Surefire Beast Mk. I - Cleaning, & also Polarion PF-40/50 Question

BVH

Flashaholic
There's been a couple (at least) very recent threads here in the HID section naming the vendor, in Europe, I believe, who is still selling brand new PH50. I think I might have seen one yesterday and a price of 1799 - not sure if US Dollars or Euros. Sorry I don't remember which threads but some quick searches should bring it up quickly.

I'd guess that just about everyone here, including me, believe there is little if nothing to be gained by cleaning a high quality reflector because usually more damage is introduced than improvement realized. No matter what cloth or other material you use, it's going to leave scratches. Where the finger print was - now a finely scratched area is. Even a Q-tip with 91% Alcohol will leave some. If you want to try, I think plastic lens eyeglass cleaning cloths might be the best bet. I guess if the finger print is really really bad, then a finely scratched area might be the lesser of two evils. Good luck!

Francois1

Newly Enlightened
Is it forbidden to mention a commercial site name on these forums ? It seems to me that it happens regularly. Anyway, if you look at my messages, you will see this german vendors address. He gives a very good and quick service, I just received a ph50 from him.

Patriot

Flashaholic
BVH answered the sourcing issue so I'll touch on the other questions...

If you can find a PH/PF50 it nearly duplicates the output performance of the NR and in some ways exceeds it. The NR initially powers up to 55W+ but steps down to 40/45W after 5 minutes or so. The PH50 runs at 50W the whole time. I think that Ken and Polarion are working on an updated NR with improved features but there's no word yet on when this newest version will become available. I think that the IR filter is still the only filter available for the NR while the X, P, and Abyss series all use the same quick attach filter including an amber one.

The only factory handle for the NR is a backplate design that eliminates the battery and is designed to work with external power only. Member Vee73 fabricated his own aluminum / polymer handle for his NR which closely models the profile and ergonomics of the PH series lights. Pictures can be seen in the CSWL thread

BVH

Flashaholic
When the Polarions first came out, people that bought the handleless version were not very happy with them. It's a big light with a thick, round body where you hold it. Your hand will get tired, chances are.

dudemar

Flashlight Enthusiast
Cheers on all the replies thus far :)

For the cleaning bit - yeah, I'm going to use plastic lens cleaning cloth for the job. The fingerprint is pretty nasty... it's a gigantic thumb-sized oil mark bang in the middle of my reflector. Haven't quite figured out how to open the light though... it seems SF is using a non-standard sized hex screw for the body of the Beast as none of my hex screw sets have an exact matching size. Go figure.

As for the Polarion... yeah I think I'll give the PF-50 a shot, if the seller has a PF version that is. Still can't get used to the design of that handle on the PH...

Sorry to hear about the giant fingerprint. If you do decide to clean it, I would just let some alcohol roll around in there and let it do its thing.

I'm also partial to the PF50, I never got used to the handle being there. I have big hands so it gets in the way. If I ever get the chance I'd also like to acquire a PF50 or an extra PF body. If anyone has an extra body please PM me.

I just got my hands on a thermal imager (hehe) and once I've got the time I'm going to put some of my lights under it just to see how heat patterns build up. This should be interesting.

I always wanted to try this. Looking forward to the results!

Norm

Retired Administrator
Is it forbidden to mention a commercial site name on these forums ? It seems to me that it happens regularly. Anyway, if you look at my messages, you will see this german vendors address. He gives a very good and quick service, I just received a ph50 from him.

You can mention the company name but please do not link directly to there web site.

Norm

Francois1

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for your explanation Norm. In case Entrope still hasn't this online site name, it's simply called flashlightshop.

Helmut.G

Enlightened
yes flashlightshop from germany has got the PH50 in stock, but not the PF50 you are looking for.

since you live outside the european union they will substract 16% EU sales tax off your price. shipping is free

I recommend not to attempt cleaning a reflector, especially not in a ultra rare and expensive light like the Beast.
Contact Surefire if it's so bad.

dudemar

Flashlight Enthusiast
The bulb is interchangeable between models so no worries there. If you still want a PF50 (like me), you can always pick up a PH50 and find a donor PF body. It isn't a drastic mod as it only requires unscrewing the body from the head.

Last edited:

dudemar

Flashlight Enthusiast
I recall Lips had a few floating around. Haven't seen him in these parts for ages...

Last edited:

dudemar

Flashlight Enthusiast
...or you can just get a PH50 now, then when you save enough get a PF40 and swap bodies.

You know you want to. :D

I think Pro Light in Japan has the PF50.

Last edited: