Best AA-powered flashlight?

Tu13es

Newly Enlightened
I'm looking for my first 'real' flashlight. I've got tons of Eneloops so I'm only interested in AA-powered flashlights. I'm fine with something bigger (e.g. 4xAA+) if it gives me more output. Bonus points for a good warranty.

(I've done some searching but most AA-related threads are concerned with 1xAA or 2xAA or have a budget of <$50.)

The best I've found so far seem to be:

Jetbeam PA40W
Sunwayman M40
Fenix TK41 (TK45?)

What else should I consider?

tam17

Enlightened
In a 4xAA category, one vote for PA40W. Minor drawback being that it can't tailstand

Cheers,

Tam

Faynard

Newly Enlightened
Look at the AA Zebralights! SC51 is what I have, there are also warm and high cri versions and the older but only slightly different SC50. My favorite light in my collection. A little thick, but it is as bright on 1 eneloop as many 2xAA lights out there.

Sent from my HTC Sensation 4G using Tapatalk

Tu13es

Newly Enlightened
Look at the AA Zebralights! SC51 is what I have, there are also warm and high cri versions and the older but only slightly different SC50. My favorite light in my collection. A little thick, but it is as bright on 1 eneloop as many 2xAA lights out there.

The SC51 is a fantastic looking light and I was considering one for a while. However, I have an iTP A3 that I carry on my keychain so I don't really need something EDC-able. I'd rather something with a bit more output and runtime, hence looking at 4xAA and above lights.

Animalmother

Newly Enlightened
I had both, the S65 and PA40 with SMO. I liked them both. Wish the PA40 had the S65 output. The S65 had 200 more lumens according to selfbuilts test. It is noticibly brighter but the PA40 in my opnion is much higher quality overall.

I sold the PA40 even though i think it was a better light. I only kept the S65 for more output. I sold all but 1 of 2AA lights the 4AA filled the bill and some. At the price of the olight just get a tk41 but its much bigger.

Last edited:

atxlight

Newly Enlightened
I'm looking for my first 'real' flashlight. I've got tons of Eneloops so I'm only interested in AA-powered flashlights. I'm fine with something bigger (e.g. 4xAA+) if it gives me more output. Bonus points for a good warranty.

(I've done some searching but most AA-related threads are concerned with 1xAA or 2xAA or have a budget of <$50.)

The best I've found so far seem to be:

Jetbeam PA40W
Sunwayman M40
Fenix TK41 (TK45?)

What else should I consider?

What's your definition of a "real" flashlight? Are you looking for the brightest AA you can find regardless or size? A tactical light? EDC? Something else?

Tu13es

Newly Enlightened
What's your definition of a "real" flashlight? Are you looking for the brightest AA you can find regardless or size? A tactical light? EDC? Something else?

I don't have any particular use cases in mind; mostly for use around the house. Right now the only flashlights I own are a ~10yo Minimag AA (lol) and iTP A3. Mostly looking for something to keep around the house that's a bit more powerful than my A3. Since I don't really need something portable I figured I'd look into something that has a bit better output. Then again, I don't exactly _need_ something crazy powerful either, so maybe this is all moot. :p

The S35/S65 are pretty interesting, but I think I like the size/output/price/warranty of the PA40W comparatively. Still leaning that way but keeping my eyes and ears open for other options!

atxlight

Newly Enlightened
I don't have any particular use cases in mind; mostly for use around the house. Right now the only flashlights I own are a ~10yo Minimag AA (lol) and iTP A3. Mostly looking for something to keep around the house that's a bit more powerful than my A3. Since I don't really need something portable I figured I'd look into something that has a bit better output. Then again, I don't exactly _need_ something crazy powerful either, so maybe this is all moot. :p

The S35/S65 are pretty interesting, but I think I like the size/output/price/warranty of the PA40W comparatively. Still leaning that way but keeping my eyes and ears open for other options!

