Zebralight AA Choices – Now vs Later

DavidD

Newly Enlightened
I am a AA Eneloop fan & am looking forward to the three new XM-L lights coming:

S5310 theoretically due sometime in 2012
T5 theoretically due sometime in 2012
Q50 theoretically due sometime...

I have never had a Zebralight, and was anxious to make the Q50 my first. So, while I am waiting, I am looking at the 51 series.

The only headlamp I have is a 2 mode .5 Watt 2xAAA from Target purchased years ago. I don't use it very often (hardly ever). Generally if I need 'hands free,' I utilize the 'lips over teeth' mouth hold. So, I would normally lean towards the SC51. However, the accidental turning on thing is worrisome – I don't want to have to unscrew the tailcap, even a quarter turn.

Is it really a big problem with the SC51? Does the H51 do any better (stays off in pocket)? Not really interested in the SC80 due to increased size & no need of CR123s.

Other than Zebralight's web site, all other vendors indicate that they are sold out of both? Production slowdown due to 600 series? Or another reason that anyone knows of?

gcbryan

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have the H51 (and H51f). I haven't had it turn on and I carry it in my cargo pants when I'm outside (before I need it). I've never had it turn on. If I was packing it in a backpack I would just turn the tailcap a bit.

Sometimes I've even done that when carrying it in my pocket. It's not as much of an issue as it sounds however. You don't have to turn the tail cap any more than a millimeter or two. It's not "loose" in that configuration. It's a non-issue for me.

The H51f is my most used light and one of the few that I wouldn't change a thing about it.

Chidwack

Enlightened
The other day I threw my H51 and a UF-H3 in my coat pocket and took them over to my son's house to show him. I didn't take any extra batteries and the H51 had turned on and the battery was dead. That taught me a lesson. I will loosen the tail cap from now on.

AaronG

Enlightened
I have the H51F and I'm very happy with it. I use it on the head band so I can't comment on the accidental turn-on. If your worried about it, the SC80 has a deeper recess for the switch so it might be worth another look.

Also the SC80 is all current controlled so there's no flicker on low low ;)

Last edited:

FlashKat

Flashlight Enthusiast
The SC51 is a great light. As others have mentioned the turning of the tailcap is a non issue.
The ironic part is that Surefire and many other brands have the same feature called a lockout tailcap to prevent accidental activation, and it is highly praised.

pinetree89

Enlightened
The SC51 really is a great light. I purchased an SC51w alone on all the positive recommendations coming out of CPF. On paper along with the design didn't really catch my interest, but once you have it in hand you'll realize what a small powerful and versatile light it is. Very well made too.

Pocket activation is an issue with the soft switch. I have had it turn on in my pocket a few times. To mitigate this I either lockout the tailcap, and I'd say 1/16th of a turn is enough to do the trick. Or, per another recommendation here on CPF, leave it on moon mode all the times. It would be nice if they did a redesign of the switch and made an SC52 or something, but IMO the good on the light outweighs the bad ten to one.

I too hope Zebra gets more AA options out soon.

nanucq

Newly Enlightened
I have the H51F and I'm very happy with it. I use it on the head band so I can't comment on the accidental turn-on. If your worried about it, the SC80 has a deeper recess for the switch so it might be worth another look.

Also the SC80 is all current controlled so there's no flicker on low low ;)

+1, really love mine, and it's by no means a big flashlight !!!. The handling and the comfortable grip provided by the knuckling are really nice. The recessed and stiffer switch resolves the hot pocket problem, but the pocket clip without screws and the lack of lanyard attachment point can be another problem depending on your usage.
You should give it another look.

GaAslamp

Enlightened
Is it really a big problem with the SC51?

From what I've read, it seems to be a big issue, at least for some people. Slightly loosening the tail cap, as already mentioned by others, should resolve it though. There are other ways to resolve the issue as well, although they take some minor modding (e.g. gluing an O-ring around the switch).

Does the H51 do any better (stays off in pocket)?

I think it does. I've carried my H51c in my front pants pocket (clipped to the top) for about six months now without loosening the tail cap, and have never had a single accidental activation (thus far). Theoretically it could happen, of course, just as with any flashlight, but it hasn't been an issue for me at all. Then again, I don't carry many other things in that pocket--nothing that would, under any normal set of circumstances, bump the switch from below (maybe if I did a handstand or something :)). Still, I have to give you the usual disclaimer that "your mileage may vary" because we all have different ways of doing things, obviously.

Samy

Enlightened
Before i put my iPhone in my pocket i lock it so it doesn't do anything it shouldn't.

