Mag Light MagTac @ SHOT 2012

StuGatz

Enlightened
It was a little difficult to post from SHOT and after a search I have not been able to find anything about the pending new model so here it is. Mods please move if I missed something elsewhere...

The guys from Mag Light (at SHOT 2012) allowed for a little examination of the upcoming release of their MagTac with an expected release sometime between summer and December 2012.

Last years "Anchorman" was not available for interview so after a briefing of the "MagTac" prototypes from Scott, I was allowed a little alone time...

Unfortunately not much more specs currently available other than what is mentioned in the video and I was advised that of course, there may be some differences in the final two versions.

Click the Pic:

DSC05435.jpg

DSC05436.jpg

DSC05437.jpg

DSC05439.jpg

DSC05438.jpg

Last edited:

Loomin

Newly Enlightened
^^^ X100000000......... Glad to see Maglite make it into 2007 and they might do it by 2013 (it's "expected" but not guaranteed)

I'm glad to see a US company trying to step up but i feel like it's a day late (more like 4 years late) and a dollar short (too expensive). This seems to be more like a glove box light than a tactical light to me, unless of course you use it as a club. It looks huge for a 2xCR123!

Plus i guess we won't know until next year when it comes out, but i don't see it being less than $50 when you compare other similar maglites and prices. And in the $50+ range i think there are going to be WAY better options available by then. There are already better options NOW (IMO). But who knows what the new biggest baddest thing will be by then. If this thing becomes popular, it will be because it's indestructible, not because of the specs.

Retinator

Enlightened
I like the tan, hope it's HA too.

I wonder if they'll all have the teeth or be just flat like the tan one. I like the teeth.

I'm glad they won't be out for awhile, need time to build up my savings.

Child of Rawls

Newly Enlightened
The Bose of flashlights has done it again, making last year's tech somehow still sound cutting edge.

sniper

Enlightened
OOoo..dot's NIZE! C123s, non-crennellated with three very useful modes...I never did get what a strobe was for, anyway...Signalling a helicopter, or the Mother Ship? Amazing the girlfriend...like for 18 seconds?

Looks like Mag has hit its market again...lights that will do 90% of what 90% of us will ever use it for! What do you bet the after-market sales for Crenellated bezels will be brisk?

tam17

Enlightened
I don't mean to steal this thread, but... were there any other Mag prototypes on display @ SHOT 2012?

Cheers,

Tam

alpg88

Flashlight Enthusiast
wow, it does exsist, i tought maglite never makes anything that does not run on alkaline or supplied recharrgable battery.

alpg88

Flashlight Enthusiast
wow, it does exsist, i tought maglite never makes anything that does not run on alkaline or supplied recharrgable battery.

ABEDOOLEY

Newly Enlightened
YEEESSS! IT'S ABOUT TIME!! I have been waiting for years for Mag-Lite to catch up. I am a big believer in Mag-Lite. I love their reliability and ruggedness. Some of the more expensive lights feel fragile and dainty to me. I am unsure how the new Mag's will uphold to their reputation of the light that cant be broken. Hopefully they've been taking their time trying to make the best Tactical light on the market and not just playing catch-up and pushing something onto the market.

derfyled

Flashlight Enthusiast
I hope they are not using the same horrible PWM driver that they use in the multilevel minimag...:sick2:

Fresh Light

Enlightened
Also says 320 Lumens so more than the 250 estimate on the initial display. Sounds pretty good. I've never had a stock maglite fail. Is this running XPG? Doubtful they have updated to XPG2, right?

Chicken Drumstick

Flashlight Enthusiast
Without seeing more pics, I thought the clip looked quite good. Deep carry, physically attached and good length.

eyeeatingfish

Enlightened
The pocket clip looks removeable. Looks like a solid light, something akin to the Inova 2 cell lights.

Gunner12

Flashaholic
Yeah, it does look similar the Inova lights. Pricing could actually be decent if it is durable and easy to use.