Sunwayman M20A XM-L VS Quark AA^2 X

diesel79

Enlightened
I currently have a 4Sevens Quark AA^2 Tactical X. I was wondering if the Sunwayman M20A XM-L would be upgrade or more of a lateral move as far as quality? I cant find much on the M20A XM-L. Im getting the itch to try another AA^2 light and the Sunwayman caught my eye. Maybe I will buy one and sell the one I like the least. Anyone have both and prefer one over the other?

Last edited:

TadpolePilot

Newly Enlightened
I would recomend what I have: Fenix PD20 uses a CR123A so that makes it brighter, shorter and lighter.

NoFair

Flashlight Enthusiast
Imho Sunwayman are a bit above Quarks quality wise. If you have 14500 li-ions I'd say the M10A is a better choice than the M20A. A better 2AA choice is imho the Sunwayman V20A anniversary edition if Battery Junction have any left.

The V10A or V10R from Sunwayman are also very good.

michaelmcgo

Enlightened
I would recomend what I have: Fenix PD20 uses a CR123A so that makes it brighter, shorter and lighter.

Wow, this response was totally off-topic and had nothing to do with the OP question.

A bit of advice: I have a bunch of Quark lights and while they all have their quirks, they work every time I need them too (I've been EDCing some of them for over 2 years). The reason I always keep going back to Quarks is once you build up a collection you can keep legoing parts. It comes in really handy when I go hiking and I want to match batteries on all my lights.

shelm

Flashlight Enthusiast
swm m20a xml and quark x aa² tactical are 2 different lights. if you already have the quark and like the 2x AA form factor, then why not leave it like that? i would get a Fenix PD20 instead: it's even more different, takes CR123A, which makes it brighter, shorter and lighter.
anyway, i am out now for a beer, bye.

and I want to match batteries on all my lights.
i dont understand what you mean, sorry.

diesel79

Enlightened
I already have CR123 lights, I realize they are brighter and more powerful. I am interested in AA lights.

I ended up going with a Sunwayman V10A XM-L. Gonna drop down to a single AA, can pocket carry it vs using a holster. Also extremely bright on 14500 battery if I ever decide to switch from Eneloops.

Last edited:

ico

Enlightened
swm m20a xml and quark x aa² tactical are 2 different lights. if you already have the quark and like the 2x AA form factor, then why not leave it like that? i would get a Fenix PD20 instead: it's even more different, takes CR123A, which makes it brighter, shorter and lighter.anyway, i am out now for a beer, bye.i dont understand what you mean, sorry.
He means that by having lights that use the same battery, it is easier or him to prepare stuff since he only needs to prepare one kind of battery. Cr123's are also hard to find in some areas or are priced too much. A single surefire CR123 can cost 4.62 USD here

Mr_Moe

Newly Enlightened
It's not the XM-L version I have, it's the XP-G version, however I can say that the M20A is an excellent light. The ergonomics are wonderful you can't tell from the photos gripping it is very comfortable and you don't miss any knurling. Buildquality is great too. I think if you decide to get an M20A you won't regret it. I started EDCing mine, despite the larger size compared to a single AA light. Never thought I'd do that.

shelm

Flashlight Enthusiast
Mr_Moe, i have the strong feeling that you are a SWM fan!!

Carrying a 2x AA light as EDC? what the heck, that's fantastic :huh:
( i like my 1x 10440 keychain lights -- great as EDC too. as bright as a Sunawayman if it's for a short period only: 245lumens!! )

Kokopelli

Enlightened
I already have a Quark AA2 S2 and I just ordered a Sunwayman V20A. I hope it will be sent as soon as Chinese New Year holiday passes. Then I might compare these two.

But I also have a Fenix LD25 and a Klarus P2A. Quark is much brighter and smaller than my LD25 and maybe equally bright but much smaller than Klarus. I now EDC my LD25 for fun and even its bulky size (for a 2xAA) doesn't matter if you have coat pockets or a small shoulder bag.

Until my V20a arrives, I guess I can say Quark is the best 2xAA I have ever seen, in terms of size, brightness and interface (for regular ver). The best part is you can have different bodies for the same Quark head and EDC smaller with CR123 or use 1xAA for accessibility. I have a Thrunite Neutral Neutron 1C that is almost the CR123 version of my Quark but with mode memory and a neutral XML. I love to EDC my 1C too. There are just too many good options if you'd go to CR123 range (or better 16340 rechargeables) .