Looking for an inexpensive macro lens for my 50D

F250XLT

Flashlight Enthusiast
Any suggestions for an inexpensive macro lens for my Canon 50D? I was thinking about this one.

Last edited by a moderator:

csshih

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't really know enough to know what looking for, just would like a lens to take good close up pics.

well, budget? not all macro lenses are equal! some will be able to focus closer than another.

emu124 linked some filters that you can attach onto existing lenses - they might work but the image quality won't be as high!

C

F250XLT

Flashlight Enthusiast
Since I don't even know how to use my camera, I'd hate to spend too much on glass right now. I would be willing to spend up to $500 perhaps, but would rather keep it around $300. I really need to find a good class to take, or someone who can give one on one instruction.

emu124

Enlightened
well, budget? not all macro lenses are equal! some will be able to focus closer than another.

emu124 linked some filters that you can attach onto existing lenses - they might work but the image quality won't be as high!

C

Of course, with a macro lens for $400 it's possible to take better pictures, at least it should :shrug:.. but still, there's the guy behind the camera... :ohgeez::)
I paid $60 (and you can find them even cheaper) for the set (72mm) and since I'm not a professionel photographer I'm very happy with the results.

Here some pics I took with the macro filter

Last edited:

fonaryk

Newly Enlightened
Since I don't even know how to use my camera, I'd hate to spend too much on glass right now. I would be willing to spend up to $500 perhaps, but would rather keep it around $300. I really need to find a good class to take, or someone who can give one on one instruction.

I recommend this for a quick,inexpensive and very comprehensive tutorial DVD.

http://www.canon50ddvd.com/

sniper

Enlightened
Hello:

Actually, you have several options,all good.

First, what I have is the Tokina 100 mm macro lens. It cost about $475, and performs beautifully. Canon, Tamron and Sigma also make great macro lenses. Vivitar imported a macro lens at one time, and may still. Lower price, not the quality of the others, but probably entirely satisfactory.

Next, is the 2-element close-up lenses manufactured by Canon or Nikon. They are well-corrected, are expen$ive, but don't cost nearly as much as a dedicated macro lens. I think Canon's designation is the 50D lens. It comes in some strange and wonderful diameters, so a step-up ring may be necessary. Nikon makes 52 and 62 mm 2 element lenses, and it doesn't hurt a bit to use them on a Canon lens!

Next, the 3 or 4 filter diopter sets. As shown by Emu 124's excellent photos, they can do a marvelous job, and cost somewhat less. Stick with a known manufacturer, tho...they will probably be much bettEr built. IMO, $30-50 is not too much to pay for a good quality set. Avoid the "$18 Specials"...you will not be satisfied. Keep them clean!

The next option is extension tubes. These fit between the lens and the camera body, and may or may not allow autofocusing or metering, which is a shame. Kenko iis the only manufacturer I can think of that makes extension tubes that are truly autofocus and metering. There may be others, but do your research carefully, especially on eBay. Extension tubes require exposure adjustment , which is why I think it is necessary to get the ones that will allow full metering.

There is a learning curve to macro. Use a tripod any time you can. With any of the choices, your depth of field (the area in acceptable focus) will be small. Less than 1/2 inch, in many cases. Use a smaller f/stop...F/8, 11, or 16. Even then, the subject's body plane should be at right angles to the lens axis, and if you need more light think shoe-mounted electronic flash. What I do is mount my flash on the camera, then use a bounce diffuser or card. I tilt the flash about 45 degrees from horizontal. That way, the light is bounced closer to the lens' front element, and illuminates the subject very well, without the lens shadow that can be caused by the on-board flash.

I know this is a lot, but in addition, go to your local library, and check out a good book on close-up photography. It will help immensely. Good Luck! Photography is a magical pastime. Learn the mechanics, then avoid endless, useless discussions,and enjoy the magic!

Last edited:

csshih

Flashlight Enthusiast
Since you're just beginning to learn I'd actually recommend you start out with more affordable parts - the canon 500D lens filter actually does pretty well, according to reviews.
If you want to go even cheaper for now, emu's suggest sounds pretty good.
what lenses do you have at the moment? the filter will attach onto existing lenses.

C

F250XLT

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thank you all for the info and suggestions, SO much appreciated. To answer your question C, I currently only have the lens that came with my 50D (28-135mm). It does say it has macro setting, but not sure if it fits what I am looking for.

will

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would suggest that you get used to the camera and your existing lens before you make any additional purchases. Try using the lens you have with the macro setting and see if that meets your requirements. I have a few zoom lenses that have a macro setting and a true macro lens. The macro lens will allow better macro pictures than the zoom lenses, but a lot of times either will do fine. With the digital cameras and the PC software available, you can crop pictures, kinda like a poor man's macro.

Mentioned earlier is a tripod and separate flash - both excellent suggestions. With the tripod, get either a remote release or the wired release ( the old cable release )

Last edited:

F250XLT

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would suggest that you get used to the camera and your existing lens before you make any additional purchases.

Now what fun would that be :whistle:

With the tripod, get either a remote release or the wired release ( the old cable release )

I do have a tripod, and a Canon Speedlite 430EX II Flash...But I need to work on getting some lighting.

will

Flashlight Enthusiast
I do have a tripod, and a Canon Speedlite 430EX II Flash...But I need to work on getting some lighting.

I picked up a kit similar to this - good for small objects

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Portable-Mi...raphy_Background_Material&hash=item256bc15d78

If you really want to get into this - look at remote fired flash units, then you can get into multiple light set ups. I like to use my external flash aimed up at the ceiling for indoor shots. This eliminates the 'harshness' of direct flash.

Best bet - take lots of pictures - then you can determine what works best for you..

F250XLT

Flashlight Enthusiast
I did get one of those light boxes from ebay, the lights are definitely not adequate. I was looking at some lights on stands a while back, but have now forgotten where I saw them...perhaps BH.

Last edited by a moderator:

sniper

Enlightened
Thank you all for the info and suggestions, SO much appreciated. To answer your question C, I currently only have the lens that came with my 50D (28-135mm). It does say it has macro setting, but not sure if it fits what I am looking for.

Just one more observation, if I may; You have a beautiful lens! Learn its capabiities; you will be amazed at its capability, and may not feel the need for another lens. Take lots of pictures with it, waste some pixels...it's fun, and will increase your knowledge of your camera and optic. The more we shoot, the better we get.

F250XLT

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just one more observation, if I may; You have a beautiful lens! Learn its capabiities; you will be amazed at its capability, and may not feel the need for another lens. Take lots of pictures with it, waste some pixels...it's fun, and will increase your knowledge of your camera and optic. The more we shoot, the better we get.

Understood, I really do need to take some classes or something to learn how to shoot in manual mode.