"D" battery flashlight for under a $100?

Lightingman

Newly Enlightened
Looking for my next flashlight. I absolutely love my Quark "X" 2AA. I am basically looking for something very similar.

1. >$100
2. Can turn on low if I choose, can turn on bright if I choose. I don't want to have to rotate to my low every time I go off course, like with the Fenix LD20 or Neutron 2AA
3. No modes, and no 5 cell maglite. I already have one.
4. Water proof ipx-8
5. Has multiple light outputs, including a super low(Edit: >10LM), and a turbo(300<).
6. Tail Stand.
7. Since I see we have a new section that this post will likely get moved to.....LED ONLY! And I am hoping for XM-L.
8. Edit: Yes I am looking for monster run times. I like the mix between the Big battery and how Common they are. Once again it is the Big&Common mix and not just the big I am looking at. I also have many AA and multiple AAA so I don't want another AAA.

Really that's it. There is this huge list that people fill out somewhere on the forum, but I didn't want to be too picky. This leaves it relatively open.

Last edited:

Lightingman

Newly Enlightened
Fenix TK50 or TK60?

I looked at that. The TK60 in particular. Does anyone know if I can switch it to a higher out put, then shut it off and turn it on to a lower mode? Last time I asked this question about the Fenix LD20 and was given a false answer. I believe that I have a hard time describing it properly. If I am on a medium mode, can I turn it off, then turn it back on to low mode? Without having to rotate through the others?

AnAppleSnail

Flashlight Enthusiast
Why do you want to use D cells?

Are you after monster runtime?
Bigger light body?
Using up old alkalines?
Do you get D cells for free?

CarpentryHero

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well there are lights with memory, we're you can turn a light back on in the last mode it was on. As for real control, I prefer Sunwayman V series. With The magnetic control ring, you can pick what light output you want whether the light is on or not. The V20A is around $85, probably the best 2aa light I've seen in awhile

Pawnshop

Newly Enlightened
A Sunwayman "V" or "M" that runs on D cells would be awesum! Variable output control and massive runtime...

DrewK

Newly Enlightened
The TK60 in particular. Does anyone know if I can switch it to a higher out put, then shut it off and turn it on to a lower mode? ... If I am on a medium mode, can I turn it off, then turn it back on to low mode? Without having to rotate through the others?

No. When the TK60 is turned back on, it is at the same brightness level as when it was turned off. You have to rotate through if a different level is desired.

Lightingman

Newly Enlightened

8. Edit: Yes I am looking for monster run times. I like the mix between the Big battery and how Common they are. Once again it is the Big&Common mix and not just the big I am looking at. I also have many AA and multiple AAA so I don't want another AAA.

On a side note: They are more affordable on a cost per amount of power bases. Though one thing am trying to find is quality "D" rechargeable. It seems like everything the market has to offer is crap.

No. When the TK60 is turned back on, it is at the same brightness level as when it was turned off. You have to rotate through if a different level is desired.

Thank you, I had a feeling that was the case.

The search continues.

joe1512

Enlightened
Wanting to turn it onto Low is kind of a dealbreaker for seveal lights. Most bigger lights have several modes that get cycled through. Some have mode-memory at least.

I would recommend the TK41 for you. It is the SIZE of a 2D maglite, but uses 8xAAs in a battery carrier. So you get 2D worth of juice (4x runtime of your quark in theory) but use easier to find AAs. You also have the stronger 330 lumen and 800 lumen modes as needed.

The TK41 has MODE MEMORY so if you left it on low...it comes on in low.

It has a 10,100, 330 800 levels. link removed

Last edited by a moderator:

Lightingman

Newly Enlightened
I was worried people would keep reccomending non "D" battery lights. The whole point in a "D" battery light is that I have many other AA lights. But oh well, maybe I will have to settle for the TK60. Not my first ideal choice, but it looks like it is my only choice unless I buy another maglite.

joe1512

Enlightened
I still don't see an actual valid REASON for wanting a D-cell light though. Yes you have some AA lights. Thats fine, but why would you want a D light for? A D battery is just a fat version of an AA. Its the same voltage.

A TK41 as mentioned gives you the desired low, with a very powerful maximum output and the mode memory you wanted. There is no real difference between it being an 8xAA and a 2xD.

I guess you could get the TK60 though if you don't mind the much larger size for the same output.

Mod: Really? You have to remove my link to SPECS for a recommended flashlight?!? You can't even buy stuff at that site.

Lightingman

Newly Enlightened
I still don't see an actual valid REASON for wanting a D-cell light though.

You don't see a valid reason, because you don't want to see it. Let me put it to you this way........There is no valid reason to own 8 flashlights you keep at home. Not at all. Maybe you can justify a 3-4, or if you have 8 people in a house that want there own. 8 flashlights and they are all my own, they all work just fine. Now that we have gotten passed the silly argument, lets go to a valid one.

If power goes out, there is a disaster and I gotta leave my house, or if there is a severe winter and power goes out and we need to conserve energy. It would be nice to be able bargain for or make use of any type of battery. The most common ones will be the easiest to get. It's a valid reason. The point is to be able to take advantage of variety. But now you got me arguing and people love to try and win an argument. It's like a used car salesman, you tell them what you want and they argue with you.

I\There is no real difference between it being an 8xAA and a 2xD.

Two things actually...........#1. Two "D" batteries cost less than Eight "AA" batteries........#2. Two "D" batteries actually last a little longer. I know the specs, but they are off some how, I have personally tested this. One "D" battery lasts longer than using 4AA in a it's place in a "D" battery flashlight.

Good luck to you Sir.

bigchelis

Flashlight Enthusiast

Bigger light body?
Using up old alkalines?
Do you get D cells for free?

NiMH D cells are 100% needed for high power LED flashlights like my SST-90 Tripple at over 100 Watts: Over 30A at the tailcap off 4 NiMH Tenergy D cells.
http://flashlightnews.net/forum/index.php?topic=2619.0

My reason for D cells is simple. My camping radio requires 6 NiMH D cells, my air matrees pump takes 4 NiMH D cells, so it makes sense for me to have my Flashlights to take D cells too. I have 17 NiMH Tenergy D cells and Maha 8 bay 2A charger.

High Power LED lights absolutely need a big hosts to cool efficiently. Otherwise the real OTF lumens are loast in milli-seconds. As it turns out the big Mag D size hosts offer more room for copper heatsinks which is perfect.

I dont use Alkalines, I use rechargeable NiMH D cells.

Dont forget that a 2D or 3D size lights with XP-G or XM-L emitters even at 1A to the LED would offer a long runtime.

IMHO: IMR 26650 cells are still far far away from performing like NiMH D cells. To me cell sag is crutial and IMR 26650 cells just cant keep up at higher currents.

Best,
Jose

Latest posts