My suggestion would be to keep it well under 200 lumen for around the house. My most powerful light is a Fenix TK15 and on Turbo (337 Lumen) it's WAY to powerful to use indoors for anything other than blinding an intruder (or myself in any other instance). It just totally kills your night vision. It's also too bright on that setting to use in my neighborhood (say for walking the dog), without pissing neighbors off, or again, blowing out your night vision. I've considered getting something brighter at times, but the uses become so limited I would rarely use them (spotlighting animals at night, tactical use, or pure novelty).

What I've found in the short time I've picked up this flashlight addiction is that I use the lowest settings around the house more than any others.

I can't comment on some of the other lights mentioned here, but I do have a lot of time spent with Fenix. I think there is a reason you see so much traffic about 1xAA and 2xAA on this forum. I have an LD10 (1xAA) that has become my go-to for around the house at night or early in the morning. While it maxes out around 100 lumen, I find that plenty bright for almost anything around the house. I have several much brighter lights and find I only use those outdoors. The next (AA) step up for me is my LD20 (2xAA) and the 180 lumen turbo on that is enough to light up any part of my very large back yard at night.

In fact, I just ordered my first Quark, the 1xAA Regular (R5) because of the moonlight mode that none of my other lights have. So while bright is great in some instances...it's not always what you need...

Not sure if I'm helping here, but that's what I've found via personal experience.

22hornet

Enlightened
Hello,
I have several AA flashlights (since 2006) and the ones i would recommend the most are:
- Fenix l2d - ld20
- surefire e2laa

As a third choice i would mention the discontinued Fenix tk20.

I honestly think that these are the best choices in AA lights.
(i prefered the form factor and holster of the l2d over the ld20)

Kind regards,
Joris

Tu13es

Newly Enlightened
Hmm, I was considering the Quark X AA2 Neutral, but then ruled it out in favor of something like the PA40.

Do others agree that going above say 300 lumens becomes not so useful as someone above does?

eh4

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you're looking for a light that gives you Excellent quality Functional lighting within 30 feet then consider Zebralight H51Fc.
If you want one light to do it all then you probably won't want a floody beam (the F in H51Fc), but for everything within reach or within a standard room (30+ feet) it is a fantastic light.

And you've got to bump your 50$ budget by 15$ or so for Zebralight but it's well worth it in my experience.
I'm currently impoverished (for the moment) by investing in good, efficient, personal illumination, but it's much cheaper to read a bunch and get tools that serve you really well instead of an endless series of half measures.
-wasn't even going to get into the Malkoff thing, but when you can justify it to yourself, look into the M31 line and the AA Little Twisty or Solarforce host options.

Last edited:

T-roc87

Newly Enlightened
I have a fenix l2d which is a 2xaa that puts out 180 lumens and doesnt compare to my 600 lumen xlm m40a as far as throw and light out put. The higher powered lights do have lower settings. I had a fenix tk40 as well and sold it to buy the m40a. I really like the 4x aa battery configuration as well as the fact that it doesnt have the battery rattle that the the fenix tk40 had. The m40a is a great light and built like a tank. All of my non-flasholic freinds were impressed that so much light came out of such a tiny light.

BullsEyeLantern

Newly Enlightened
I bought my dad a M40a. It was cheaper than a TK41, but plenty powerful enough. He had been used to the incandescents so this was quite a light for him. I like it was well and I will be picking one up too( it's 6th on my to-get queue )
Solid, nice UI, and very bright for 4 AAs.

Tu13es

Newly Enlightened
Okay, I'm torn between a Jetbeam PA40W and Quark X AA2 Neutral. I like everything about the Quark better, but the PA40W is noticably more powerful (468 lumens vs 280 lumens).

Any thoughts in those output differences? Will the PA40W really be _too bright_?

(All I've worked with for lights so far is my iTP A3 which tops out around 90 lumens, and an LD25 which is about 180)