Innovative and high-quality Rofis flashlight
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 30 of 39

Thread: Techlite - Lumen Master 200 (Costco)

  1. #1
    Enlightened
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Southern California
    Posts
    65

    Default Techlite - Lumen Master 200 (Costco)

    Hi. I just got back from Costco (Enfield, CT) and noticed they had a new version of the Techlite LED flashlight. It's 200 lumens on high, 120 on low, and has a strobe function. The 3-pack is $19.99 plus tax. The previous version was 150 lumens on high. I bought a 3-pack to see if there is that much difference in output. Cheers!

  2. #2
    Enlightened
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Great Soggy Northwest
    Posts
    63

    Default Re: Techlite - Lumen Master 200 (Costco)

    Well, it's nice and dark outside now , so. . . .where's the review?
    I would rather be judged by twelve
    ...........Than carried by six

  3. #3
    Enlightened
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Southern California
    Posts
    65

    Default Re: Techlite - Lumen Master 200 (Costco)

    I have mixed feelings about it. The light on the 200 lumen version is a bit whiter than the 150 lumen version (slightly more yellowish). The low setting seems less bright than the 150 lumen version, but the high is definitely brighter, but not that much (maybe 10%, maybe 20% at most). The hotspot on the 150 lumen is smaller, so it's more focused. The 200 lumen version's hotspot is larger and looks more like a large circle from about 20 feet onto a white wall. The flood on both is about the same. If you want to spotlight something, then get the 150 lumen version, but if you want to light up a larger area, then get the 200 lumen verison. The runtime is equal on both - 1 hour on high, 4 hours on low. The 150 lumen version uses a CREE XP-E LED and the 200 lumen version uses a CREE XP-G LED. Also, the 200 lumen version does not have clean lines for both the hotspot and fill. There isn't distinct circles of brighter and brighter light as you get to the hotspot (like my Fexix LD20). It's uneven, so if that annoys you, then don't get the 200 lumen version.

    What else do you want to know? I've never done a review of a flashlight before (first time).
    Last edited by bruintennis; 01-26-2012 at 09:20 AM.

  4. #4

    Default Re: Techlite - Lumen Master 200 (Costco)

    I was given one of these out of a 3 pack. Here's my take:

    Looks like they stuck an XP-G in this one. The SMO reflector provides for quite a ringy beam. It uses a soft switch on the tailcap. The modes are advertised as 200lumens - 120 lumens - Strobe. Because it's a soft switch it does have parasitic drain on the batteries. I measured this at around 28uA.

    Runtime has got to be pretty poor running on 3 AAA's, although I have not tested. The light is quite heavy weighing in at 139g / 4.91oz. It appears to have a polycarbonate lens. The bezel one piece with the head, and is crenulated.

    Not sure what I'll do with this light that was given to me. Probably, use it as a give away/throw away too. For $6.50US per light there isn't much invested in them.

    I suspect this thread will be moved to Budget lights forum soon.

  5. #5
    Flashaholic* HIDblue's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    California
    Posts
    871

    Default Re: Techlite - Lumen Master 200 (Costco)

    Quote Originally Posted by bruintennis View Post
    Hi. I just got back from Costco (Enfield, CT) and noticed they had a new version of the Techlite LED flashlight. It's 200 lumens on high, 120 on low, and has a strobe function. The 3-pack is $19.99 plus tax. The previous version was 150 lumens on high. I bought a 3-pack to see if there is that much difference in output. Cheers!
    Make sure you keep the receipt. There are several old threads about the previous Techlite versions. I bought the previous version and 2 out of 3 lights ended up failing...one, the plastic battery carrier just fell apart in the light, and the second, just stopped working. Neither light even lasted past the first set of batteries. Thank goodness Costco has a very liberal return policy.
    My dog ate my flashlight...

  6. #6
    Enlightened
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Southern California
    Posts
    65

    Default Re: Techlite - Lumen Master 200 (Costco)

    Quote Originally Posted by HIDblue View Post
    Make sure you keep the receipt. There are several old threads about the previous Techlite versions. I bought the previous version and 2 out of 3 lights ended up failing...one, the plastic battery carrier just fell apart in the light, and the second, just stopped working. Neither light even lasted past the first set of batteries. Thank goodness Costco has a very liberal return policy.
    Thanks for the insight. I'll definitely keep the receipt. I gave one to my gf and one to my nephew, so I'll them if they have any problems to give the flashlight back to me.

  7. #7

    Default Re: Techlite - Lumen Master 200 (Costco)

    They have really improved these over the first versions. The first batch had poor output and parasitic drain, but these have a decent cree emitter and seem to be getting much stronger reviews. They are clearly superior to most other flashlights now, particularly the Surefire brand. Ok so I'm just kidding about the last part .

    Full disclosure: I don't own these, and don't wish to own anything sold in a 3-pack, except for food or alcohol
    Last edited by jondotcom; 01-27-2012 at 11:10 AM.

  8. #8
    Flashaholic
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    hawaii
    Posts
    298

    Default Re: Techlite - Lumen Master 200 (Costco)

    [QUOTE=jondotcom;3860595]They have really improved these over the first versions. The first batch had poor output and parasitic drain, but these have a decent cree emitter and seem to be getting much stronger reviews. They are clearly superior to most other flashlights now, particularly the Surefire brand. Ok so I'm just kidding about the last part .

    Full disclosure: I don't own these, and don't wish to own anything sold in a 3-pack, except for food or alcohol [/QUOTE/] You got me going bro! That reference to Surefire made me spill my coffee!

  9. #9
    *Flashaholic* PhotonWrangler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    In a handbasket
    Posts
    11,030

    Default Re: Techlite - Lumen Master 200 (Costco)

    These are turning up all over the Dayton Hamvention so I picked one up. Tint is cool to neutral with a very slight ringiness in the beam, but not objectional to me. Seems good enough for a glove box light.
    Veni vidi velcro

  10. #10
    Flashaholic*
    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Location
    Massachusetts
    Posts
    4,857

    Default Re: Techlite - Lumen Master 200 (Costco)

    I purchased these too. I think very decent for the money but I don't believe they are regulated at all. Can anybody confirm?
    I live in a van down by the river

  11. #11
    *Flashaholic* PhotonWrangler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    In a handbasket
    Posts
    11,030

    Default Re: Techlite - Lumen Master 200 (Costco)

    I haven't been able to get mine apart yet to confirm, and I'm not picking up any PWM noise from it with an AM radio nearby, however the fact that it has a softswitch and multiple modes suggests regulation.

  12. #12

    Default Re: Techlite - Lumen Master 200 (Costco)

    Just for fun: Here's a video of a girl using the crenulations to bash a coconut open: http://youtu.be/pNDEKiGdUIw
    Last edited by cyber5; 06-27-2012 at 12:29 PM. Reason: grammar errors

  13. #13

    Default Re: Techlite - Lumen Master 200 (Costco)

    I think I've purchased every version of these lights and I can honestly say not one has failed. People that I have given them to are still using them, though I can't attest to how often that use is. The 160 lumen XP-E version has been in my leg pocket for about 2 years, running on "Duraloops". It's been dropped, kicked & tossed numerous times with no problems. It even spent a night in a snowplough compressed ice/snow bank beside my car which required digging out with a spade shovel. I was trying to get my car out and didn't have a clue the light was there, press the button and voila!

    Oh, it beats my E1b in throw, and not just!! The new 200 lumen versions are brighter but nowhere near as "throwy"(XP-E vs. XP-G)
    So, when you get these for $15 or $16 for three I don't think there's much to complain about. Just check for centred emitters and ones that don't sit too far below the reflector.

    Mine certainly owe me nothing!
    Last edited by Up All Night; 06-27-2012 at 09:37 PM.

  14. #14
    Flashaholic* CarpentryHero's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Edmonton
    Posts
    2,828

    Default Re: Techlite - Lumen Master 200 (Costco)

    I love these for Halloween, I've got 6 from two years ago and I put one in every room and ceiling bounced the strobe. I was known as the lightening house
    I'm glad I found CPF, I was beginning to think I was strange
    I'm a Canadian and a proud Flashaholic
    Thanks CPF, thanks Think2x

  15. #15
    Flashaholic Grmnracing's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    CT USA
    Posts
    193

    Default

    I have these lights and they are ok. I'm waiting to see a mod to get better runtime out of them. For example. Will a 14500 work?

    I'm guessing it runs on 3.6 or 4.5v?

    http://www.zbattery.com/PX19-4-5V-Alkaline-Battery-531
    Last edited by Grmnracing; 06-27-2012 at 07:45 PM.

  16. #16

    Default Re: Techlite - Lumen Master 200 (Costco)

    Quote Originally Posted by Grmnracing View Post
    I have these lights and they are ok. I'm waiting to see a mod to get better runtime out of them. For example. Will a 14500 work?

    I'm guessing it runs on 3.6 or 4.5v?

    http://www.zbattery.com/PX19-4-5V-Alkaline-Battery-531
    That's one battery I've never seen before!

    How about an 18500 in a sleeve? anyone?

  17. #17
    Flashaholic* CarpentryHero's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Edmonton
    Posts
    2,828

    Default Re: Techlite - Lumen Master 200 (Costco)

    Quote Originally Posted by Grmnracing View Post
    I have these lights and they are ok. I'm waiting to see a mod to get better runtime out of them. For example. Will a 14500 work?

    I'm guessing it runs on 3.6 or 4.5v?

    http://www.zbattery.com/PX19-4-5V-Alkaline-Battery-531

    These lights runo on 3 AAA batteries. Unless you found a battery carrier so you could use the single 14500.
    The 10440 is the size aaa equivalent and three of those would make the light go Fzorch. Unless you swapped drivers
    I'm glad I found CPF, I was beginning to think I was strange
    I'm a Canadian and a proud Flashaholic
    Thanks CPF, thanks Think2x

  18. #18

    Default Re: Techlite - Lumen Master 200 (Costco)

    Quote Originally Posted by CarpentryHero View Post
    These lights runo on 3 AAA batteries. Unless you found a battery carrier so you could use the single 14500.
    The 10440 is the size aaa equivalent and three of those would make the light go Fzorch. Unless you swapped drivers
    +1 on the Fzorch! Ha!

  19. #19
    *Flashaholic* gadget_lover's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Near Silicon Valley (too near)
    Posts
    6,955

    Default Re: Techlite - Lumen Master 200 (Costco)

    I'm not impressed with the quality. I picked some up when visiting my mom, thinking the soft touch of the tailcap switch might be easier on her arthritic hands.

    Of the three in the pack, two have defects.

    1) I put the batteries in the holder while sitting in the back seat of my mom's new car. I thought I saw a spider web float by. The light did not work, but was getting seriously hot. I quickly removed the tailcap and thought I saw another spiderweb. It was a wisp of smoke from inside the light. I pulled the batteries out of the carrier. One burned my finger. Investigation shows that one of the spring contacts was not in the correct position and was shorting out one cell. I'll eventually get around to fixing it.

    2) I don't like the strobe before turning off. I took apart the tailcap on light #2 to see if I could disable the strobe. I found a nice little circuit board. One of the surface mount resistors is about 35 degrees out of position. It's barely making contact to the pad that it is supposed to be soldered to. I don't know what it will do if dropped or if it heats after running for a while.

    I do like the output, and the beam is usable for a utility light. At less than $10 each, it's not that bad.

    Daniel
    ================================================== =
    I have got to plan my procrastination better!

  20. #20

    Default Re: Techlite - Lumen Master 200 (Costco)

    This upsets me. A flashlight for under $7 boasts anodized (obviously not type III) aerospace aluminum and a Cree XP-G emitter. Surefire's and other high end brands use the same emitters even though they are way higher quality and expensive. I do understand that they would be binned lower but still, aren't there better emitters to be had for a $200 flashlight than the same thing thats in a $7 light?

  21. #21

    Default Re: Techlite - Lumen Master 200 (Costco)

    Quote Originally Posted by Raptor Factor View Post
    This upsets me. A flashlight for under $7 boasts anodized (obviously not type III) aerospace aluminum and a Cree XP-G emitter. Surefire's and other high end brands use the same emitters even though they are way higher quality and expensive. I do understand that they would be binned lower but still, aren't there better emitters to be had for a $200 flashlight than the same thing thats in a $7 light?
    Tell me about it! I had the XP-E version on me when I went to look at a Fenix TK11 & TK12 and I had to walk away empty handed. Don't get me wrong, I'm not going to even pretend to compare these lights for quality but I expected the Fenix to blow this thing out of the water. They were brighter, threw farther, but not by much and certainly not enough to coax $80 out of my pocket. Then to add insult to injury the tint on the Costco was much better. I left the store disappointed and somewhat confused.
    That was a couple or maybe three years ago and it's still going strong. Carry it everyday! I did succumb to the high-end lights and have several, but every time I pull this light out at night I just shake my head and say "I can't believe this light was 5 bucks"!

  22. #22
    Flashaholic Grmnracing's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    CT USA
    Posts
    193

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by gadget_lover View Post
    I'm not impressed with the quality. I picked some up when visiting my mom, thinking the soft touch of the tailcap switch might be easier on her arthritic hands.

    Of the three in the pack, two have defects.

    1) I put the batteries in the holder while sitting in the back seat of my mom's new car. I thought I saw a spider web float by. The light did not work, but was getting seriously hot. I quickly removed the tailcap and thought I saw another spiderweb. It was a wisp of smoke from inside the light. I pulled the batteries out of the carrier. One burned my finger. Investigation shows that one of the spring contacts was not in the correct position and was shorting out one cell. I'll eventually get around to fixing it.

    2) I don't like the strobe before turning off. I took apart the tailcap on light #2 to see if I could disable the strobe. I found a nice little circuit board. One of the surface mount resistors is about 35 degrees out of position. It's barely making contact to the pad that it is supposed to be soldered to. I don't know what it will do if dropped or if it heats after running for a while.

    I do like the output, and the beam is usable for a utility light. At less than $10 each, it's not that bad.

    Daniel
    Hold down the button for a second or two. This will skip strobe and go straight to off. Also from off position hold down the power button and don't release it. The light will come on then turn off when you let go. Straight to high mode.

  23. #23

    Default Re: Techlite - Lumen Master 200 (Costco)

    Quote Originally Posted by Up All Night View Post
    Tell me about it! I had the XP-E version on me when I went to look at a Fenix TK11 & TK12 and I had to walk away empty handed. Don't get me wrong, I'm not going to even pretend to compare these lights for quality but I expected the Fenix to blow this thing out of the water. They were brighter, threw farther, but not by much and certainly not enough to coax $80 out of my pocket. Then to add insult to injury the tint on the Costco was much better. I left the store disappointed and somewhat confused.
    That was a couple or maybe three years ago and it's still going strong. Carry it everyday! I did succumb to the high-end lights and have several, but every time I pull this light out at night I just shake my head and say "I can't believe this light was 5 bucks"!
    I shake my head, too. I use mine all the time now with Eneloops and it has really slowed me down from new purchases.
    I mean 200 lumen for $5. BTW the 2 packs (6 lights) I've bought have had no problems.

  24. #24

    Default Re: Techlite - Lumen Master 200 (Costco)

    I'm new to CPF, but what kind of high end emitters are even out there? Are any even as expensive as a good $30 incandescent lamp? Or are standard emitters just adapted to flashlights because they're cheap?

  25. #25

    Default Re: Techlite - Lumen Master 200 (Costco)

    Quote Originally Posted by HIDblue View Post
    Make sure you keep the receipt. There are several old threads about the previous Techlite versions. I bought the previous version and 2 out of 3 lights ended up failing...one, the plastic battery carrier just fell apart in the light, and the second, just stopped working. Neither light even lasted past the first set of batteries. Thank goodness Costco has a very liberal return policy.
    These lights are a P.O.S. Perfect example of "Getting what you pay for". I bought a 3 pack of the old version from Costco a couple years ago. One just stopped working, the second one I dropped and the battery carrier shattered inside the light! Third one went into the trash, because I don't trust them.

    Do yourself a favor, AVOID them and buy a budget light recommended by members in the CPF Budget Light Forum!

  26. #26

    Default Re: Techlite - Lumen Master 200 (Costco)

    Quote Originally Posted by Evltcat View Post
    These lights are a P.O.S. Perfect example of "Getting what you pay for". I bought a 3 pack of the old version from Costco a couple years ago. One just stopped working, the second one I dropped and the battery carrier shattered inside the light! Third one went into the trash, because I don't trust them.

    Do yourself a favor, AVOID them and buy a budget light recommended by members in the CPF Budget Light Forum!
    Don't know about the old ones, but you are thoroughly mistaken if you refer to the newer xpg's.

  27. #27

    Default Re: Techlite - Lumen Master 200 (Costco)

    Quote Originally Posted by cccpull View Post
    Don't know about the old ones, but you are thoroughly mistaken if you refer to the newer xpg's.
    Have you dropped one of the new ones on tile/concrete yet? I'd like to know if the battery carrier survives in the new models. I'm glad you got your money's worth from the new ones, but I still say the older ones in the 3 packs are CRAP!

  28. #28
    Flashaholic* srfreddy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    New England
    Posts
    918

    Default Re: Techlite - Lumen Master 200 (Costco)

    The battery holder seems pretty solid-I tossed 2 of them into gloveboxes, about how long will it take for 3 AAA's to die from parasitic drain?

  29. #29
    Unenlightened
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    1

    Default Re: Techlite - Lumen Master 200 (Costco)

    New here. While I do have a mild fetish for flashlights, I don't have the money to be a "flashlight snob", as much as I probably could be . I don't know about anybody else here, but I must have about 30 flashlights around the house, bedrooms, porches, cars, garage, various drawers, dresser top, desks. (Okay, some of those are Harbor Freight 9-led freebies) When I want to grab a flashlight, I want one here and now and convenient . (I don't carry one around in my pocket all the time).

    That said, I just bought one of these 3-pack sets at Costco on a whim today and came here to see what others had to say about them. All I can say is, I'm tickled with these, they seem all of 200 lumens to me, but who knows for sure, and the Duracell alkalines were included. All mine work fine and seem durable enough for daily, knockaround use. I don't need to have one on for hours on end and I have lots of Eneloops, so I'm not too concerned about run time or leakage, although I do hope that's not a big issue. The throw and spill are just about right for me and the color is good and neutral. When I get rich and famous, I'll buy 30 Shurefire's, but for now, I'll show off and fondle my Fenix and use the heck out these. What the heck, I'll probably show these off too, as ~200 lumen flashlights for <$7. I ain't complaining.

  30. #30

    Default

    I have bought the 150 lumen versions and have had no problems with them. I keep them in my hurricane kits and store the batteries separately. They have been beat up, thrown in swimming pools and dropped down a stair well. They still work. Let me know if you can find a better light for $5 with batteries!!!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •