The Fenix-Store        

Thread: 8xD battery option for Coleman QUAD lantern

Flashaholic

Default 8xD battery option for Coleman QUAD lantern

I've recently gotten a Coleman quad led lantern but am unsure what to do for the 8 D batteries I need.

I'd like rechargeables & a good charger but not sure which ones.

Or do I use AA to D adapters & eneloops?

Thanks guys!!
    Fenix: TK11 | TK41 | LD20 | LD40 | PD32 | HP11 | MC11
    Spark: SL6-800CW | ST6-500CW Sunwayman: M10A Black Diamond: Spot
    Energizer: Lithium Ultimate headlamp MagLite: 2C w/ LED dropin Coleman: Quad LED Lantern

Default Re: 8xD battery option for Coleman QUAD lantern

I don't know anything about that lantern but my eneloops in 2 AA to D cell adapters work great for my 3 D cell Rayovac lantern. Ebay sells them cheap and they work well. The plastic hinge may eventually break so buy a bunch.

CyberCT already has a thread about this: http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/...D-Cell-Adapter

I think your options depend on the runtime and usage of your lantern. the 2AA -> D adapters will most likely cut your runtime to about 40% and require charging of 16 batteries and either another 16 backup batteries or back to using alkalines when they are depleted. The other alternatives are alkaline D cells, and nimh D cells which would require the purchase of a decent charger and an expenditure of about $10-$15 a battery on top of that. The final alternative which could be clunky is using 12 lead acid batteries and rigging an adapter of sorts.
    Fenix Split rings 1400+ sent, SWIVELS now available also!
    Psalm 112:4 Light shines in the darkness for the godly. They are generous, compassionate, and righteous.

Flashaholic

What's a good nihm D battery then?
    I'd rather get good runtime then ease of AAs.
    Energizer: Lithium Ultimate headlamp MagLite: 2C w/ LED dropin Coleman: Quad LED Lantern

Quote Originally Posted by DisrupTer911 View Post
    What's a good nihm D battery then?
    I'd rather get good runtime then ease of AAs.
    I am not sure what the best D nimh is, but I would recommend low self discharge ones.
    This thread may be a start, may need to browse the battery area or use the search function
    http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/...ll-and-charger
    Psalm 112:4 Light shines in the darkness for the godly. They are generous, compassionate, and righteous.

Quote Originally Posted by Lynx_Arc View Post
    I am not sure what the best D nimh is, but I would recommend low self discharge ones.
    This thread may be a start, may need to browse the battery area or use the search function
    http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/...ll-and-charger
    I am not sure what the best D size NiMh battery is either, but you need to avoid the D cells that are simply a smaller NiMh Cell placed into a larger pacakge. A good NiMh D cell should have a capacity of at least 10ah (10000 mAh). The challenge is then the appropriate charger, since the typical NiMh chargers are not designed to deal with such high capacity batteries, and may 'time out' before the cells are fully charged. You want a minimum charge rate of 1 amp, and a fast charger will need to be able to provide a significant multiple of 1 amp to charge in a few hours.

Flashaholic

whao shiza haha $37 for 2 Imedion Ds...perhaps I'll stick with purchasing Alkalines for when I need to use the lantern on our camping trips.

My main concern is that the QuadLED lantern uses the D batteries to charge the AAAs in the panels.
    So i wanted something I could recharge at the end of a trip instead of having to buy new each time lol

Anyidea how long alkaline D cells will last in the lantern when used a few times a year for camping and any power outages?

whao shiza haha $37 for 2 Imedion Ds...perhaps I'll stick with purchasing Alkalines for when I need to use the lantern on our camping trips.

My main concern is that the QuadLED lantern uses the D batteries to charge the AAAs in the panels.
    So i wanted something I could recharge at the end of a trip instead of having to buy new each time lol

Anyidea how long alkaline D cells will last in the lantern when used a few times a year for camping and any power outages?
    maybe you can figure out how to wire up a 12v wallwart to it to recharge the panels or something.

Flashaholic

The panels are just AAA, i could replace with eneloops and use a regular charger but that defeats the purpose of having 8D batteries lol

The panels are just AAA, i could replace with eneloops and use a regular charger but that defeats the purpose of having 8D batteries lol
    Seems like a strange design using alkaline D cells to charge AAA batteries to power a light.