Kelty LumaCamp Lantern: D x 4, 170 Lumens for 17 Hours, Cree LED x 2

LanternLover

Newly Enlightened
Interesting. That one claims to be regulated and made of anodized aluminum. Are we finally seeing a professional lantern?

MorePower

Enlightened
Only the three ribs are aluminum, the rest of the body is ABS plastic.

It does appear to have infinitely variable output ("the advanced rheostat switch enables you to dim the light to your desired level"), however, which would be an improvement over the Remington.

CyberCT

Enlightened
Assuming the LEDs / Opticts / Batterys and Battery Configurations are the same, is it safe to say that the 300 emitter lumens is equal to 170 OTF lumens? Jeez that's a loss of 42%.

LanternLover

Newly Enlightened
That's not surprising, I think. Lanterns have to soften the glare by diffusing it. A lot of light is lost in that process. This is particularly a problem with LED lanterns since the LED is such a small concentrated source of light. Flashlights don't have to bother with glare reduction. They just focus the light and its not surprising that they achieve higher efficiencies in their optical systems. A diffuser used with a flashlight works the same: it reduces glare but a lot of light is lost in the process.

LEDAdd1ct

Flashlight Enthusiast
I can't prove this (yet?) but the "Kelty" and "Remington" appear to be the same OEM, just as MorePower suggests.

The diffuser plastic looks very, very much like the one used by GE.

If I can recall the link, I'll find the OEM for GE. I bet you'll find the same lanterns there!

To find this out, we need to dig up who the OEM for Jasco is. I can't remember the name offhand, but I think it is Chinese.

Last edited: