Uv light for curing norland

ffemt6263

Enlightened
Hey guys. I know pretty much nothing at all about uv lights. Whats a good light to cure norland? Would a regular black light work? Like i said i know nothing about this. Thanks

Last edited:

GaAslamp

Enlightened
Hey guys. I know pretty much nothing at all about uv lights. Whats a good light to cure norland?

Looking at LEDs first, your options are limited. The output of Norland's own UV lights (pricey :eek:oo:) is specified at 365 nm, so this likely tells us what type of UV light is needed. It's bit farther into the UV range than most UV LEDs go, for example--the vast majority of them are around the 395-400 nm range, with a few going down to maybe 375 nm (e.g. Streamlight Stylus UV and LRI Photon Freedom UV--both low-output flashlights). Several higher-output flashlights claim to go down to 365 nm, but I researched the topic and found that their claims are false (they have some output at 365 nm, I'm sure, but not much). :rolleyes: True high-output 365 nm LED flashlights are rare--if you can find a Nailbender UV P60 drop-in, for example, then you could install it in a P60 host (e.g. Solarforce), and you'd be all set (albeit the price will still be somewhat high). It would take some luck to find one, though.

Would a regular black light work? Like i said i know nothing about this. Thanks

Sure, it's probably exactly what Norland's non-LED lights use. If you need a portable, battery-powered unit, then take any portable fluorescent light and install a BLB or BL tube in it.

While I would always encourage people to search the forum for answers first, the UV LED flashlights mentioned in the other thread are only "near-UV" in reality--they might work somewhat, but are not very effective. True UV (actually UVA or long-wave UV) LED emitters are costly (even 5mm), so you're not going to find them in $3 flashlights, period. The last post in the other thread is the most pragmatic--just use a cheap fluorescent (mercury vapor) black light. :thumbsup:

ffemt6263

Enlightened
So a cheap black light from a party store really will work?? That would be great and really cheap!

GaAslamp

Enlightened
So a cheap black light from a party store really will work?? That would be great and really cheap!

As long as you buy ones labeled "BL" (e.g. bug-zapper or tanning beds) or "BLB" (more visible light blocked by a filter, as used for entertainment purposes), you should be fine, as they emit real UVA. Don't buy them otherwise, or else you might get violet light, which may not be as effective (or short-wave UV, which can be dangerous).