EDC, pocketable light with good hotspot for distance work.

steve1673

Newly Enlightened
1) How would you prefer to purchase the light?
_X___I will be mail-ordering or buying online, so this doesn't matter.

2) Budget: An easy question, but you may change your mind after answering the rest! :)
__X__Less than $100.

3) Format:
_X___I want a flashlight.

4) Flashlight-specific format/size:
_X___Every day carry small (2-4 inches).

5) Emitter/Light source:
__X__LED (known for efficiency, longevity, and compactness)

6) Manufacturer:
__X__I want to buy a light from a traditional mass producing manufacturer that is ready to go out of the box.

7) What battery type do you want to use?

_X___I intend to use rechargeable nickel chemistry (NiCad, NiMH, NiZn)
__X__I intend to use rechargeable lithium (li-ion) chemistry. Feel free to specify a size if you know which size you want (14500, RCR123/16340, 17500, 17670, 18650, etc.)

8) How much genuine out the front (OTF) light do you want/need? Sometimes you can have too much light (trying to read up close up with a 100 lumen light is impossible).
__X__I want to walk around an unlit rural area (50-150 lumens).
_X___I want to illuminate my entire backyard or a campsite (150-300 lumens).

9) Throw vs. Flood: At what distance will you be most likely to use this light? Select all that apply.
__X__150+ yards (I want maximum throw possible)

10) Runtime: Not over-inflated manufacturer runtime claims, but usable brightness measured from first activation to 50% with new batteries (Measured on maximum output).
_X___30-60 minutes (I have plenty of batteries just ready to be changed)

11) Durability/Usage: Generally the old phrase "you get what you pay for" is very accurate for flashlights.
_X___Very Important (Camping, Backpacking, Car Glove-box).

12) Switch Type and location (choose all that apply):
_X___I want a tail mounted switch (found on the majority of today's high end lights).

13) User Interface (UI) and mode selection. Select all that apply.
_X__A simple on-off with only one output level is fine for me.
__X_I want multiple light levels. (Some lights have 5-16 light levels.)

14)Material/Finish/Coating
__X__I don't know.

15) Special Needs/extras: Is there anything else you want or need that hasn't been mentioned? Select any below.
__X__Pocket/belt clip

Hopefully all the above makes sense. I'm looking for something similar to the nitecore ex11.2, but with less flood, and more hotspot. (and better quality, from what I've read here) Variable output would be a bonus.
this will be EDC in the pocket, so a clip and small size is important.
I really don't know/care about battery type, as long as I can use something rechargeable in there.

TIA!

Bigmac_79

Flashlight Enthusiast
Check out the reviews in my signature for the V20C or T20CS, one of those might be right for you. The T20CS is pocketable if you have large pockets, but not if you're into tight pants ;)