BlackShadow
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New Headlamp User

Default Re: New Headlamp User

deleted.
    Last edited by reppans; 02-19-2012 at 09:38 PM.

Here's a good example of what "unregulated" means...

Go to BD's site and look at the Storm HERE. Then clicked on the box "More Tech Info." There's a little chart that says maximum is good for 100 lumens, 50 hours, 70 meters. Then next to it, it shows the illuminated distance at maximum at various points in time:

00:00H - 70m
    00:30H - 57m (wow... starts dropping off hard in 30mins... w/4xAAA )
    10:00H - 9m
    30:00H - 7m

Btw, min, or 4 lumens, says 3m...

Then look what retailers like REI quotes as runtimes for Max...HERE. They even say "regulated." This borders on fraud .
    Last edited by reppans; 02-19-2012 at 09:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by reppans View Post
    00:30H - 57m (wow... starts dropping off hard in 30mins... w/4xAA )
    that's on alkaline AAA batteries. will behave very differently on Eneloop AAA.

I think my 1xAAA Preon Revo SS might outperform that Storm at Max.....NiMh or Alk.

I think my 1xAAA Preon Revo SS might outperform that Storm at Max.....NiMh or Alk.
    well, selfbuilt's review says the Preon Revo runs for an hour on a Eneloop and half an hour on a alkaline. i'm pretty sure the Storm can beat that.

Quote Originally Posted by robostudent5000 View Post
    well, selfbuilt's review says the Preon Revo runs for an hour on a Eneloop and half an hour on a alkaline. i'm pretty sure the Storm can beat that.
    Well I see that as more of a tie then.

BD says at 00:30 it's dropped to 57m, and (57m/70m)x100 lumens = 81 lumens. That's the crossover point with the Revo's regulated maximum. Anything longer than half an hour and both on Alks are falling a below 82 lumens.

BTW, I understand that 4/7s quotes OTF lumens..... I'd be willing to bet that BD's are emitter lumens... kinda like how they quote 50hrs runtime on Max .

BD says at 00:30 it's dropped to 57m, and (57m/70m)x100 lumens = 81 lumens. That's the crossover point with the Revo's regulated maximum. Anything longer than half an hour and both on Alks are falling a below 82 lumens.

BTW, I understand that 4/7s quotes OTF lumens..... I'd be willing to bet that BD's are emitter lumens... kinda like how they quote 50hrs runtime on Max .
    the Storm drives 400mA at the LED so the 100 lumen number is probably OTF. and at about 80% efficiency, should run for about 2 and a half hours on a set of Eneloops. that easily outlasts the Preon Revo.

BD's numbers are based on ANSI standards. i think ANSI lumens are OTF lumens. ANSI runtimes are a bit more dubious since it measures down to 10% or initial output.

i don't own a Storm, have no vested interest in how it performs. i don't think it makes sense to just assume the worst about something without really finding out more info about. even going by BD's info, we don't know what happened in their test between 30 minutes and 10 hours. for all we know, output may have stabilized there for another hour before it started to decline like it did in this Princeton Tec Eos test. it could have just kept on dropping too i suppose. point being, either could be true.

Ok... fair enough.... point taken.

Guess I'm just spoiled by the disappointment of owning a bunch of these plastic headlamps and the continual marketing hype I read like "50 hrs runtime on Max."

Here's my wasted money, at least what I could find at the moment. (Actually that's too harsh, they're still useful around the house, and near my battery charger, but they're definitely not worth taking camping for me anymore.)

Last edited by reppans; 02-20-2012 at 09:54 AM.

Guess I'm just spoiled by the disappointment of owning a bunch of these plastic headlamps and the continual marketing hype I read like "50 hrs runtime at Max."
    true that.

Flashaholic*

Here's my wasted money, at least what I could find at the moment. (Actually that's too harsh, they're still useful around the house, and near my battery charger, but they're definitely not worth taking camping for me anymore.)
    Just out of curiosity (as I have recently purchased one on the basis of recommendations here on CPF), what don't you like about the Black Diamond Lantern ?
    WTB Any Brand locking pliers multitool, Kershaw Bit Kit, leather sheath

Quote Originally Posted by Gregozedobe View Post
    Just out of curiosity (as I have recently purchased one on the basis of recommendations here on CPF), what don't you like about the Black Diamond Lantern ?
    OK, let's start out with my DIY Lantern for comparison (note you can use Zebralight interchangeably with Quark, I use them both):

- I don't like 360-degree light because it's either annoyingly in front of you and directly in your line of sight, or it's more comfortably off to your side and wasting 50% of the light by projecting where you're not looking.
    - When I camp, it's dark, very dark, (Eastern tree canopy) and I'm not doing any technical rock climbing or hiking, just basic camp chores, or sitting with a few drinks BSing with friends. I like to get my eyes into night vision mode and keep them there, that means using the lowest lumen levels when I can to preserve night vision and batteries. 1) the damn BD always comes on in high forcing you to wait the 2-3 seconds to ramp it down to low, and high kills your night vision in the process; 2) the BD's 10 lumen low is not low enough, wasting batts and night vision at the same time, and I've been know to stealth camp from time to time - it gives away my position too easily.
    - My Quark @ 4 lumens with the 180-degree bounce card diffuser feels about the same illumination as the BD throwing 10 lumens 360-degrees, but obviously illuminating half the area of the BD (refer to first point). Their runtimes are the *arguably* the same - a regulated 48 hr or unregulated 60hrs. But we're talking 1xAA vs 4xAA. If I take a second battery, I'm certain the Quark will crush the BD at it's low, which I use the most... were not even talking about the 300 hr moonlight option on the Quark. If solo camping, I'll do a lot of reading with moonlight. Moonlight is effectively free light for me, I use it as long as I want without that mental clock tallying how much battery I've used.
    - Plastic vs metal - there're several broken plastic headlamps in the above pix.
    - Lastly, and most obviously, the size and weight. I have my Quark lantern available on my person 24/7. I'm also into ultra-light camping.... no comparison here.

The BD is OK for RV camping however... when I know I can charge batteries when I want. But even then, I'll still use the Quark as I always seem to have 2 or 3 AAs charged and ready to go... not 8 or 12 .
    Last edited by reppans; 02-22-2012 at 08:58 AM.

Flashaholic*

reppans, thanks for that useful info. I can see why it wasn't well suited for your particular application, but my usage is almost the opposite of yours so I think it will be OK for me.

I'll be using mine for RV camping when I want to illuminate a general area for a number of people (usually where there is already a fair amount of light). I have a ZL H501 (and several other lights) for when I want light just for me. Space and weight and multiple spare batteries (eneloops of course) are not an issue (I have a long wheelbase VW Transporter van set up as a basic camper). I definitely agree about preferring lights that start on Lo first, then ramp up to Hi if required - much kinder to dark adapted eyes.
    WTB Any Brand locking pliers multitool, Kershaw Bit Kit, leather sheath