Where's a good place to find keychain EDC's that take 16430s?

belomeclone

Enlightened
I want one. My AAA keychain is showing its age, and while it's great, I want brighter. For a while I thought only 10440 could be on a keychain, and they're not capacity isn't much and are hard to find protected. But then I found out about 16430!!

But I have never seen many flashlights advertised as taking these. I saw some on DealExtreme. I usually check there because I don't need multiple settings. I also prefer a tail clickie, not a twist cap. But I'd like to see the more expensive options, see if there is one for me. I don't think I've seen many that could fit on a keychain, a lot of them are made for holding, or take two 16430s. Could someone advise me on where to look, or suggestions?

Z-Tab

Enlightened
Peak has a lot of options that might work for you. If you check out their website (Google: RMSK Peak), you can see whether they have what you're looking for.

Imon

Enlightened
Do you mean 16340? As in CR123a sized?

If so see if the manufacturer specifies the voltage range of the flashlight. Fresh off the charger Li-ion cells should be 4.2V
If your voltage range is within those boundaries you're fine. If the manufacturer specifies for you not to use Li-ion I would avoid it - if only for future warranty reasons. Still, it's your risk to take. I've been running my SF LX2 on LiFePO4 rechargeable Li-ion batteries for over a year without issue. Although LiFePO4 Li-ion batteries are 3.4V off the charger.

joe1512

Enlightened
Sizes are: width, length, with a 0 at the end.
AAA = 10440 = 10 mm width, 44mm lenght.
AA = 14500
CR123 = 16340

In many cases with smaller lights, lithiums are NOT recommended, but are still usable. Just about any CR123 light (3.0v) can use a 3.7V RCR123 or 16340 (same thing) instead, but will be overdriven a bit so they heat up fast.

I use a Quark MiniX 123 with an AW protected RCR123. Get the protection circuit.

An itp A1 works fine too, or the olight i1 replacement.

You can also get an AA sized (14500) which is more narrow but longer. However these lights are made for 1.5 volts, so 3.7 is a BIG jump! This will ruin most lights.

Instead, heres a few that will work: umm...never mind. Didnt see any keychain sized ones. found a jetbeam PA10 but its kinda big for keychain.

belomeclone

Enlightened
Sizes are: width, length, with a 0 at the end.
AAA = 10440 = 10 mm width, 44mm lenght.
AA = 14500
CR123 = 16340

In many cases with smaller lights, lithiums are NOT recommended, but are still usable. Just about any CR123 light (3.0v) can use a 3.7V RCR123 or 16340 (same thing) instead, but will be overdriven a bit so they heat up fast.

I use a Quark MiniX 123 with an AW protected RCR123. Get the protection circuit.

An itp A1 works fine too, or the olight i1 replacement.

You can also get an AA sized (14500) which is more narrow but longer. However these lights are made for 1.5 volts, so 3.7 is a BIG jump! This will ruin most lights.

Instead, heres a few that will work: umm...never mind. Didnt see any keychain sized ones. found a jetbeam PA10 but its kinda big for keychain.

How does the MiniX work? I don't trust twist lights in general, but it's got the size I want. I've been looking at the PD20, and I'd love to order it, but I don't know if I want to gamble on 50 dollars in case it's too big.

BLUE LED

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Quark 123 regular takes 16340 cell, as it can take the 4.2v. The PD20 will go into direct drive and lose the lower levels. I would recommend AW protected 16340 cell. I too do not generally like twist lights, but there is an exception. The Eagletac D25C, you can have the Ti version with XM-L U2 or XP-G S2, both are extremely impressive and work really well.

belomeclone

Enlightened
The Quark 123 regular takes 16340 cell, as it can take the 4.2v. The PD20 will go into direct drive and lose the lower levels. I would recommend AW protected 16340 cell. I too do not generally like twist lights, but there is an exception. The Eagletac D25C, you can have the Ti version with XM-L U2 or XP-G S2, both are extremely impressive and work really well.

Very interesting. Eagletac is my go-to company, and I love how they have new models on a regular basis instead of selling me a flashlight that was built in 2006.

I do have some questions/concerns.

1. How badly scratched will this get in a pocket with keys? (Not many keys mind you) It doesn't seem too big to be on a keychain, shorter than my current one, but a little thicker.

2. These twisties need two hands to operate, don't they? Is the front you twist the same way you get the battery out, or is it only an on/off twist? If it's how you twist out to get the battery, how much room is there before it twists out? My ITP A3 eventually (read: two months in) only had two settings, on, or unscrewed. It's why I shy away from twist lights, but no CR123's exist with switches yet that are small enough (though there's a cavity on this that would be perfect for a button...)

3. I saw a video that described the clip on the light as "permanently attached". Is that true? I imagine it'd be much harder to keep on a keychain with that added, unnecessary bull.

4. So I can put a 16430 in here? Awesome. That'd explain the immense light power behind it. Eagletac always steers itself towards high output/lower battery life, which I appreciate.

Any other general thoughts on the light? Am I just letting a bad experience get in my way of twist lights? Everyone else seems to buy and sell them... am I missing out?

BLUE LED

Flashlight Enthusiast
All lights will show signs of wear and tear against your keys. You can easily activate and change levels with one hand and the clip can be removed with a tiny Allen key. The output and throw on the XP-G S2 is very impressive against all of my single CR123A and 16340 lights. Yes it supports 4.2v, however you will lose medium level. It will always start in low and go straight to high, but I actually like it, which was a surprise to me. The XM-L U2 is a wall of light.

BLUE LED

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am not normally a fan of twisty, but I like the black XP-G S2 cool white the most.

belomeclone

Enlightened
How exactly do I operate this with one hand? :p Sorry for the dumb question, but I always see one hand hold it and the other twist it.

And can you explain to me how the twisting works? If you keep twisting does the battery come out?