PK Design Lab
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Surefire L1 still relevant?

Default Re: Surefire L1 still relevant?

I put a WTB on the MP and got one from a member for 100. Its wonderful. Especially paired up with an F05 and tail standing shroud. Here are some beams comparing the CR123/AWRCR and my Rotary on burst (200 lumens.)

A little out of focus here but still..

All shot in Manual Mode on a Sony Nex-5N
    Auto WB
    ISO 100
    f/3.5

L1 Low SF CR123

L1 Low AWRCR123

L1 High CR123

L1 High AWRCR123

HDS EDC-R1S-200 (Rotary) On Burst Mode

Flashaholic*

Keep an eye out at B&Ms. I bought one late last year from a B&M for well under a hundred because it was discontinued. (!!!) Pricing is all in the eyes of the beholder.
    MD3 | M6CB | Gladius/SSCP4 | A2-HA-WH | A2-HA-YG | A2-BK-WH | Z3/KT2 | M2 | C2 | 6Z | 6P | U2A | K2MS | E2e/KL4 BK | E2DL | E2D | E2L | L2 | Milky ML1/SSCP4 USWOH McR18j | L1-BK-RD | L1-HA-WH | L1-HA-WH Cree | L1-HA-RD | 3P | E1B | E1L | E1E-HA-BK | E1W | 618FA | G2

Glad ya got it Tommygun and thanks for posting the pics!

One of the best Surefires made!!

Are you putting one in every room of the house?

Quote Originally Posted by LE6920 View Post
    One of the best Surefires made!!

Quote Originally Posted by Tommygun45 View Post
    Are you putting one in every room of the house?
    My favorite all around carry light and they were made in several versions and colors!

how many colors did they make it in?
    aka Edgar Allan Bro, Brosama Bin Liftin, Walter Crunkite, Bro Namath, Teddy Brosevelt, and the Tomahawk Crunkmissile.
    my lights - review of PrecisionWorks - that's Gucci Mane in my avatar

Quote Originally Posted by tobrien View Post
    how many colors did they make it in?
    Red, Blue, Green, and white were the stock colors. I think I've seen a special amber one one-time....

Quote Originally Posted by angelofwar View Post
    Red, Blue, Green, and white were the stock colors. I think I've seen a special amber one one-time....
    thanks! i wanna buy white, green, and red ones one day haha.

do they all go for about the same price when people sell them? regardless of color, that is
    aka Edgar Allan Bro, Brosama Bin Liftin, Walter Crunkite, Bro Namath, Teddy Brosevelt, and the Tomahawk Crunkmissile.

A red one went for 125 last week and a blue one just went for 99.

Also a few months back someone sold a 5 pc set for somewhere around 650 or something? I forget but it was beautiful. All were 4 flats. I dont get it honestly. Why did Surefire change to rounded edges. Im relatively new to the game, around 2 years, but the 4 flats versions of the A2s and L1s are just incredible. Maybe their limited nature increases their allure, thus the brand allue. I dont know.
    Last edited by Tommygun45; 03-03-2012 at 06:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tommygun45 View Post
    A red one went for 125 last week and a blue one just went for 99.

Also a few months back someone sold a 5 pc set for somewhere around 650 or something? I forget but it was beautiful. All were 4 flats. I dont get it honestly. Why did Surefire change to rounded edges. Im relatively new to the game, around 2 years, but the 4 flats versions of the A2s and L1s are just incredible. Maybe their limited nature increases their allure, thus the brand allue. I dont know.
    thank you for the info!

and as to the flats vs. non, i think you're probably right with the reasons you're proposing.

Quote Originally Posted by tobrien View Post
    thank you for the info!

and as to the flats vs. non, i think you're probably right with the reasons you're proposing.
    Yep...four flats rock!!! Funny though, cause I prefer the three flats C-Series...LOL!

Flashaholic*

I have a very low s/n four-flats HA-BK red. That is an uncommon L1.
    MD3 | M6CB | Gladius/SSCP4 | A2-HA-WH | A2-HA-YG | A2-BK-WH | Z3/KT2 | M2 | C2 | 6Z | 6P | U2A | K2MS | E2e/KL4 BK | E2DL | E2D | E2L | L2 | Milky ML1/SSCP4 USWOH McR18j | L1-BK-RD | L1-HA-WH | L1-HA-WH Cree | L1-HA-RD | 3P | E1B | E1L | E1E-HA-BK | E1W | 618FA | G2

Hey scout, you haven't by chance been back to home depot lately have you (to see what the part number was for those o-rings you doubled up in the lanyard ring groove)?

Another OT- If it's true that SF is going to make A clickY tailcap for their lx2U, it will fit L1 right? Hopefully the replacement delrin shrouds & o-ring trick swap still work on it (& they sell it separately).

Flashaholic*

Here's an old pic or two from an eaaaarly digital camera

Quote Originally Posted by JNewell View Post
    Here's an old pic or two from an eaaaarly digital camera

Wow Jnewell!!! Simply awesome! I wish they still made them in bk-ha...I wish they made more lights in it actually...I miss my C2-BK-HA every day...but that L1-HA-BK is SEXY!
    Last edited by angelofwar; 03-14-2012 at 12:53 AM.

I have two SF L1s that appear to be fifth generation. The red one is reasonably bright, the white one borders on dim; probably half the light output. What gives? I like the UI of these lights. But the white is vastly underpowered...all of my 2-AA lights blow it away. Haven't tried RCR123A yet but it can't be that much better when starting from so low. Where can I send this for an LED upgrade and what is the approximate cost? Not convinced there's any reason to have a bright red LED so perhaps the best option is to make it a bright white too.<br><br>Was originally planning to sell these off on ebay to pay for new lights. But have discovered that none of the recent acquisitions have nearly as good a UI...too much gimmickry and/or learning curve or just too basic. Seems like the L1 has the feature-set and KISS thing dialed. So I'm willing to upgrade if cost is reasonable.

Alpnlight,
    You might want to contact CPF member Milkyspit. He has made a reputation for himself modding L1 lights. I had him mod the 2 L1s I got after they were discontinued. In both cases he removed the optic, and added a reflector, and upgraded the emitter to a high CRI XP-G. The previous beam pattern just doesn't even compare to what these look like now. He could also leave the circuitry stock, or make it brighter for you. He can do just about anything you want. He is busy and it can take some effort to get ahold of him, but it was worth it. It would be best to discuss pricing with him directly.

Flashaholic

I would sell the red one on ebay, and modify the white.

I recently got a L1 last version (shorter, with the Cree emitter), and it has been my favorite EDC light. I personally prefer smaller lights for EDC, but there is something captivating in the L1 that makes me EDC it daily these days. I think the reflector design is hypnotic, and it stares right into my eyes from my pocket. :-D
    my lights.

I wouldn't want to destroy a perfectly good L1. The easiest mod is to just get a VME head and drop-in of your choice. Instand mod to whatever you desire.

I use one of my L1's almost daily - it's in the center console of my car. Great ergonomics as always.
    In the past we have had a light which flickered, in the present we have a light which flames, and in the future there will be a light which shines over all the land and sea.
    - Winston Churchill

The L1 is great light. At the moment, I have my L1 head on an E2O body running an AW 17670. It's a little throw monster.
    If we could get everyone in the world to close their eyes and imagine world peace for an hour, think about how serene it would be until the looting started. -Unknown

I recently got a lux meter and tested my L1 Cree (upgraded to R2-WH) at 7200lux on an RCR123 and 10,100 lux direct drive on a 17500. It should be higher on a quality 17670.
    Last edited by Blindasabat; 03-15-2012 at 10:14 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Brasso View Post
    The easiest mod is to just get a VME head and drop-in of your choice. Instand mod to whatever you desire.
    Does the VME head accept other drop-ins than the M-31? If not, that adds up to about $110 per light. Perhaps I'll just try the stock head with a higher voltage rechargeable after all. If I do upgrade the L1, does that still give the tight beam without the excess spill that seems so common now?

It takes any Malkoff drop in.

Quote Originally Posted by Alpnlight View Post
    Does the VME head accept other drop-ins than the M-31? If not, that adds up to about $110 per light. Perhaps I'll just try the stock head with a higher voltage rechargeable after all. If I do upgrade the L1, does that still give the tight beam without the excess spill that seems so common now?
    If your L1's are both 5th gen, then I would avoid the RCR route, as it will essentially destroy them. You can EASILY sale both of them on the marketplace (www.cpfmarketplace.com) for $100-$125, and get a 6th gen, and have some money to candy your 6th gen up. Both of your old L1's are still highly sought after, if only for the excessive runtime. I got ~3,000 hours on my L1-Red on low during a runtime test.

I can attest to the glory of the L1. One of my users is on a E2 body, and its a barn burner!

I have another one in the box I wouldnt mind selling..

I'd love to find a used L1 red, the L1 and E1e will always be relevant. Especially to those that prefer reliability over the firecrackers ( I only got over last year ) bright is fun but if it melts after 10 min it's useless
    I'm glad I found CPF, I was beginning to think I was strange
    I'm a Canadian and a proud Flashaholic
    Thanks CPF, thanks Think2x

I've had one for several years and it has NEVER let me down.