Xeno E03 run over by trucks, buried under snow, 7 days of rain & still works!

RCantor

Enlightened
About 10 days ago I lost my EDC Xeno E03 neutral. Disgusted with myself I ordered 2 more. After losing it we had snow, ice, then 7 days of rain. Today I went to check on a mushroom patch and on my way back I saw my Xeno half buried in the hardpacked gravel/dirt road. This is an active logging road. Huge, full logging trucks make several trips up and down all day. Boots don't leave footprints in this road and I doubt a human powered shovel could dig into it. Here's a photo of the impression of it in the road taken with my cell phone. Google+ doesn't do it justice. If I can share decent sized photos I'll replace these.

Pebbles were smushed into the lens and around the switch.

2012-01-20%2B16.09.24.jpg
2012-01-20%2B16.09.10.jpg

I blew the stuff out and fired it up. Unfortunately I didn't have the presence of mind to take photos until after I'd cleaned the switch area.It took a licking but it still works!

Last edited:

think2x

Flashlight Enthusiast
Very Nice! I swapped with my daughter, took her Quark and gave her one of these in warm. It's good to see that it can hold up so well.

Mr_Moe

Newly Enlightened
Man, that's impressive. I know another forum member who'll be surprised how much beating the E03 seems able to take. I'm tempted to grab another V2 in warm white, if they still have them. My V2 cool white needs siblings.

Chidwack

Enlightened
I think I'm going to take mine out and bury it in the snow for a week and then run it over with my truck. Maybe it will start working right. Mine hasn't worked right since I got it.

skyfire

Flashlight Enthusiast
i gave my mom and niece a warm XM-L version, and sometimes i worry because its not on par with the quality of lights i usually use.
but after seeing this, my mind is at peace heheh

thanks!

tobrien

Flashlight Enthusiast
i gave my mom and niece a warm XM-L version, and sometimes i worry because its not on par with the quality of lights i usually use.
but after seeing this, my mind is at peace heheh

thanks!
same here, i sell and gift some E03s sometimes but i think to myself it's not a Surefire, but yeah ditto this thread has given me peace of mind too haha

RCantor

Enlightened
I think I'm going to take mine out and bury it in the snow for a week and then run it over with my truck. Maybe it will start working right. Mine hasn't worked right since I got it.

This forum needs a 'like' button :) Did you contact the seller? I'm sure he'd make it right.

dingo1799

Newly Enlightened
im one-upping you.... the other day my surefire e2dL fell out of my pocket and one of the other hosers i work with ran over it with a 39,000 lb transit bus, the pocket clip, and switch cover got injured, but somehow the light didnt get bent, just rashed up...... its got war wounds!!!!

dingo1799

Newly Enlightened
as hard packed as the road it fell on was, it still had give, see evidence exhibit photo #A... there was no impression in the concrete when i picked mine up :p

js82

Newly Enlightened
Where I live semi-trailers that are loaded with logs usually have a gross weight (excluding tractor unit) of at least 40 metric tons. That's spread over 3 axles/12 tires though. How many tires did that transit bus have?

rebelbayou

Newly Enlightened
Here's another "tough" Xeno story. About 6 months ago I received a blue Xeno E03, opened it and put a 14500 in. When I hit the button, I was so impressed that I then went ouside and got on my Ninja ZX14 to go show it to a friend of mine who lives about 3 miles away. I had put a lobster claw clip with a little chain on it and clipped it the belt loop of my jeans. I was so excited that I guess I didn't check the clip to see if it was securely attatched. Hauled butt to my friends going anywhere from 100-140mph. Got off my bike and reached for my Xeno. It was gone and I was sick. Started backtracking and sure enough, about 1 mile back I found it on the side of the Interstate. Beat to hell and back and nicked, gouged up. But low and behold, worked like a champ and still is. It is my current EDC, but with a NEW lobster claw and heavier duty chain. Go Xeno!

tsask

Flashlight Enthusiast
Here's another "tough" Xeno story. About 6 months ago I received a blue Xeno E03, opened it and put a 14500 in. .I had put a lobster claw clip with a little chain on it and clipped it the belt loop of my jeans.Hauled butt to my friends going anywhere from 100-140mph. Got off my bike and reached for my Xeno. It was gone and I was sick. Started backtracking and sure enough, about 1 mile back I found it on the side of the Interstate. . Go Xeno!
WTG! a close call! I've had a couple close calls with 'lobster type" clips. IMHO they look cool and are easy to operate yet sometimes a little too easy to open.
140mph sounds like some real extreme EDC! For my E03 Ive found an iNova or Civictor holster holds the E03 snugly (a clip would be even more secure).
Exiting a vehicle is a time when a belt/ waist band attached EDC can be lost. Exiting the left side driver's seat with a right belt side EDC is a little safer than it would be in the UK for example because when door is opened a "detached EDC" could fall out of vehicle when getting out of a car. There have been several occasions when I've found a right side belt EDC on the seat or floor. IMHO proper attachment of the belt EDC is of tanamount importance. A 140 mph EDC is alot less forgiving.

Cool story about finding your E03. It's one thing not to find a certian light around the house, its quite another matter when the "lost EDC' is discovered AFTER being away from home! (I was concerned last week when at 3 to 5 mph walking speed I thought my Trust I EDC fell off my waist band due to an anemic clip)

It's only a matter of time before I can "justify" the "need" for another E03. maybe a different tint warm vs neutral?? - just to add to the collection (the blue one I have is great!)

Last edited:

tobrien

Flashlight Enthusiast
^on that note, what's the ultimate solution for a lanyard attachment for a Xeno? split ring?

ediit: @RCantor, do you have larger pics you can post? I've sold some E03s to police officers and i'd love to show them just how far they can push their E03s insofar as durability and usage goes if you don't mind :)

Last edited:

rickypanecatyl

Enlightened
Man, that's impressive. I know another forum member who'll be surprised how much beating the E03 seems able to take. I'm tempted to grab another V2 in warm white, if they still have them. My V2 cool white needs siblings.

There's some logic there... The 2 I bought both stopped working within the first few hours after a light knock and a light fall, but they do work intermitantly when I hit them on the edge of a table. Maybe I just need to really bang them to get them to work right! :)

Seriously it would be nice to know that they really did fix the reliability issues and maybe even go "overboard"?

DIΩDΣ

Enlightened
I dont know if its more impressive it survived or that you actually found it again. Did the lens survive or scratched to heck?

Not flashlight related but last year I ran over something pricey with my own truck - my Canon S5 camera (all plastic) and while not a logging truck it was my F350 and one of the front tires at that - with the weight of the V10 on it. Luckily (sort of) it was my whole camera bag full of gear, had both my cameras (S1 & S5), a metal telescoping tripod, battery charger (also plastic), and a few filters and such. There were tread marks right over the center of the bag! Cracked the plastic around the pop up flash, broke the canon emblem, and cracked the lense tube adapter and shattered the UV filter (just a cheapie one). Camera still worked! (well except the flash). I still use it today. Even bought another lense tube adapter for cheap and a new UV for it. I think having the bag packed full of stuff helped distribute the weight, had it just been the one camera it probably would have been crushed. I guess the UV filter served it purpose after all!

rickypanecatyl

Enlightened
Pretty impressive with your camera - can't explain it but feel it must be related to those times you stomp on an ant and it keeps walking or those guys who lay on boards of nails and then have a truck drive over them! :)

RCantor

Enlightened
^on that note, what's the ultimate solution for a lanyard attachment for a Xeno? split ring?

ediit: @RCantor, do you have larger pics you can post? I've sold some E03s to police officers and i'd love to show them just how far they can push their E03s insofar as durability and usage goes if you don't mind :)

You're welcome to use these. If you copy them they may be bigger for you. The forum shrinks them.