• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Sold/Expired ***RETRACTED*** KL1 700mA Q3J

Chop

Flashlight Enthusiast
***Didn't seem to be any interest, so... If you already have one that you'd like modded, look me up if you'd like.

OK, I had a bunch of Q3J's without a home, so... here goes.

Right now, I have two KL1's that are, externally, in the condition that they came in from Surefire. Brand new and never carried.

I modded these with Q3J high domes. They're white and bright. They've also been overdriven to 700mA.

Both have NX05 optics in them. I find that these optics give the best all around beam. Good throw with a good amount of sidespill.

They are going for $95 a piece for the modded KL1 head only.

If you want a Fraen LP it'll be an extra $5. I also have one McFlood left. If you'd like that, it'll be an extra $9. All prices include USPS priority shipping with delivery confirmation to the CONUS. International transactions will pay actual shipping. This is usually around an extra $5. Payment by PayPal cash transfer only.

I haven't posted beam shots yet, but I've posted so many you guys are probably getting tired of seeing them. These look just like the other Q3J's I've done.

If you're interested, post then PM.

Actually, I'll post pics soon. I couldn't believe how closedly the HA matches on these.

OK, here's the pics.

First the heads themselves:
face2870.jpg

The business end:
face286c.jpg

And the obligatory beamshot from ~3 feet on a white wall.
face2868.jpg

I only took one beamshot because they both look exactly the same.

BTW, these use the stock KL1 circuit that has been overdriven, so these will run on 1X123, 2X123 or 3X123.

CM

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: KL1 700mA Q3J

Those heads look flawless. So you figured out how to disassemble one without the jackhammer ? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Chop

Flashlight Enthusiast

No, I did use a jackhammer! That's the beauty of it. You can't tell. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

koala

Flashlight Enthusiast

I clamp the bezel between two wood and a g-clamp.. the next second I know, I have a chipped lens. I did tighten it slowly it didn't even grab properly. I did not try to unscrew it. Sat down and had a good cry /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mecry.gif. Fortunately it was at the sides so it didn't affect the light output but it's fugly.

Then I removed the clamp. Proceed with heat blower, unscrewed the entire unit, bezel, middle, end with my bare hands without any effort... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon23.gif

Sometimes force is not always true. ARC LS FirstRun did took alot of effort though..

Chop

Flashlight Enthusiast

nukiez,
I always try to loosen by hand first, then go to the vise. BTW, what did you try to turn the bezel ring with? Use a strap wrench.

Do you have another lens?

koala

Flashlight Enthusiast

I disassembled everything with little heat and bare hands. No I am not a strong person. My KL1 is loose.

Vince.

Chop

Flashlight Enthusiast

nukiez,
I your case it appears that you're lucky. The two that I did above, were bears to get apart. I was beginning to believe that someone had welded the parts together.

Directions:
1. Heat
2. Vice
3. Strap wrench
4. Repeat if necessary

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

koala

Flashlight Enthusiast

I am lucky provided my lens did not chip in the first place /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mecry.gif.

Vince.

kj

Enlightened

I'm wondering why there is no interest. Maybe it has already gone around? Or maybe they want III on KL1? Not sure. Anyway, I have his modded 1A R2K KL1 and this is great.

1. I feel HD is better than LD mainly for its color. I have a few stock KL1 but all are bluish and I don't like that color. Putting HD makes your KL1 beam white. I think KL1 should have HD. Mine is R2K so it's a little off white. I assume Q3J is whiter than R2K.

2. This overdrive works very well. Also, the Fraen LP is interesting. Although it produces nearly no sidespill, it still produces an useful beam since the hotshot is bigger than others. Also, the hotspot of overdriven KL1 with Fraen LP is brighter than KL4 and it will outthrow KL4.

3. I like KL1. It's small and it works both 1 cell and 2 cells.

Since I like this mod, I've started trying KL1 mods by myself /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif I really appreciate Chop's help on this.

CM

Flashlight Enthusiast

People may be waiting for the 3W. However, I'm not sure how well the KL1 can handle a 1A drive level. Most of the diodes's I've seen in the packages used in the converters (KL1, BB, Arcs) have a maximum 1A continuous rating. That's with a junction temp at 25C. In these flashlight applications, that is almost never the case. I think to safely run at 1A, you need to go to an SMA or SMB package. I don't intend to run mine at 1A unless I can find a suitable Schottky diode that can handle 1A. I think On-Semiconductors makes a good 3A schottky with low Vf. 1A at 400mV is 400mW. That's a lot of power for a Schottky in a tiny package. If you do drive the 3W at 700mA, I'm not sure if there's a whole lot of benefit to that as opposed to driving a *good* 1W at 700mA. Unless Lumiled's are going to handpick the brightest LED's to put into the 3W. There's a lot of speculation on the answer to these questions and we won't know until probably towards Christmas. I'm not holding my breath. I need my bright light NOW /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

CM

Chop

Flashlight Enthusiast

CM,
What I'm planning to do is drive the 3W at something between 900mA and 1A. I'll do one as a test and leave it on for about a week, changing batts, of course.

If specs don't lie, we should see more light from a 3W at 700mA than we do with a 1W, but only time will tell and seeing is believing.

I really like the KL1 platform and I guess we'll have to figure how to run a 3W at 1A in the KL1. I'm just waiting to see how the heat issue works out.

CM

Flashlight Enthusiast

I can get it to run at 1A. I just need to replace the diode with a beefier one. You too can do this. I'm trying to get samples from On-Semi. Fringe benefit of my occupation /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

CM

Chop

Flashlight Enthusiast

CM,
I'll keep my eye out for what you come up with. In the mean time, I'm gonna see just how far a KL1 can be pushed. Like I said previously, the heat is a concern. Regardless of the circuit, 1A with a 3W may be too much for the KL1 to handle, in terms of heat. 700mA may be a magic number for the 3W in the KL1. I guess we'll see. We should be seeing the 3W's from Wayne soon, so I guess we'll find out soon enough.

CM

Flashlight Enthusiast

[ QUOTE ]
Chop said:
...We should be seeing the 3W's from Wayne soon, so I guess we'll find out soon enough.

[/ QUOTE ]

Soon? Well, at least it's sometime this year. I haven't been following Lumiled's history of hitting their product release targets so I guess I shouldn't be so cynical.

Chop

Flashlight Enthusiast

CM,
Unless I'm mistaken, Wayne said, on his 3W thread, that the 3Ws are coming in this week and he's gonna start shipping.

Did I miss something? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon3.gif

CM

Flashlight Enthusiast

No kidding? Wow, can't wait to see them. Thanks for the heads up Chop. Been asleep at the wheel all along.

Chop

Flashlight Enthusiast

So, do I do the red/orange mod or the 3W mod first? Need more KL1's. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Cris,
I'm really hoping that the 3W at 700mA will be a worthwhile mod. Much like underdriving a 5W is, but I'm having my doubts. If Q flux 1Ws put out 30-40 lumens at spec then we're getting 45-60 lumens driving the 1W at 700mA. So, driving the 3W at 700mA may not be too much of an improvement. The advantage of the 3W may well lie in its ability to run at 1A; however, even running at 1A may not live up to the hype.

The specs published by lumiled says that a white 3W will put out an average of 65 lumens at 700mA and 80 lumens at 1A. This isn't an eye boggling improvement considering the performance we've been getting out of the Q3J's as of late.

Who knows, the real beauty of the 3W may be in clocking it up to 1.5A, but then we'd need a circuit to suit.

Oh well, I'm talking in circles. I guess in a couple of weeks you'll either hear me raving about the 3W in my new KL1 mod or you'll hear me complaining about my KL1 having melted.

If swapping the schottky diode will take us comfortably to 1A, will it also pave the way for 1.5A. But then there's the heat. What a vicious circle. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon3.gif

Maybe it's time to dump the KL1 and find a new host to play with. Maybe the KL3. DSpeck is doing another run of E2C's. The McLux looks interesting, but the KL3 may have better heat dissipating properties by virtue of its size and surface area.