BlackShadow

Thread: Any ideas on how to add a key-chain to PEAK with a momentary switch?

Default Any ideas on how to add a key-chain to PEAK with a momentary switch?

Just picked up an Eiger penlight with a momentary switch from the Marketplace. It does have the key-chain attachment, but would like to keep the momentary switch and use it on my key-chain?

Thanks for any ideas!!!

Lion of Zion
    lux mundi

Default Re: Any ideas on how to add a key-chain to PEAK with a momentary switch?

I don't have any of Peak lights yet, but I really want to get one with momentary in future. I was also thinking about how to attach a lanyard to it. You could attach some kind of small pocket clip with 2 holes in it - bigger for mounting between body and momentary and the smaller one would be attachement point to key-chain. Something like this:

Default Re: Any ideas on how to add a key-chain to PEAK with a momentary switch?

I've pondered this for some time, and the best I can come up with is to make your own attachment point and place it between the light and the momentary switch, sort of like how the Moddo clips fit on. What you need is a small, thin washer with a small loop attached to the outer rim, with that small loop acting as the either the keyring attachment point or for a split ring which you'd then attach to the keys.

Instead of a washer you might just try a small loop of wire under the momentary switch, and leave a little loop that extends out a bit.

Of course the trick, as I understand it, would then be to make sure the momentary switch still worked correctly (because the washer adds a bit of thickness and places the momentary switch farther out), which might mean extending the contact tip a bit, possibly with a bit of solder.

I'm sure others here will have better ideas, but that might be workable.
    Last edited by Derek Dean; 01-26-2012 at 10:37 AM.

Flashaholic*

if you have a QTC one you can add a clip as shown, but you might need to add something conductive and equivalent thinkness
    as a spacer inside the barrel so that the 'battery crushing factor' remains the same. or not.

Thanks for all the ideas!!! Gives me a better idea were to start off.

Thank you.

Lion Of Zion
    lux mundi

Quote Originally Posted by mhs View Post
    I don't have any of Peak lights yet, but I really want to get one with momentary in future. I was also thinking about how to attach a lanyard to it. You could attach some kind of small pocket clip with 2 holes in it - bigger for mounting between body and momentary and the smaller one would be attachement point to key-chain. Something like this:

His is a really good idea. I started another thread on this exact same thing. I found someone who would produce these for $15 each in Ti if we got 40 people to agree to buy something like this. I would take 2. I came up with the idea below, but I like the design you came up with above better. Would anyone want to get in on the one above? Lets start a group buy if we can get enough of us together.

Last edited by Costetl; 12-24-2012 at 01:09 PM.

I can get someone to produce this for us if we get enough people together.

| Sent from my iPhone 4S |

Quote Originally Posted by Costetl View Post
    I can get someone to produce this for us if we get enough people together.

OK I saw where you have already gotten the Dark Sucks clip,have you tried just attaching something to that?
    It seems obvious to me but you seem to want something different that does not yet exist.

Ed

Quote Originally Posted by AVService View Post
    OK I saw where you have already gotten the Dark Sucks clip,have you tried just attaching something to that?
    It seems obvious to me but you seem to want something different that does not yet exist.

Ed
    I have. It works ok. I was interested in getting a group buy together for it

I have. It works ok. I was interested in getting a group buy together for it

So if you wouldn't mind can you get a pic of the clip on the light and maybe describe it a little more,is it tight on there?

I know you post from your phone a lot so I understand if it is a pain to type that way,I can barely even see my phone!

It would be this cut from Ti. It would be the same thickness as the clip. It goes under the momentary button, it will be super secure. It would cost each person about $12 to $14 each.

The new momentary button will be out in 3 weeks. The new button will work 100% with the pocket clip or this piece.

It would go under the momentary button ad would stick out about 3 mm. You would put a mini ring thru the hole and then your lanyard.

It would be this cut from Ti. It would be the same thickness as the clip. It goes under the momentary button, it will be super secure. It would cost each person about $12 to $14 each.

The new momentary button will be out in 3 weeks. The new button will work 100% with the pocket clip or this piece.

It would go under the momentary button ad would stick out about 3 mm. You would put a mini ring thru the hole and then your lanyard.

What I meant was can you talk about or show the dark sucks clip on the light?

Thanks
    Ed

Flashaholic*

Some time ago, MWClint came up with this mod, drilling a small lanyard hole in the momentary button:

Peakaholic!

How about inserting a snap-ring between the battery tube and the tail cap part which threads into the battery tube? Hardware stores, Home Depot, and Lowe's sell snap rings in small quantities.

Last edited by parnass; 12-28-2012 at 02:17 PM.
    Retired engineer, author. Running Linux.

Flashaholic*

What new momentary button?!

I like this idea by the way, but I personally just use the lug body for a keychain attachment, and don't much care for lanyards.

I would buy one, for my 14250 El Capitan body.
    Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds.
    -- Albert Einstein

Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by Dances with Flashlight View Post
    Some time ago, MWClint came up with this mod, drilling a small lanyard hole in the momentary button:

That's a beautiful light. Is it a Logan with brass head and TC? I'm guessing the head was a limited run.
    Funniest CPF thread ever. I promise it'll make your day.

Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by dudemar View Post
    That's a beautiful light. Is it a Logan with brass head and TC? I'm guessing the head was a limited run.
    It's a Brass Pacific head on a HA Pacific keychain body with a standard Brass momentary switch.
    Peakaholic!

Flashaholic*

I want one.
    Funniest CPF thread ever. I promise it'll make your day.

Problem Solved...!

Here is a link to the site:
    http://www.mcmaster.com/#lanyard-ret...ashers/=ksk3tb

Thanks Jason!

Something will be made soon

Last edited by Costetl; 02-06-2013 at 01:36 PM.

makes me wish I kept my el capitan

CPF at it's finest! Look at the collective creativity in this thread! Gotta love this place. Robyn, why don't you and Curt manufacture these? Great idea for the mom switch!

Did anyone ever pick up one of those washers with the tag hole...I cant find them on mcmaster.