UI is great and all, but really you hit it on the head when you said that "18650 level performance in a EDC package" is the main allure here.

roadkill1109

Flashlight Enthusiast
So anyways, what is the ultimate 4XAA light out there? Is the Jetbeam PA40 all there is? the Fenix LD40's a non-issue, that's an old light which may be going by way of the dodo bird. There's a 6xAA Olight S65, but I have no plans to take up cheerleading (get it? haha) the Tk40(is this correct?) with 8XAA cells, but takes too much cells at a time! Imagine having a 4-batt charger and having to charge the 8 that came from this beast!

So light gurus, is there anything that tops the PA40 or that's it? Flood, throw, dont care, just the specs which are better than the PA40 but uses the same 4xAA format.

Does this light exist? :broke:

AnAppleSnail

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just announce a realistic timetable for release and stick to it. Is it really that hard?

Yes. Working in the consumer products industry is frustrating, especially when dealing with evolving components, requirements, and market.

It takes a lot of development to get a flashlight plan completed. Concept, plan of features (Output, runtime, LED choice, lux, UI, battery, price point), circuit design (efficiency, voltage range), part planning (Reflector geometry, body layout), design for manufacture (How do we make this great idea in an affordable way), and then.

THEN

You can try to get things started. Prototype run, full-unit tests, feedback, redesign. Rebuild, re-test. Now is it good enough? Find a manufacturing contract. I can't remember where ZL makes theirs. Many projects find it tempting to manufacture in China. Unknown time to set up machining and fabrication, 4-6 week shipping turnaround.

Let's hope the plan for the original concept hasn't evolved. Are there new LEDs, UI features, or new requirements from the lighting market?

Each step costs money. Money to investigate, research, develop, build, and test. Money to buy parts, turn on the lights and feed your geniuses, money to pay factories. Some projects fall through once they don't seem likely to pay back that money. Some planned lights are over-capable, and are downgraded to a lower price point. Others push through and fail to make money.

Getting new product in a shiny box on shelves is HARD. I didn't mention marketing, dealer deals, and packaging because that's outside the scope of making the light itself.

UpstandingCitizen

Enlightened
@ AnAppleSnail: I totally understand and agree. My point is just that they shouldn't have listed or discussed a time frame for release that was so wildly inaccurate.

Don't get me wrong...I'm still gonna buy one. As far as I know there is nothing else like the Q50 out there, and I do respect that it takes time to innovate.

Derek Dean

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes, that's odd...... they seem to have a built-in market for this light, folks ready to buy one, and suddenly it vanishes.

I had planned on buying one for my sister. I love my SC600, and wanted to give her the same type light, but one that used the more common AA format. I like the Jetbeam PA40, but it doesn't tail stand.

In any case, I'll keep hoping that ZL hasn't shelved the Q50 indefinitely.

skyfire

Flashlight Enthusiast
ZL pushing back release dates is nothing new. im actually surprise theyre always releasing info so early in development. i cant think of any other maker that does that.

bigfish5

Newly Enlightened
Just to let you guys know, I got an email from zebra light yesterday in regards to the s5310. They said it will be released in march. 750 lumens on 3 AA batteries. Easier to pocket than the q50 also. I will be all over that light.

UpstandingCitizen

Enlightened
Just to let you guys know, I got an email from zebra light yesterday in regards to the s5310. They said it will be released in march. 750 lumens on 3 AA batteries. Easier to pocket than the q50 also. I will be all over that light.

I head no idea that this light even existed. Thanks for bringing it up. :thumbsup:

In a lot of ways this model might actually be a better fit for me. Being able to program the L2 sounds great, and the battery indicator could be useful too.

The S5310 is actually slightly larger (5.94 cubic inches) than the Q50 (5.66 cubic inches), but it won't be as fat so it might be better for carrying in a pocket.

edit: I wonder if this model will have a step-down feature in the same way that the Q50 does? On the spreadsheet it doesn't make any mention of one, but who knows...

Last edited:

tickled

Newly Enlightened
Yes. Working in the consumer products industry is frustrating, especially when dealing with evolving components, requirements, and market. It takes a lot of development to get a flashlight plan completed. Concept, plan of features (Output, runtime, LED choice, lux, UI, battery, price point), circuit design (efficiency, voltage range), part planning (Reflector geometry, body layout), design for manufacture (How do we make this great idea in an affordable way), and then. THEN You can try to get things started. Prototype run, full-unit tests, feedback, redesign. Rebuild, re-test. Now is it good enough? Find a manufacturing contract. I can't remember where ZL makes theirs. Many projects find it tempting to manufacture in China. Unknown time to set up machining and fabrication, 4-6 week shipping turnaround. Let's hope the plan for the original concept hasn't evolved. Are there new LEDs, UI features, or new requirements from the lighting market? Each step costs money. Money to investigate, research, develop, build, and test. Money to buy parts, turn on the lights and feed your geniuses, money to pay factories. Some projects fall through once they don't seem likely to pay back that money. Some planned lights are over-capable, and are downgraded to a lower price point. Others push through and fail to make money. Getting new product in a shiny box on shelves is HARD. I didn't mention marketing, dealer deals, and packaging because that's outside the scope of making the light itself.
If Zebralight is to be believed, everything for the Q50 is ready but they have chosen to use production capacity to make more SC600's instead.

Mr_Moe

Newly Enlightened
I am quite fond of the Sunwayman M40A. I don't have the PA40 to compare, but the Sunwayman is a quality light, I have both the MCE and XML versions.
+1 the M40A is a wonderful light. Which version do you prefer? I have the XM-L, wish I could try the MCE too.

That was the first thing I checked on the sheet. Glad that isn't cancelled. Hopefully they'll have some photos soon. Also waiting on the Tactical Models. Wrote them regarding the tactical AA light, here's the response:

"...Subject: Tactical models

We will start produce the T5 (single AA, electronic tail clicky) in Texas USA in a few months. However, I don't know exactly when

Sincerely,..."

NickBose

Enlightened
+1 the M40A is a wonderful light. Which version do you prefer? I have the XM-L, wish I could try the MCE too.

+2 Sunwayman M40A XM-L is THE BEST 4xAA available now at constant 600 lumens and a very high quality build

kkeyser

Newly Enlightened
+2 Sunwayman M40A XM-L is THE BEST 4xAA available now at constant 600 lumens and a very high quality build

I would have to agree, but the jetbeam pa40 is no slouch.

I have both the sunwayman m40a xml and the jetbeam pa40 xml. I think the sunwayman is superior in most every way except it has that stupid strobe, and because of that it is also missing an additional level (3 levels + strobe vs. 4 levels and no strobe). I don't know why it irritates me so much, but it does. There have been several times when I went to pick up the m40a and I just put it back down and picked up the pa40 instead just because of that.

The one thing that the pa40 does have over the m40a is that if you leave them out in the cold, the pa40 is easier to deal with since the m40a handle is all metal vs. carbon fiber composite.

The m40a feels better in the hand than the pa40, feels more solid, looks better, can tailstand, is a bit brighter, and all that good stuff. It is also twice the price of the jetbeam, so it should be better in most/all areas.

Is it really worth twice what the pa40 is? I have a hard time saying 'yes' to that. I got the m40a during the black friday sale period, and for what I paid for it, it was certainly worth it. But the jetbeam pa40 is way more bang for the buck at current prices, imo.

I use both the m40a and the pa40, and I think they are both very well made lights.

UpstandingCitizen

Enlightened
My impressions is that ZL is just milking out the sc600 series. Seriously, they have a cash cow and why have another product eat into its sale?

I think the SC530 would be a more attractive alternative than the Q50, and apparently that one is slated for March.

Who knows though...this light was supposedly gonna be release Q3 of '11, and now there isn't even mention of a release date on the site any more.

Last edited:

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes. Working in the consumer products industry is frustrating, especially when dealing with evolving components, requirements, and market.

It takes a lot of development to get a flashlight plan completed. Concept, plan of features (Output, runtime, LED choice, lux, UI, battery, price point), circuit design (efficiency, voltage range), part planning (Reflector geometry, body layout), design for manufacture (How do we make this great idea in an affordable way), and then.

THEN

You can try to get things started. Prototype run, full-unit tests, feedback, redesign. Rebuild, re-test. Now is it good enough? Find a manufacturing contract. I can't remember where ZL makes theirs. Many projects find it tempting to manufacture in China. Unknown time to set up machining and fabrication, 4-6 week shipping turnaround.

Let's hope the plan for the original concept hasn't evolved. Are there new LEDs, UI features, or new requirements from the lighting market?

Each step costs money. Money to investigate, research, develop, build, and test. Money to buy parts, turn on the lights and feed your geniuses, money to pay factories. Some projects fall through once they don't seem likely to pay back that money. Some planned lights are over-capable, and are downgraded to a lower price point. Others push through and fail to make money.

Getting new product in a shiny box on shelves is HARD. I didn't mention marketing, dealer deals, and packaging because that's outside the scope of making the light itself.

^ this.

zebralight is not blowing anything. they have a normal production schedule like any company. heck my company makes software and hardware and some
simple software updates (simple on paper) with added functionality take 18 months to complete...and the people waiting on this software are big players
standing to make or break millions, or put bank, government, or defense data or lives at risk. these folks waiting on the software whine less then some
people whine about zebralight :laughing:

Scubie67

Enlightened
Well maybe that could be it then.Could be the S5310 fills the niche close enough to the Q50 in (AA battery format,similar size and similar output and burntime performance) that they feel producing both the Q50 and the S5310 would be too redundant.If thats the case then I understand why they would do this and I would be just as inclined to buy the S5310 instead.They sure keep their "cards close to their chest"when it comes to informing the public though regarding product decisions.

Incidentalist

Enlightened

Overall I prefer the XML. The only thing I like better about the MCE version is that the low is lower, otherwise the XML is superior in just about every other way.