Which HDS would suit me?

Johnbeck180

Enlightened
When I purchase a light I always tell myself that this will be my last one. Then, inevitably I find myself Meandering around Cpf and different sites on the net looking at lights and reading reviews. When I first noticed Cpf some time back I alway read about how good looking a light had to be, well I never understood that until recently. At first my light had to have alot of throw, then it was alot of lumens, then it had to be small and bright, then it was a very good low mode. Funny how tastes change. now It has to be all of the above wrapped up in one very good looking light. That's why I'm looking at getting an HDS. My question is, witch one would be my best choice. It would be my EDC, I work construction so it would be going with me in attics, under houses, we work after dark some to. I would use it on low to walk around my house. So should I get 120 hi CRI, 140,170. I didn't list the 200 because I would like it to have more throw than flood. Is there a big difference in lumens(visually) between 120 hi CRI and 170? I am very excited and anxious to pull the trigger on one of these good looking lights. I just want to make sure I get the one that would fit me best. I mentioned before that I didn't list the 200 Lu version because I've read that it was more floody and had less throw than the 140 or 170 is this true?

think2x

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Witch HDS would fit me.

I can't quote it for fact but I'm guessing the HCRI 120 is an XP-G (maybe) as is the 200 so throw will be the same roughly between the two. I have a 140GT Legacy(SSC P4) and a 120E ACME (golden dragon) The 120E throws farther than the 140GT with has a narrower spot. I also HAD the older HCRI (also an SSC P4) which I carried at work alot. I also work construction (electrician) and I have never "needed" more output for any situation but if you are worried about enough throw and output the 170 (a golden dragon emitter I believe) should handle it nicely with the narrower spot and a little extra output.

EDIT: Just confirmed from another thread, the new HCRI looks like an XP-G and as such will have the beam profile like a 200

Last edited:

GaAslamp

Enlightened
I mentioned before that I didn't list the 200 Lu version because I've read that it was more floody and had less throw than the 140 or 170 is this true?

Yes, the 200 definitely has less throw than the 170, and I'd expect that it has less throw than even the 140, as well.

Johnbeck180

Enlightened
I pulled the trigger on the 120c. Figured I never use more lumens than that and if I do its usually just to show off. If that's not enough I can always bump up to 140 or 170. Thanks for your reply.