Need 2 Lights

rawdawg

Newly Enlightened
I posted this on anther section before I knew this one was here....

I have been a surefire buyer since I started in law enforcement. I decided it was time to change my lights and started looking at the latest lines from SF. I was wanting an everyday light and a tactical light to replace my 9N and 10X.

After reading the many threads and comparing the infinitesimal number of lights, I have decided SF is a little behind the curve and is over priced compared to other comparable lights. If I'm misinformed about this, please tell me.

So.....

I want a two new lights. One needs to be an everyday light that I can wear on my rig. The second needs to be a high output light that I can use for open area searches and tactical advantage.

I'm leaning towards the Fenix PD32 and TK35 to fill those needs (rechargeable is nice, but not a deal killer). I'm open to suggestions if anyone wants to pipe in, I'm just not familiar enough with these other brands to make an educated decision.

Thanks in advance to all who post, the information is greatly appreciated.

1) How would you prefer to purchase the light?

____I would like to purchase the light from a brick and mortar store. I am located in ______________.
___x_I will be mail-ordering or buying online, so this doesn't matter.

2) Budget: An easy question, but you may change your mind after answering the rest! :)

____Less than $25.
____Less than $50.
____Less than $100.
____Less than $150.
____Less than $300.
___x_I have no limit.
____I'm flexible, tell me what you got.
____Other, please specify ________

3) Format:

___x_I want a flashlight.
____I want a headlamp.
____I want a lantern.
____I want a dive light.
____I want a portable spotlight.

4) Flashlight-specific format/size:

____Keychain size.
____Every day carry small (2-4 inches).
____Every day carry medium (4-7 inches).
____Holster carry.
____Big enough to need its own travel caseJ.
____I don't care.
____I don't know.
____N/A

5) Emitter/Light source:

___x_LED (known for efficiency, longevity, and compactness)
____Incandescent (known for superior color rendition)
____HID (known for max output, but often at the expense of size)
____I don't know.

6) Manufacturer:

__x__I want to buy a light from a traditional mass producing manufacturer that is ready to go out of the box.
____I would consider getting a light that is pieced together (for example a "host" or flashlight body from one manufacturer, and a "drop-in" emitter from another source). Under the right circumstances, this path can provide more options to the consumer to meet specific needs, and can often be easily upgradeable as technology improves.

7) What battery type do you want to use?

____I intend to use alkaline batteries (AAA, AA, C, D) (disclaimer, while it does not preclude all choices, these are not recommended for many of today's most powerful lights)
____I intend to use rechargeable nickel chemistry (NiCad, NiMH, NiZn)
__x__I intend to use lithium primary batteries (CR123, CR2, Energizer Advanced/Ultimate Lithium AA/AAA)
__x__I intend to use rechargeable lithium (li-ion) chemistry. Feel free to specify a size if you know which size you want (14500, RCR123/16340, 17500, 17670, 18650, etc.)
____I want a light with an integrated rechargeable battery. (Note: these choices may be very limited unless you are looking at spotlights)

8) How much genuine out the front (OTF) light do you want/need? Sometimes you can have too much light (trying to read up close up with a 100 lumen light is impossible).

____I want to navigate a dark room or read a map (0-10 lumens).
____I want to walk around an unlit rural area (50-150 lumens).
____I want to illuminate my entire backyard or a campsite (150-300 lumens).
__x__I want to illuminate an entire field, the neighbor's front yard several houses down, impress my friends and neighbors, etc. (300-700 lumens).
__x__I want ridiculous amounts of lumens (800+ lumens).

9) Throw vs. Flood: At what distance will you be most likely to use this light? Select all that apply.

____Less than 1 yard/meter (reading, other close work)
____Less than 5 yards/meters (looking for something inside a dark shed/garage/basement)
__x__5-20 yards/meters (check out a noise in the backyard)
____30-50 yards/meters (I have a big backyard)
____50-150 yards/meters (I live in a very rural area/farm with wide open spaces)
__x__150+ yards (I want maximum throw possible)

10) Runtime: Not over-inflated manufacturer runtime claims, but usable brightness measured from first activation to 50% with new batteries (Measured on maximum output).

____Up to 30 minutes (I want the brightest [and potentially smallest] light for brief periods)
__x__30-60 minutes (I have plenty of batteries just ready to be changed)
__x__90-120 minutes (Runtime is moderately important, but still not critical)
____3 hours + (I critically need this light to run on max for extended periods in between battery changes/charges).

11) Durability/Usage: Generally the old phrase "you get what you pay for" is very accurate for flashlights.

____Not Important (A "night-stand" light).
____Slightly Important (Walks around the neighborhood).
____Very Important (Camping, Backpacking, Car Glove-box).
__x__Critical (Police, Fire, Search & Rescue, Caving, Survival).
____I don't care.
____I don't know.

12) Switch Type and location (choose all that apply):

____I want a forward clicky (Helpful for momentary activation and signaling).
____I want a reverse clicky (For use with multi-mode/level lights).
____I want a momentary switch (Predominantly for use with signaling and short bursts of momentary light only).
____I want a twisty switch (Tighten the head/tailcap to activate, and the light will stay on until the head/tailcap is loosened).
____I want a body mounted switch (near the head, like on a Maglite).
____I want a tail mounted switch (found on the majority of today's high end lights).
__x__I don't care.
____I don't know.
____Other, please specify____________________.

13) User Interface (UI) and mode selection. Select all that apply.

____A simple on-off with only one output level is fine for me.
__x__I want 2 light levels. (Brighter/short runtime and Dimmer/long runtime.)
____I want multiple light levels. (Some lights have 5-16 light levels.)
____I want a programmable light.
____I want a selector ring.
____I want a strobe mode. (Blinks to show location.)
____I want SOS mode.
____I want a beacon mode.
____I don't care.
____I don't know.

14)Material/Finish/Coating

____Plastic/composite body (this may limit your choices significantly).
__x__Anodized Aluminum – either type II or III (Hard Anodized) (Aluminum, specifically HA, is the most common material/finish for today's flashlights).
__x__Stainless steel (durable, but much heavier than aluminum)
__x__Titanium (durable and nearly as lightweight as aluminum, but can be moderately to significantly more expensive).
____I don't care.
____I don't know.
____Other, please specify____________.

15) Special Needs/extras: Is there anything else you want or need that hasn't been mentioned? Select any below.

____Red filter (for preserving night vision).
____Other filter colors (Amber, Green, Blue, _________).
____Dedicated R/G/B secondary LEDs.
____"Hybrid" light (bright incandescent combined with long running LEDs)
__x__Pocket/belt clip
__x__Holster
____Wrist/Neck Lanyard
____Crenulated bezel
____Non-sparking Intrinsically Safe (IS) for use in explosive environments

Jrubin

Newly Enlightened
Well your already familiar with surefire, I don't think i would change. Those lights are very durable. I think if you look at this thread for a start you will see that they are planning some very nice updates hopefully this year.

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?331063-SHOT-Show-2012-Surefire-New-Products

Also I would also look at this light on the surefire site

"The P2X Fury uses a high-efficiency, virtually failure-proof LED to deliver your choice of either 15 or 500 lumens of perfectly focused light, the latter qualifying the Fury as a pocket-sized searchlight. The 15-lumen level is excellent for general work at close-to-medium distances, and also lets you greatly extend the runtime per set of batteries, a valuable option when you're miles from civilization. At either setting the high-strength polymer micro-textured reflector delivers a smooth, comparatively wide beam with a brighter central area and generous peripheral light. The Fury is activated with a click-type tailcap switch: press for momentary-on low, press further to click constant-on low; return to off and press or click on again within two seconds for high. The high-strength aerospace aluminum body is smoothly sculpted for a comfortable, secure grip and is hard anodized to military specifications for extreme resistance to scratches, abrasion, and corrosion."

And for your secondary light maybe an E1B backup would fit the bill

"The Backup is an ultra compact dual-output flashlight developed as a duty light for plainclothes officers or as a backup light for patrol officers, but is also ideal for outdoor, self-defense, and everyday use. It features a virtually indestructible power-regulated LED emitter and a precision Total Internal Reflection (TIR) lens. The Backup's pushbutton tailcap switch lets you activate the flashlight and select an output level: press or click for an 110-lumen high beam—four times the light of a big two-D-cell flashlight, and more than enough to overwhelm an aggressor's night-adapted vision; release or click off and press or click again for a 5-lumen ultra long-runtime low beam that's perfect for reading a map, checking an ID, or navigating in the dark. The E1B Backup produces useful light levels for 37 hours. Smooth body styling minimizes pocket snag and pressure points when worn close to the body, and the two-way clip allows bezel-up or bezel-down carry. [NSN: 6230-01-575-0661]"

angelofwar

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yeah...if you're used to SF's, I wouldn't switch for the reasons you stated...

With that being said, you just need to buy them from the right place...Like new (or even moderately used) SF's can be had for 2/3rd the price or less from the MP (www.cpfmarketplace.com). And the difference between a moderately used and new SF is not much...

But, to get what you want, you may want to look into building one., but, let's start off stock.

There's an E2DL on the MP right now for $109. These are very nice pocket LEO lights...bright, compact, with tons of throw, Strike Bezels to double as a self defense weapon.
LX2's are another good pocket LEO light, and go for around $145 on the MP.
E1B "Backups" make good , well, back-up lights, and go for about $90.

All of these use TIR lens, and have very intense, tight beams, that are good for looking through tinted windows, etc. They all have a low setting for longer runtimes, but the E2DL/E1B come on high first, since they are designed as "tactical defense lights" and not "outdoors" lights. The LX2 has a low and high, and the high is easily accessible by just pushing the button all the way down, which would be human nature in a tense situation.

For a hip/search light (although the three I listed above all have excellent throw), you can get a M3LT for around $300. And then there's the new Fury.

If you don't want to "downgrade" in the construction quality you're used to, these newer additions make for excellent options that are more than capable of getting the job done. SF's get a "rap" for being out-dated, but, that's because instead of rushing the latest emitter to market, the make a point to 1) Not over-run the LED (extending the life pf the emitter). 2) Make a point to provide a nice balance of out-put/runtime...they could get more out of their lights, BUT, it would be at the cost of runtime. 3) Surefire Lumens are under-rated to begin with...Your new flashlight "X" with a lumen rating of 400, could easily be out-performed by a "200 lumen" Surefire. Yes, the "X" brands over-rate their lumens that bad...and, yes, people fall for it.

The 9N and 10x are outdated (but still nice). Grab one of the newer one's (start with 1...maybe the LX2 or E2DL) and see...and I'm sure you'll be looking for another newer SF not long after receiving it.

rawdawg

Newly Enlightened
I really don't want to wait and hope SF comes up with something better this year.

Decided on:

Thrunight NT11 and a DEFT-edc LR

Hopefully I have both this week.

Maybe SF can get my business back someday....