Purchase tips

Vagabond777

Newly Enlightened
Greets!
I've been reading for many hours but truth be told the information online for flashlights is getting overwhelming. So many years of reviews, releases, etc.

So after purchasing my Fenix LD20 a few years ago it went with me everywhere. Great light!
Sadly it was lost in all the usage, and I really hope someone is enjoying it today.
I'm looking to replace it, but realized long ago I need at least three lights to fill my needs.

I've got some good lamps in mind, but I'm not sure if there are better out there now in the same classes.
If anyone wants to offer suggestions for these, Id be really grateful!!
I'm happy doing research on them, just need a good starting list

EDC:
something like NiteCore D10
my main desires are single AAA battery and super small form factor for pocket carry (key chain)
it would be nice if it had a little omfff to it (60ish+ lumens), had a little throw for its size, and assuming the previous had a low level setting (I'm not going to be reading maps in Afghanistan, but something that wont blind you looking at the ground).

Tatical:
LD20 with x3 lumens??
must have tail switch with instant strobe, high power, solid construction.
it would be nice to have an AA light, as I have a ton of AA rechargeables.
anything other tactical features or options are nice

Thrower/Lamp:
Best beast I can get in the $150ish price range, I know these can get very expensive so please don't tease me.
General purpose outdoors, turn night into day kinda lamp.
The TK41 seems like a great choice, but I'm just not sold on it yet.

Thanks for any suggestions and putting up with my newbie post!! :wave:

joe1512

Enlightened
Note that EDC means every day carry and many will even use 2xAAs, 2xCR123s, and similar larger lights in their pocket. So we will use the term Keychain lights.

For those, things havent changed all that much to be honest. An XP-G is the usual latest emitter used, though a few XM-L oddballs exist (odd in that the emitter is really large so not much room for a reflector).
The illumina Ti is decent. Olights A3 is nice. The upcoming MBI Torpedo is really cool-sounding (google it). 4Sevens, Nitecore, Fenix all make keychain lights. All of these should have 3 light levels at least, and go up to 70+ lumens. Most will be twisties which I prefer. A smooth reflector will give the most throw as will an XP-E moreso, then an XP-G. An XM-L will be very floody.

Dont know about Tactical. Honestly I think it is a waste... 200 lumen strobe won't do anything to an attacker. Id more focus on a good usable general purpose light. A 2xAA will work fine and there are several choices. If you go to goinggear.com under flashlight and filter on 2xAA you can get an idea whats out there. In any case, tactical sounds a lot cooler than it really is. You aren't rambo. If breakin, call the cops, get your gun if you have one and dont use Strobe (which at night will disorient you too)

The TK41 is a nice light that uses 8xAAs which is perfect for you. Its one of the few big lights that uses normal batteries. This light will work just fine as both a high lumen light with decent throw as well as a general purpose light. So you could ditch the "tactical" one.

If you want true overkill, the TK70 on sale will be 180ish. Uses 4 D batteries (great if you have a smart universal charger), and spits out 3 times the light of the TK41 with extremely high THROW. Plus you can bash someone's brains in. Great walking light! (ive got one)

Last edited: