Battery Junction - Olight
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Surefire L1 still relevant?

Default Re: Surefire L1 still relevant?

ive been on a L1 frenzy this month, and i dont think im done yet.

Flashaholic

Ive noticed that gen 1/2/3 l1's seem to attract a higher price than the newer ones. What is with that? Is it purely a collector thing? A modding thing? Or is there something about them that makes them awesome?

Have you tried that? It is generally not a good idea to have two drivers in series, so direct drive P60 drop-ins would be fine, but ones with drivers may not cooperate and could drive one or both of the drivers to overload or overheat as they compete with each other to modify the voltage and amps. Surefire makes it so you can not put an E series KL or KX head on an L1 for that reason. The threads are compatible, but the ID of the L1 interferes with the ID of KL and KX heads.
    Quote Originally Posted by Brasso View Post
    I wouldn't want to destroy a perfectly good L1. The easiest mod is to just get a VME head and drop-in of your choice. Instand mod to whatever you desire.
    I have heard it work before, but it takes a brave soldier to risk their hardware to find out. I have two Milky bored (and stroked I call it - with the driver removed) L1's for that reason, to use L1 bodies and switches with DD L1 heads and any other E compatible heads with drivers in them.
    Last edited by Blindasabat; 03-29-2012 at 09:23 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by FPSRelic View Post
    Ive noticed that gen 1/2/3 l1's seem to attract a higher price than the newer ones. What is with that? Is it purely a collector thing? A modding thing? Or is there something about them that makes them awesome?
    Well, (sort of) all of the above ....

The older versions had the "four-flats" battery tube that many think looks more stylish, and the very first models also had a different bezel, too.

The first generation(s) are also less common, for collectors.

The early LED & drivers had significantly lower output, but *extreme* runtimes ( > thousands of hours), compared with the newer models.
    Last edited by archimedes; 03-29-2012 at 09:59 AM.
    IF 2 = 1 THEN 1 = 0

Just last week, something that doesn't happen all that often anymore with the older L1's ...

In the past we have had a light which flickered, in the present we have a light which flames, and in the future there will be a light which shines over all the land and sea.
    - Winston Churchill

what color, Kestrel?
    aka Edgar Allan Bro, Brosama Bin Liftin, Walter Crunkite, Bro Namath, Teddy Brosevelt, and the Tomahawk Crunkmissile.
    my lights - review of PrecisionWorks - that's Gucci Mane in my avatar

Sorry, this one is just a 'white', otherwise I'd happily trade/sell off a colored head to you afficionados. I'm just finally getting around to looking into 17670-boring for this perfect-length Gen5 body. I have a few Gen6's which are happy with 1xCR123 or 1xIMR123, but the sheer capacity potential for these slightly longer bodies is just too tempting.

Edit: I tell ya, the knurling on these is just incredible - the grippiest flashlight body I've ever owned.
    In the past we have had a light which flickered, in the present we have a light which flames, and in the future there will be a light which shines over all the land and sea.
    - Winston Churchill

Flashaholic

Is the clip on your L1 the one that it shipped with Kestrel? It looks longer than the one on the gen5 red I got off the mp.

Kestrel,
    I have a gen3 and gen5, both modded by Milky. They are such better lights now. I didn't realize that any of the L1s were long enough to be bored for 17670 cells. After using RCR123a cells & 18650 cells for a long time, and resisting buying 17670 cells, I'm starting to break down and buy a few, and will probably eventually get more. There's just no end to buying 'more accessories'.

1) Is the gen3 long enough to take a 17670, as well?

2) There is the 'electronics stuff' in the muzzle end of the L1 tube. Would you be kind enough to recommend someone/some people you think would do a good job of removing the electronics in the tube, boring, and then replacing it?

Thank you!

Milky can probably do it. i remember him mentioning that the electronics of the battery tube would be moved into the bezel. this is what he told me when i asked him about converting an L1 for AA batteries.

Is the clip on your L1 the one that it shipped with Kestrel? It looks longer than the one on the gen5 red I got off the mp.
    About half of the way through the Gen5 production run, SF changed from the long clip to the short clip, perhaps because the longer clips may have been more prone to breakage. (Not an issue for me as I'm pretty gentle with my lights.) AFAIK, SF supplied the shorter clips as replacements in this situation. I actually like the longer clips, they are actually usable unlike the shorter E1e clips which I detest. SF did a great thing with the new 2-way clip design & I wish I could purchase some.

Quote Originally Posted by novice View Post
    Kestrel,
    I have a gen3 and gen5, both modded by Milky. They are such better lights now. I didn't realize that any of the L1s were long enough to be bored for 17670 cells. After using RCR123a cells & 18650 cells for a long time, and resisting buying 17670 cells, I'm starting to break down and buy a few, and will probably eventually get more. There's just no end to buying 'more accessories'.

2) There is the 'electronics stuff' in the muzzle end of the L1 tube. Would you be kind enough to recommend someone/some people you think would do a good job of removing the electronics in the tube, boring, and then replacing it?
    I handled a Gen3 once and I'm not sure if they'd be long enough, someone would have to do the measurements to make sure. Removing the driver module from the flashlight body isn't such a big deal if you have a dental pick or something similar, check out this (rather mortibund) thread I'm doing on my SureFire L2, I have lots of detailed pics showing a comparable disassembly there. (Just please don't bump it until I have another update to supply for it, lol. ) FYI, the driver module of the Gen5 L1 is the exact same length as the L2 driver module I photographed in that thread. I'm certain that the driver module in the Gen6 L1 is shorter, I'm not sure about the driver modules in the L1's prior to Gen4.

Regarding replacing the electronics, the usual solution is to remove the heatsink from the 'dumb' L1 head, add a new driver to a custom-built heatsink and install the new assembly in the L1 head, freeing up more room in the body for the cell. It's a lot of work to gain just a little room (i.e. going from 1xCR123/1xIMR123 to 1x17500 in a Gen6), but with these particular bodies, 2xCR123/1x17670 is possible, making it a whole different game entirely.

I would be happy to post more pics when I have some progress to report on this L1.
    Last edited by Kestrel; 03-30-2012 at 10:07 AM.
    - Winston Churchill

Quote Originally Posted by Kestrel View Post
    Sorry, this one is just a 'white', otherwise I'd happily trade/sell off a colored head to you afficionados. I'm just finally getting around to looking into 17670-boring for this perfect-length Gen5 body. I have a few Gen6's which are happy with 1xCR123 or 1xIMR123, but the sheer capacity potential for these slightly longer bodies is just too tempting.

Edit: I tell ya, the knurling on these is just incredible - the grippiest flashlight body I've ever owned.
    very nice! i'll soon have one of each light. i'm away from home though so i can't wait to get back to the fedex boxes. if theyre half as good as yall say i'll love the you-know-what out of them
    aka Edgar Allan Bro, Brosama Bin Liftin, Walter Crunkite, Bro Namath, Teddy Brosevelt, and the Tomahawk Crunkmissile.

Milky did two gen1 & 2 bodies that I have.
    One I had him bore out for me to fit a 17500 with a spacer. The second I bought already modified and it fit 2xCR123 with a 1st gen KL1 bezel modified to lower the contact by about 1mm.
    I saw a thread some time ago - somebody (Maxsatilus?) had Milky mod a gen6 to fit 17500 by lowering the bezel contact by about 1mm as well.
    So according to all I have seen, call Milkyspit.

Last edited by Blindasabat; 03-30-2012 at 02:03 PM. Reason: verbiage

I still carry my L1 quite often...

I love its big cree "splotch" of a hotspot - much bigger than my E1B or E1L. Its like a glob of french vanilla tinted goodness.
    ...as for me, when you want a good laugh, you will find me, in a fine state, fat and flourishing, a true hog of Epicurus' herd...
    Running Collection List
    HERE

Flashaholic*

Nice work, Kestrel! I have one of those still unopened as a backup. I talked a local B&M out of it for two digits because it was discontinued. After all, I told them, you don't want old stock on your rack!

Quote Originally Posted by Kestrel View Post
    Just last week, something that doesn't happen all that often anymore with the older L1's ...

MD3 | M6CB | Gladius/SSCP4 | A2-HA-WH | A2-HA-YG | A2-BK-WH | Z3/KT2 | M2 | C2 | 6Z | 6P | U2A | K2MS | E2e/KL4 BK | E2DL | E2D | E2L | L2 | Milky ML1/SSCP4 USWOH McR18j | L1-BK-RD | L1-HA-WH | L1-HA-WH Cree | L1-HA-RD | 3P | E1B | E1L | E1E-HA-BK | E1W | 618FA | G2

Quote Originally Posted by skyfire View Post
    ive been on a L1 frenzy this month, and i dont think im done yet.

Nice lights Sky! How are the green one's in day-to-day use?

green? thats funny, cause when i bought the gen1, its description mentioned "green". but when i got it, its cool white, with a sight purplish hotspot. either way, i was extremely pleased when i received it.
    the gen1 i carry most, it feels outstanding in the hand. best ergonomics of any light ive ever held.
    during daylight hours, i carry the 6th gen more for its med/high modes.
    and during nightfall, i carry the 1st gen more, for its low/med modes. i love the beam on the gen 1, it has a smooth floody beam.
    im also a high CRI junky, and prefer warm tints, but the L1 is such a great EDC, i can live with the cool tints.... for now .
    these are the only multiplies i have of any one model of lights, and the lego has been fun, and knowing i have spare parts for my favorite EDCs is nice.

