General purpose "around the house" light

Flash SWT

Newly Enlightened
Howdy! I'm looking for a little advice on my next flashlight purchase which will be only the second LED light I've bought. I never realized how many different flashlights brands were out there until I started reading CPF! As such I'm sure there are some that would fit my needs that I haven't heard about yet.

I'm looking for a good general purpose "around the house" flashlight. It'll be used by my wife and I for all manner of things: power outages, looking under the coach for kid's toys, searching the neighborhood for the dog, etc. I want to stick with 2xAA for this light so that batteries can be easily scavenged if needed. Tail-stand is important. I'd like it to be durable and waterproof so it'll hold up in an emergency and abuse from the kids.

I'm strongly considering the Quark AA², R5 Edition based on it's numerous brightness modes that should fit any situation. I especially like the low power modes with very long runtime, perfect for after a hurricane, but the fact that it also goes to 200 lumens. I'm considering this one over the "X" model since the low power mode lasts longer even though the "max" setting of the X is brighter.

My main question is: what else should I consider that compares to the Quark? Am I missing out on a great model from a manufacturer I've never heard of?

Thank you for your time and opinions!

Jrubin

Newly Enlightened
You actually have made a great suggestion your self. I have the same light. I also have a single AA body as well, I get a lot of use out of it. Just so that you know, you can "Lego" these quarks, you can put the head on multiple bodies, use different batteries as well, if you get rechargeable batteries (Eneloop's) you can also save some money in the long run. There are so many AA battery flashlights to choose from, but for a start I think your on your way.

Chicken Drumstick

Flashlight Enthusiast
There really is no shortage of great lights to chose from, and I suspect no matter what you get you'll be impressed with. That said, I recently gifted an EagleTac D25A2 to my brother. Very compact and bright and with a 3 lumen low mode. Really impressed, so much so I went out and bought the D25LC2 variant for myself.

The Klarus ST20 might be worth a look too, 200hrs @ 2 lumens or a MAX of 240 lumens. Not sure on the tail standing though.

reppans

Flashlight Enthusiast
For AAs, good low lumen modes, and extended runtimes, I honestly don't think the Quark can be beat - and I've been really trying hard to look for one for the last couple of weeks!

For inside use where you have white walls and relatively short distances, you'll want a good selection of low levels with reasonably spacing. Moonlight is perfect for preserving your night vision and not disturbing sleeping kids or spouses, and I rarely use more than 4 lumens indoors. In an extended blackout (and we've had 2 week-long ones in 2 yrs) we could live with just moonlight, if necessary, for the extended runtime.

There're some magnetic variable ring lights that allow infinite adjustments, but they are really inefficient by comparison. I've also been looking at Jetbeam, Sunwayman, and Eagletac competing offerings, but I don't like the lack of moonlight and/or low-end mode spacing (not to mention warranties). You may have different tastes, however, so check them out too.

If you'd consider a single AA, I also look into the Zebralights, I have an H51w. Also has moonlight w/>300 hrs, and great low end mode spacing, yet with a high near 200 lumens. What I find great about the ZL is that it is a 90-degree angle light w/clip which gives you many more hands-free use options over traditional lights, (not to mention it comes with a headband).

I'd second Jrubin on getting the single AA body - it's made my Quark my EDC, and the 2xAA-body makes a great spare batt container for you bag. Also the +1 on the Eneloops.

Flash SWT

Newly Enlightened
Thanks guys, I appreciate the input. I checked out the suggestions (EagleTac D25A2, Klarus ST20, Sunwayman V20A, Jetbeam PA-20) and am still leaning toward the Quark. I'm also gonna go with 2xAA in this light for the extra power since it'll just be sitting around the house and not EDC. I like some things about all of those lights suggested but keep coming back to the super long moonlight mode on the quark plus the option for 4 lumens right above it.

After I try this one out I'll be looking to pick up a single AA for my wife to keep in her car (I already got a Streamlight ProTac 2L for mine since work buys the 123 batteries). I still can't believe how many different flashlight options are out there!

I'll definitely be picking up some Eneloops. Now I just need to finish reading the other threads here to decide between battery chargers!

Again I appreciate the help and of course welcome any other opinions out there.

hiuintahs

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've got the Quark X AA tactical version, but I think its too nice of a light to have as a kitchen drawer utility light. Our utility light gets used when working on the car and other areas that takes a toll on the cosmetic condition of the light. For that reason, I've relegated the $18 Romisen RC-G2 (R4) single AA, single mode light for this purpose. It's not as efficient as my $40 single AA lights but it does the job...........and I love the tint of that R4.

Another really good light for this purpose would also be the iTP SA1 (R5). It's another single AA light though. I just got one of those and it has as good of efficient driver circuit as the most expensive lights from what I can tell. (I've got a light box and data logging light meter). I don't think the SA1 is very popular with the CPF'ers because it's kind of big for a single AA light but as a general purpose light it would be great because its solid, it has a side push button switch for the modes so everyone will easily be able to operate it in the family and the modes are very well spaced. I noticed that the reflector on the SA1 is lightly textured unlike the one on my SA2. That smooths the beam out a little better.

I am also tempted to put a Streamlight Stylus Pro or Terralux Lightstar 80 (2AAA lights) there. They are very simple one mode nice run time medium mode single output type of lights that are around $20 and feel real nice in the hand. They also get 5 to 6 hours of run time too.

I wouldn't limit this general purpose light to fill the role for all of your activities. I'd start to accumulating a few lights and then sell the ones you aren't that impressed with. My Quark X AA sits on the nightstand next to the bed. Then there is the glove box light and other lights too.

Last edited:

Flash SWT

Newly Enlightened
hiuintahs, thanks for your thoughts as well. You make a very good point about having a "cheap" light you don't have to worry about getting banged up for certain jobs.

I'm still not sure the Quark can be beat for the low end "don't wake baby" mode. I'm starting to see why so many people here own so many different lights, it is kinda addicting with all the options out there!