Why flashlights? Are you guys crazy?

mcdj

Newly Enlightened
And when I say, "you guys", I am including myself, though only recently.

Here's how I see it. Everyone needs a flashlight or 2. But obviously no one needs 20 or 10, or even 5. And few people need ones that do 1/10th of what modern multi mode lights can do, or at 1/10th of the power.

But the great thing about really nice flashlights is that they're relatively cheap. Perhaps not cheap as flashlights go, but in the scheme of things, $150 for a satisfying man toy is pretty cheap, given the amount of money we COULD spend on something.

Custom knives are $500 and up. A Seiko diver's automatic watch with a custom bezel and dial on an upgraded bracelet will run you $300+; nevermind an ETA based watch, or a Rolex. Bikes, guns, cars...they all cost way more, and that's just for the crappy ones.

For $150, you can pretty much get the Patek Philippe of flashlights. Which one is up to you...just pick a superlative...brightest, most durable, smallest, coolest looking, most efficient etc. You can't get the best pen on the planet for $150. You can get the best cigar on the planet for $150, but 30 minutes later, it's gone. But spend $150 on a flashlight, and you get a rock solid, built to last object. There aren't many things you can say that about in this day and age.

AnAppleSnail

Flashlight Enthusiast

Here's how I see it. Everyone needs a flashlight or 2. But obviously no one needs 20 or 10, or even 5. And few people need ones that do 1/10th of what modern multi mode lights can do, or at 1/10th of the power.

I have my copper Maratac, a dressy EDC for work.
I have my Peak vesuvius, on the keychain for stupid output.
I have my Quark Tactical for adventuring/home projects
I have my Rainbowgun
my HID spotlight
my 12v 50W halogen, for photography and optical murder
I have my Solarforce for backup adventuring
I have my L10A
Rayovac DIY-2AA
3 HD headlamps
5 HD loaners
Coast 6-LED
Quark Mini AA
DX Flood-to-Throw, as loaners
My stock 2-AA Minimag, reading and 'where we came from' light

Homebuilt R/B box
Homebuilt blue array
3 Homebuilt USB-storage glowfobs

That's 26 portable lighting things, not even looking in the light closet to refresh my memory. Each can be used to signal or at least find your way in a dark place. Each serves their purpose and each does it well. Anyway, never tell people what needs are obvious until you are them ;)

I often host photography groups and supply lighting for everyone. Your needs depend on what you do. I need small, powerful lighting at work. The AAA format takes a big runtime hit, though. I have neutral-white LED and incan with custom filters for photography. I have scads of LED loaners for general use and loaning. I have dirt cheap lights I have tweaked for loaning, and nicer ones for people I trust.

yifu

Enlightened
Ah, but you are wrong, flashlights costing 150 dollars are hardly considered "premium" in the sense that customs cost way more than that. A nice cerakoted Surefire host with a Quad drop in and all the bells and whistles easily runs up to 400-500 and many custom lights cost way more than that. Data'a beautiful works often run up to 2000 dollars. I'd love to buy a Tri-v or a 007 or both but that would be 4000 dollars. And meanwhile there are people with multiple high end customs.

And in the mega-output world, a high wattage HID easily runs into the thousands, even short-arc mods cost that much money. So yes, flashlights collecting is a very expensive hobby.

TEEJ

Flashaholic
It might be even more crazy to keep buying stamps that you can't even mail anything with.

:D

Z-Tab

Enlightened
I think it's a lot like collecting watches. After about $10, they don't actually tell time much better.

You can buy a 150-200 Lumen light from Costco in a three-pack for less than $20. But a Titanium Mac's Tri-EDC sure is neat.

AnAppleSnail

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think it's a lot like collecting watches. After about $10, they don't actually tell time much better.

You can buy a 150-200 Lumen light from Costco in a three-pack for less than $20. But a Titanium Mac's Tri-EDC sure is neat.

A Titanium Tri-EDC will drive a lot more nails while indirectly lighting the crawl space than a costco 3-pack. There is that. Also,
I actually had one friend tell me that he was more than satisfied with his Wally World light :shakehead....

I took it out of his hand and said"Imagine this happened during a foot pursuit" and tossed his light onto the cement about 6 ft away.
....killed it..:oops:

I gifted him one of my lights... [snip]

I am crossing threads here, sorry.

Last edited:

nbp

Flashaholic
You have just convinced me that custom lights are a bargain, and that I should have more of them than I already do.

Thank you.

:)

Sub_Umbra

Flashlight Enthusiast
In the same way that it is difficult to drive a nail with a screwdriver, lighting up something at the end of my block is difficult with an ordinary, generic household flashlight.

I need a wide variety of lights. I've owned some lights for years that I have never needed to use. That's fine by me. I have all kinds of things that I know I need very much, even though I have not yet had to use them. I've been lucky.

I hope the OP never needs a light he doesn't have.

Last edited:

BIGLOU

Enlightened
The majority of my lights are in the $150 range and I have around $4000 in lights. Mostly bored Surefires with McClickies, bezel rings, Malkoff or Nailbender XMLs and AW batterries. I also have a few Cyros Bezels, FiveMega bodies and heads, and one Solarforce body and a few Jetbeams that are collecting dust. I use these a tools as I use to work parking enforcement (swing shift) and now work security. I dont have any $500 lights, the only ones that are close are my M6 Guardian and 10X Dominator. I take very good care of my lights and make sure that they dont get banged up, I also have a good track record only dropping some a few times. I dont collect anything else, I use to put a lot of money on my Acura Integra Type-R which had all the bells and whistles, but that got stolen last year. At least with my lights they would have to burglarize me and i never leave all my lights in a bag in my car and chance it someone is going to break in. I guess I am crazy, but I'm super dupper happy. :D

Last edited:

angelofwar

Flashlight Enthusiast
As sub-umbra and BIGLOU have hinted at, I think that flashlights, in general, are under-rated tools by the populous. It's not until you carry a decent one every-day that you realize how useful one can be in most any situation. Can I live with my L1 alone? Yes. But, to be prepared, I want lights for my bug-out bags, FAKS, vehicles, and loaners. I think lights are THAT improtant of a tool (as I tell others, it's the tool that allows you to use all of your other tools), and a so much of a force multiplier, that having 20 around is not a bad thing...

Imagine going through Katrina with a 2-D incan, and an extended 3 week power outage. If all you have is a 2D Krypton light, your options are VERY limited, and you can be as mobile, or nearly as efficient. No reading lights for your kids. You would be essentially handi-capped those three weeks if a medium sized family only had a 2D krypton light.

Weapon (Gun/Knife/Both), Flashlight, means of shelter, means of fire, and means of sustinance. These are make or break tools/resources in my book.

jamesmtl514

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sure most of us could keep our favorite light, sell the rest and we'd still live a long and rewarding life. But what's fun about that?
Aside from my duplicates, out of my 30ish lights, all of then have a specific application. It's great having the right tool for the job.

RedLED

Flashlight Enthusiast
Palm Springs, CA, Beverly Hills, CA, Washington, D
You have just convinced me that custom lights are a bargain, and that I should have more of them than I already do.

Thank you.

:)

I guess I could use an additional McGizmo or Muyshondt, HDS, Photonfanatic and I want my first Dark Sucks stonewashed custom now.

Plus it helps support some fine, talented small American business owners/manufacturers in a depressed economy. It is nice to be able to do that.

Also, when I attend social events, mostly working but, sometimes as a guest, people have no idea these things exist outside of Mega-Lo-Mart, they love my demos and, now I have society people, and celebrities asking me to get them one like I have. That is kind of cool.

I know people with $20,000,000.00 homes, and $5.00 lights. My Dr. has some mega-dollar car, what else, and he loved my Ti Aeon so much, I just gave it to him. I told him a car like that needs a cool light. I also gave my hair dresser an HA Aluminum Aeon, and she went crazy... she loves it.

These lights are really pieces of functional art. I like to give things away to people that take care of me.

I hope this catches on more with people that can afford nice things, and want to add a nice reliable light in their vehicles, or nightstand.

Just wondering if some others here give away lights to people.

I also give lights to kids in the neighborhood, and I have given many lights to guy's and girl's going in the Navy, and even give away some custom Emerson's and Hinderer's to ones going to combat zones. Two guy's from my old photo class I taught for the local HS, are aboard nuclear subs, and I gave both of them Milky L1's.

If you can give things it is better than having a ton of queens that never get used. Keep your collection, and enjoy it, but it is nice to give some away, too.

That is what I do.

Best,

NR

Last edited:

itguy07

Newly Enlightened
I've come to the realization most have interesting hobbies or collections. My wife is an avid knitter and spinner. We're planning on moving this year and she wants a place with land so we can get some Alpacas and maybe sheep. Like most women she also has a purse collection.

Me? I've got a thing for sneakers and I think I have something like 80 pairs. Now I'm getting into this flashlight thing but I think it's a natural thing from my hobbies of electronics, photography, and even ham radio. Always been fascinated with electronics and batteries and light. Now that flashlights are very electronics heavy it's pretty interesting to me.

And it's cool to be able to carry around a huge amount of light in a small package. I'm amazed with the light that comes out of my Preon 2 and can't wait to see what the TK45 looks like later today when it comes.

Hey, we all have to do what makes us happy. Was watching TV the other day and there's a guy in Wisconsin that adopts deformed farm animals and takes care of them....

cland72

Flashlight Enthusiast
Why do women need more than one purse? Why do people need more than 2 pairs of shoes? Some people like certain things, and other people have no idea why. It is what it is :)

persco

Enlightened
I know people with $20,000,000.00 homes, and $5.00 lights. My Dr. has some mega-dollar car, what else, and he loved my Ti Aeon so much, I just gave it to him. I told him a car like that needs a cool light. I also gave my hair dresser an HA Aluminum Aeon, and she went crazy... she loves it.

These lights are really pieces of functional art. I like to give things away to people that take care of me.

I hope this catches on more with people that can afford nice things, and want to add a nice reliable light in their vehicles, or nightstand.

Just wondering if some others here give away lights to people.

I also give lights to kids in the neighborhood, and I have given many lights to guy's and girl's going in the Navy, and even give away some custom Emerson's and Hinderer's to ones going to combat zones. Two guy's from my old photo class I taught for the local HS, are aboard nuclear subs, and I gave both of them Milky L1's.

If you can give things it is better than having a ton of queens that never get used. Keep your collection, and enjoy it, but it is nice to give some away, too.

That is waht I do.

Best,

NR

I also have given a few lights away. I gave two elderly friends a stainless Maratac AA each. They loved them. I am also going to give my Lumapower Incendio to another friend. People are generally unaware that such sturdy, well-built bright little lights exist. And they're amazed when you replace their $5 3 lumen el cheapo light with better ones. I also enjoy giving things away to people. I am giving my wife my SWM V10R Ti (but I will keep the Aeon and the McGizmo Sundrop for now...).

RedLED

Flashlight Enthusiast
Palm Springs, CA, Beverly Hills, CA, Washington, D
I also have given a few lights away. I gave two elderly friends a stainless Maratac AA each. They loved them. I am also going to give my Lumapower Incendio to another friend. People are generally unaware that such sturdy, well-built bright little lights exist. And they're amazed when you replace their $5 3 lumen el cheapo light with better ones. I also enjoy giving things away to people. I am giving my wife my SWM V10R Ti (but I will keep the Aeon and the McGizmo Sundrop for now...).

Nice to hear you give them away, too. In some cases, I think once people learn that they can have a nice piece that does many handy things and factor in protection, they enjoy having a really nice one.

A flashlight is something anyone can use.

Best,

NR

krevo

Newly Enlightened

But the great thing about really nice flashlights is that they're relatively cheap. Perhaps not cheap as flashlights go, but in the scheme of things, $150 for a satisfying man toy is pretty cheap, given the amount of money we COULD spend on something.

Custom knives are $500 and up. A Seiko diver's automatic watch with a custom bezel and dial on an upgraded bracelet will run you $300+; nevermind an ETA based watch, or a Rolex. Bikes, guns, cars...they all cost way more, and that's just for the crappy ones.

For $150, you can pretty much get the Patek Philippe of flashlights. Which one is up to you...just pick a superlative...brightest, most durable, smallest, coolest looking, most efficient etc. You can't get the best pen on the planet for $150. You can get the best cigar on the planet for $150, but 30 minutes later, it's gone. But spend $150 on a flashlight, and you get a rock solid, built to last object. There aren't many things you can say that about in this day and age.

It's kinda funny, reading your post and seeing what appears to be a common trend amongst all the forums I visit. All the guys at the gun forums also like knives and flashlights. All the guys at the cigar forums like pens, flashlights and traditional wetshaving. All the guys at the flashlight forums like watches and knives. All the guys at the watch forums like flashlights and guns. LOL Now I know where all my money goes. hahahah