I love my L1, though its seen a good bit less pocket time than my e1b as of late. I prefer the smaller form factor and smoother body of the e1b, and for everyday use the clicky suites me better. However the two stage momentary button of the L1 is excellent for a tactical light. Still has the benefit of low output, with high mode always immediately and predictably at the ready... Its the light I now grab for 'things that go bump in the night'

JUST GOT MY FIRST L1!!!

so: what gen is it? is this gen safe to run on 16340s?

pics:

this isn't the 4 flats it looks like because I only see three flattened surfaces for the clip and the lettering sides

My guess would be Gen5....
    IF 2 = 1 THEN 1 = 0

Quote Originally Posted by archimedes View Post
    My guess would be Gen5....
    thanks! I was just about to PM you on the MP haha

edit: so is it okay to run on 4.2v RCR 123s?

"so: what gen is it? is this gen safe to run on 16340s?"

tobrien,
    The only round-bodied L1s were the gen5, and the last version, the gen6. I have a gen5, but no gen6, and it looks to me like a gen5. I actually prefer the longer runtimes on the gen5, to the gen6. The date of your brochure would also seem to suggest a gen5.

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/...e-L1-Evolution
    [see post#10 for a brief overview of the different generations of the L1]

I do not want to tell you with certainty that it will take a 3.7 volt rechargeable, but Milky modded mine, and I had him leave the circuitry stock, and his label says that mine can be used with 3.7 volts, although that might be because I had him upgrade the emitter to a high-CRI XP-G
    Last edited by novice; 04-02-2012 at 05:09 PM.

I wouldn't try a LiIon in that one, the driver might take it but I'm thinking that the LED might not.
    The thing is that those weren't all that bright anyway, not like the Gen 6's, so even if it didn't fry, it still wouldn't be competitive.
    The strength of those Gen 5's were the focused aspheric beam and the looooong runtimes ...

[...] Milky modded mine, and I had him leave the circuitry stock, and his label says that mine can be used with 3.7 volts, although that might be because I had him upgrade the emitter to a high-CRI XP-G
    Yep, your XP-G will take far far more current than the Lux III's in the stock Gen 5's. I'm interested in your post though as this a good data point for the older drivers taking a LiIon.

Edit: Here's my L1 driver module from the Gen 5 L1 I posted in this thread previously. Glad to know it can do 1xLiIon voltage input, not sure what I'll be using this for but sounds like it could still be useful.

Last edited by Kestrel; 04-02-2012 at 05:38 PM. Reason: Added pic of driver
    - Winston Churchill

I just bought my first Surefire L1 can't wait until it arrives, sounds like a great little light.

Flashaholic

Well, you people have done it. I've had to go and get some of the older models just to see whta all the fuss is about. I've already got a nice red gen5 on the way, and now a white one. This is to go with the 2 gen 6's I have (one brand new as a backup to my user). Now I won't be happy until I have a gen1/2/3 to see what the fuss is with those. And I'll need a blue and green gen 5 to go with the red.. ARGH!

Well, you people have done it. I've had to go and get some of the older models just to see whta all the fuss is about. I've already got a nice red gen5 on the way, and now a white one. This is to go with the 2 gen 6's I have (one brand new as a backup to my user). Now I won't be happy until I have a gen1/2/3 to see what the fuss is with those. And I'll need a blue and green gen 5 to go with the red.. ARGH!
    ... and we've hardly even discussed milky's ML-1's (the FloodMaster, the eXtreme, etc, etc) yet ... -
    Last edited by archimedes; 04-04-2012 at 07:12 AM.
    IF 2 = 1 THEN 1 = 0

Flashaholic

Quote Originally Posted by archimedes View Post
    ... and we've hardly even discussed milky's ML-1's (the FloodMaster, the eXtreme, etc, etc) yet ... -
    I've been tempted I must say. There was a MOAL that went on sale here recently I almost pulled the trigger on, but I'm actually a throw kind of guy over flood, so I really like the XR-E emitter. I was under the impression that Milky's lights were mostly walls of light?

Are there any aftermarket adaptors that allow the L1 to tail stand? If so, what's the best way to remove the leash ring? The Olight diffuser fits on the front perfectly BTW.

Quote Originally Posted by Alpnlight View Post
    Are there any aftermarket adaptors that allow the L1 to tail stand? If so, what's the best way to remove the leash ring? The Olight diffuser fits on the front perfectly BTW.
    http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/...d.php?t=229577

Another run of these may be coming soon ?
    IF 2 = 1 THEN 1 = 0

Those were for E series. The L1 is a different size. But if delrin is OK with yoiu, JS Burleys has tail standing shrouds for E series and A/L series.