Whats a good grill light?

thaugen

Enlightened
I use my Zebralight H51w strapped to my head while grilling. I think an H51c might give slightly better color rendering, but I am happy with my H51w! Happy grilling!

rayman

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would suggest a Zebralight too, as a our flood light. Maybe a warm tint would make the meat more appetizing ;).

rayman

qwertyydude

Flashlight Enthusiast
I do suggest at least a neutral white tint. When I've tried grilling with a cool white led you end up thinking the meat is more done. Get inside and you realize it still needs some more time on the grill.

tbenedict

Enlightened
I've been using my H501W and other neutral/warm lights for this for a few years. Lately I've been looking for a solar powered flood light to put on the wall behind the grill.

The SC51W and Quark Mini high CRI work great and are both easily "lipped". The H501W does great clipped to a shirt.

peterharvey73

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a Weber Summit 4 burner.
I tried an Energizer Hard Case Headlight, superbly built, with a superbly built-in diffuser, but whenever I turn my head away, my friend, who's also cooking has no illumination.
So I went back to using the Weber's built-in light.

I saw a photo of the bigger Weber Summit 6 burner with two (2) Weber LED lights, so I purchased a second Weber 7516 Grill Out Handle light from eBay.
Each Weber light uses 3xAAA's, so using my newly learnt CPF knowledge, I purchased 6xAAA multi-coloured glitter Eneloop 1.2 volts, and they work superbly.
The original Weber LED light has a grey plastic case, and the beam is very warm in tint, similar to a traditional incandescent lamp.
The new 7516 looks exactly the same, but uses a black plastic case, and the beam has a brighter and cooler tint.
So if I'm really picky, I'd have to buy a third Weber LED light to make things symmetrical.
The light has a built-in sensor to turn on automatically when the lid is open, and automatically turn to standby when the lid is closed.
The switch that you can see in the photo turns it totally off.
The circular dial with a straight handle running through it, is actually the removable cap for the 3xAAA battery carrier.

Does anyone know if I can modify the Weber 7516 LED bbq light?
Can I use 3x lithium ion rechargeable 10440's @ 3.7 volts each, to boost the brightness?????
How would I modify the electronic circuit to handle the increased voltage?

Energizer3xAAunder100L.jpg

Energizer Hard Case Headlamp is superbly built, with a superb built-in diffuser, and infinite angle adjustment, but no illumination for second chef when you turn your head away.

summit_s420_210x150-1.jpg

Standard four main burners with single Weber LED light.

summit_s620_210x150.jpg

Bigger 6 burner uses two separate Weber LED lights.

7516.jpg

3062101_2799.jpg

Weber 7516 LED Grill Out Handle Light for Weber Summit Series - a good light, but very weak; need two of them per handle, but still very weak.

Does anyone know how to mod this light so it can run on more powerful lithium ion 3x10440's @ 3.7 volts each???
If necessary, I can post a photograph of the light disassembled to show the electronics and transistors inside etc...

Last edited:

Outdoorsman5

Flashlight Enthusiast
I also use either my Zebralight H51w (neutral tint) or my Zebralight H501w (neutral tint Flood Light) for grilling. I don't have good lighting around my grill, and prefer these headlights over anything else. If you want a light with a hotspot then get the H51w. If you want one of the most perfect floodlights around then get the H501w. The neutral tint is much better for distinguishing the colors of meat, so stick with neutral.

Also, the H51w is great for hiking & walking around in the dark. The H501w is great far any and all up close tasks, and it's the best reading light on the planet.

Last edited:

Latest posts