Before i put my SC51 in my pocket i lock it so it doesn't do anything it shouldn't.

cheers

eh4

Flashlight Enthusiast
The accidental on thing isn't that big of a deal to me, I've had it happen a couple of times, I carry a random assortment of crap in my pocket that has managed to push the button. It's more a user issue than a flashlight design issue in my mind.
The tailcap lockout is a solid solution if you're really worried about it, but the UI is well worth the possibility of accidental activation. -I prefer the quiet, soft button to the slightly louder, firmer button on a later model that I ordered as a gift for a friend.
-All in reference to H51Fc

I'd just get one now rather than wait for some future light, they are too handy to not have a couple spare anyways.
The SC80W and SC80CRI are on the website now! Back ordered.

Last edited:

DavidD

Newly Enlightened
The SC80W and SC80CRI are on the website now! Back ordered.

Yeah, it seems like a lot of models are backordered, pretty much everywhere.

Well, I decided to go for the SC51. Partly because I don't really use a headlamp - although I was really contemplating pocket carrying the H51 if it was less prone to accidental turn on, but in the end because it was the only model NOT backordered. I don't really care if it is cool white or neutral 'w' white, but again, only the cool white was not backordered.

Thanks to everyone for your input. Your assistance was most helpful!

David

Bill S.

Newly Enlightened
Great choice. I have the SC51 cool and love it. I have a little pocketknife sheath I keep it in. Protects the glass in a pocket with other stuff and keeps it from turning on.

LED_Thrift

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's a GREAT light. I glued a piece of aluminum tubing [ski pole] to mine and accidental activation is rarely a problem now. I'm glad the switch is so easy to operate, and the UI is fantastic. This close up picture makes it look more noticeable than in real life - it really looks like it's an original part of the light.

Thifty

UpstandingCitizen

Enlightened
Yeah, it seems like a lot of models are backordered, pretty much everywhere.

Well, I decided to go for the SC51. Partly because I don't really use a headlamp - although I was really contemplating pocket carrying the H51 if it was less prone to accidental turn on, but in the end because it was the only model NOT backordered. I don't really care if it is cool white or neutral 'w' white, but again, only the cool white was not backordered.

Thanks to everyone for your input. Your assistance was most helpful!

David

I think you've made a great choice, and you'll be very happy with it. Even though I'm pretty new to the game, I've handled a good amount of single AA/AAA lights and the SC51 is hands down the best IMHO.

In fact, I started out with the SC51, then went to the SC51w (which I liked even more), and since I've been bitten by the HCRI bug I'm now waiting for an SC51c that I got on the marketplace. :sssh:

B0wz3r

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've had my SC50w+ for almost two years, and until about three months ago it was my regular pocket EDC. In that time, I had a grand total of about 5 hot-pocket issues with it, so for me, it hasn't been much of a problem at all.

That said, I really like all my ZL's and still prefer their UI and form factor to any other light. I currently EDC a high CRI Preon 1 while working, and a high CRI Quark regular Legoed with an AA body and a 14500 in my EDC bag. I'm really loving the warm tint they have. Eventually I'll get an SC51c, and it might become my go-to light. But even though I don't EDC one of my ZL's right now, I still prefer their interface and the side clicky over any other form factor and UI.

Websniper

Newly Enlightened
I think you made a good choice. I've had more issues with unintentional activation with my Preon 2 than my ZL. Actually, I've never had my ZL turn on in the pocket of my hunting coat or the front pocket of my jeans. I've found the Preon completely dead once, and powered up on several other occasions.

DavidD

Newly Enlightened
I think you made a good choice. I've had more issues with unintentional activation with my Preon 2 than my ZL. Actually, I've never had my ZL turn on in the pocket of my hunting coat or the front pocket of my jeans. I've found the Preon completely dead once, and powered up on several other occasions.

I too have numerous unintended turn on incidents with my main EDC, a D10. The difference there is that I always short-cut to low before pocketing it. So, if it gets activated, no big deal - for either hot pocket or dead battery. The low is low enough that neither happens. Most activations with ZL click it on to High. Big difference! I guess my practice of short-cutting the D10 to low is similar to unscrewing the tailcap of the SC51. However, unscrewing the tailcap is (I'm guessing) a two-handed affair - note that I don't store my D10 unscrewed for momentary action. Ideally, I want to be able to retrieve and activate it one-handed.

According to tracking, it is likely that my new SC51 will be delivered tomorrow!! I will have to see how touchy the switch is, and if the tailcap can be turned one-handed.

David

Last edited: