I'm gonna roll the dice here.....

homeinspector

Newly Enlightened
You guys must be sick and tired of these newbe questions but I can think of no better place to ask these type of questions.....so here goes. I will just tell you who I am and what I do and what I am loooking for. I am a home inspector that spends alot of time in basements ,crawlspaces and attics. The limitations in these areas requires us to rely heavily on our lights to see accross an inaccessable area (tight crawlspace...etc..). When I started a few years ago ,the standard in my industry was the Stremlight ultrastinger,270 lumens I think ...I really like the light.....but have become confused with alot of new terms that I am hearing about...throw ...flood .I actually heard of a home inspector recommending a fenix that had 600-or 700 lumens and was a little light (compared to my ultrastinger)Is it possible for such a little light to put out that much ? When I started my search a few years ago the ultra stinger was a pretty bright light...but now I am wondering if there is something beter out there ...brighter?? more compact??. I need to be able to have a strong long beam as mentioned earlier but a light that would illuminate an area would be benificial as well. I dont mind a "bigger" light like I have now but if a smaller light would fit the bill that would be great. I like some of the features out there now like 3 modes of operation to cut down on battery life etc.... I want rechargable batteries , preferably with some kind of rapid car charger as my stinger is only good for 60 mins. I would be good up to 150.00-175.00...Thanks to all that will considergoing here again....

angelofwar

Flashlight Enthusiast
Welcome to CPF inspector...

Hmmm...decent throw and flood...well, the Surefire A2L-White coems to mind...has a low ~15 lumen flood, press a little harder, and is has a tighter/brighter throw beam...my AZ2L is set-up the same and it is by far my favourite "they got it right" light. But, you don't the combat ring, etc., so I think the A2L-WH would be an excelletn lgiht for you. Compact, light, and about as rugged as they get. You find find any lights that offer that level of flood AND throw in the same package...

EnduringEagle

Enlightened
Take a look at the Olight m20x. It takes a rechargable 18650 battery, has great throw and flood. Most importantly it is completely one hand operation, exceedingly durable with an outstanding holster that you can keep an extra battery. It is also relatively light weight. I really enjoy this light. It also bangs out 500 lumens with 3 levels of adjustment and a strobe.

Outdoorsman5

Flashlight Enthusiast
+1 on the Olight M20-S "X" (with the new XM-L LED in it.) I love my Olights. It has a forward clicky tail switch, and has a great one-handed user interface (UI). You can choose from 10 lumens, 100 lumens, and 500 lumens. The holster it comes with is great. The light has a clip on it as well, so you could just clip the light inside your pocket or on your belt if you didn't want to use the holster. The light can use either two CR123 batteries or one rechargeable 18650 Li-ion battery (which offers better runtimes than the two primary CR123 batteries.) You can get this light, AW brand 18650 2900 mah Li-ion rechargeable battery, Cytac dual bay fast charger, and car charger cord all from 4sevens.com. Total cost $148.08 delivered.

You may want to consider getting an extra 18650 as a back up. They have cheaper ones with less capacity (like the AW 18650 2200mah), but you want to stick with quality brands only when dealing with Li-ion batteries. The two best brands are "AW" brand and "Redilast". Also, if you go this route & want to start using Li-ion rechargeable batteries (which are superior to other rechargeable batteries in many ways) then you should learn more about them. Go over to batteryuniversity.com to learn what you need to know such as the possible dangers they can pose. They are safe batteries, but need to be handled properly. You are already using Li-ion batteries if you have a cell pone or a laptop and many other common devices use them too.

Good Luck.

Last edited:

GaAslamp

Enlightened
You guys must be sick and tired of these newbe questions

If we were, then we wouldn't bother answering them. ;)

When I started a few years ago ,the standard in my industry was the Stremlight ultrastinger,270 lumens I think ...I really like the light.....but have become confused with alot of new terms that I am hearing about...throw ...flood.

"Throw" is how far the brightest portion of a flashlight's beam (the "hotspot" if there is one) can "reach out" to provide a usable level of illumination; it is based on light intensity per area/angle. Flood or floodiness generally refers to the width of an area (measured numerically as an angle) the beam illuminates; if the beam has a dimmer area around the hotspot, then the outer portion of the beam is specifically called the "spill," and floodiness could then refer more specifically to how wide the hotspot is instead (the wider the hotspot, the floodier the beam).

More simply put, throw is all about distance, while flood is for a wider, more even spread of light (usually for close-up work). Flashlight beams can have one or both of these qualities, depending on their patterns. For reference, your UltraStinger is definitely more of a thrower than a flooder.

I actually heard of a home inspector recommending a fenix that had 600-or 700 lumens and was a little light (compared to my ultrastinger)Is it possible for such a little light to put out that much ?

Yes, because modern "power LED" emitters are far more efficient than the incandescent bulb used in the UltraStinger. On the other hand, it is difficult for a more compact flashlight--especially one that uses an LED--to throw as far as the UltraStinger (incandescents have an advantage in throw due to smaller emitter size and higher surface brightness). Its total output may be far greater, but the hotspot is so spread out (floodier) that it doesn't necessarily reach as far, at least with the same level of intensity.

My main question for you is: do you need the hotspot to be as intense as that of the UltraStinger? (i.e. does the new flashlight have to match it in throw?) Imagine a greater amount of light that is spread out so that it's significantly less intense at the center. Would this be better or worse overall?

When I started my search a few years ago the ultra stinger was a pretty bright light...but now I am wondering if there is something beter out there ...brighter?? more compact??.

Brighter and more compact with similar or greater runtime is easy to achieve these days with LEDs, but achieving equal or greater throw would probably take a flashlight of similar size (at least the head diameter).

I need to be able to have a strong long beam as mentioned earlier but a light that would illuminate an area would be benificial as well. I dont mind a "bigger" light like I have now but if a smaller light would fit the bill that would be great. I like some of the features out there now like 3 modes of operation to cut down on battery life etc.... I want rechargable batteries , preferably with some kind of rapid car charger as my stinger is only good for 60 mins. I would be good up to 150.00-175.00...Thanks to all that will considergoing here again....

Let's look at some examples to give you an idea of what's available.

First up is the Fenix TK41, which outputs about 800 lumens for about 2 hours, and is slightly shorter but fatter than the UltraStinger. I've gone conservative with this option in that it throws even farther than the UltraStinger, in case you need that (you couldn't complain, anyway ;)). Its main drawback is that it takes eight AA NiMH rechargeable cells, which makes it cumbersome to recharge.

Then there is the larger (5.5" longer) Fenix TK60, which is very similar except for its size and the fact that it takes four D cells, which should give it significantly greater runtime (if you use real, full-capacity NiMH D cells).

On the other hand, if you want something more compact there is the Fenix TK35, which is a couple of inches shorter than the TK41 and has a slightly smaller head. Its total output is similar at 820 lumens, but runtime is shorter at an hour and a half, and its hotspot is more spread out and less intense, even than the UltraStinger's, which trades off some throw (only 6% less than the UltraStinger, though) for a much wider, floodier hotspot. This flashlight uses either four CR123A primary cells or two 18650 Li-ion rechargeables, which take some knowledge and care to use safely.

So what do you think?

GaAslamp

Enlightened
Hmmm...decent throw and flood...well, the Surefire A2L-White coems to mind...has a low ~15 lumen flood, press a little harder, and is has a tighter/brighter throw beam...

The SureFire A2L is a very nice and compact EDC/tactical-style flashlight, but it has only half the total output of the UltraStinger and is significantly over the OP's budget.

my AZ2L is set-up the same and it is by far my favourite "they got it right" light. But, you don't the combat ring, etc., so I think the A2L-WH would be an excelletn lgiht for you. Compact, light, and about as rugged as they get. You find find any lights that offer that level of flood AND throw in the same package...

I seriously doubt that it can throw anything like the UltraStinger can, assuming (conservatively) for the time being that throw is important.

Take a look at the Olight m20x. It takes a rechargable 18650 battery, has great throw and flood. Most importantly it is completely one hand operation, exceedingly durable with an outstanding holster that you can keep an extra battery. It is also relatively light weight. I really enjoy this light. It also bangs out 500 lumens with 3 levels of adjustment and a strobe.

It's a great option as long as the OP can accept a less intense hotspot. I'm thinking, sure, how big can homes get, but I just want the OP to be aware of any tradeoffs as opposed to flashlight options that outperform the UltraStinger in every way, that's all.

angelofwar

Flashlight Enthusiast
I seriously doubt that it can throw anything like the UltraStinger can, assuming (conservatively) for the time being that throw is important.

Throw in a flashlight is relative to a users need...which is why I recommended the light I used...I envisioned a light for a crawl-space, and, given the relative throw of suggested, though it to be a very viable option...with a better warranty than the Ultrastinger :0)

Half the output of the ultrastinger is a good thing when you don't need that much light...

(Don't get me wrong...the ultrastinger is good at what it does...a great LEO light...would I recommend it as a home inspector light? Nope. He can use his A2L to inspect homes, read a book, camp, hike, etc. al. Which is why I recommended it...

And yes, the A2L can be had for his price range in the marketplace.

GaAslamp

Enlightened
Throw in a flashlight is relative to a users need...which is why I recommended the light I used...I envisioned a light for a crawl-space, and, given the relative throw of suggested, though it to be a very viable option...with a better warranty than the Ultrastinger :0)

You know what, sometimes I read what I've written and cringe because it looks like I'm slapping down somebody else's recommendations. :ohgeez: I assure you that my intention is only to inform the person asking for help that a recommendation is not necessarily what they were looking for (in this case higher brightness in addition to compactness). It is possible to get overly focused on simply delivering what a person asks for, but you bring up a valid point that maybe an alternative is something they should look into and think about.

homeinspector

Newly Enlightened
Thanks soo much for the replies....

Yes I do need the throw over the flood.I do like that about the ultra stinger.If I need to look under a ...say kitchen sink or read a lable I dont really need 800 lumens or much throw ,but when I do need it I really need it. What I dont like so much about the stinger is its either on or off ...full power or none at all. I would like to have ability to switch from low ,med and high.If I could get that in a smaller light ...great..but I think I would have to give up throw...cant do that and I do need an intense spotlight as was ask earlier. So I have learned a great deal already about what I need and want in a light ,still a few questions though. During an inspection I usually run my stinger down but it is rechargable so I need to charge before the next inspection. I cant imagine how much I would have spent in batteries so far if it took say...AA's. What are li-ion rechargables and why are they dangerous? What battery configuration would be best do you think ..do some outlast..out perform others?etc..

FlashKat

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just took the plunge and bought the Thrunite TN11. I am still waiting for it to arrive, but it is considered to be a thrower.

TEEJ

Flashaholic
Depending on the range you need, the LED Lenser T7 is a reasonably priced inspection light, in that it has a high and low brightness, and a very easy to use sliding head to focus the beam from a small spot to a wide flood....one finger adjustment using the hand the light is in...super simple. The ease of making it flood means even the high setting can be very diffused and soft, and as its a continuous range of adjustment, you can dial in the amount of flood/spot you like. IIRC, high is ~ 150 lumens, low is probably ~ 30-ish if I had to guess. The color rendition is excellent, very nice beam....but it takes AAA's.

The Klarus XT11 is also sweet for inspection, in that its a floody beam to start with, but you can use 10 lumen, 150 lumen and 600 lumen settings...and a single rechargeable 18650 lasts a long time, you could just leave it on for over 12 DAYS on low, or run it for over 7 Hours at 150 lumens....even at 600 lumens its good for over 2 Hours. It also has a great beam for rendition, and the UI is so easy its a crime...no learning curve.

:D

I also use a Klarus XT20, which is a lot like the XT11, except it can do 1,200 lumens on high for a couple of hours, 10 lumens on low, but medium is 370 lumens....so I use that one if the spaces are larger. It takes two 18650's, and is a hell of an inspection light....great beam and UI like the XT11.

I like the 18650's so far, easy to use, easy to find, and I keep spares in the truck/have a car charger for them as well as one in the house.

So, if you're in a wet dirt crawlspace, and you really don't want to squirm through mud to get to the far side of the space 100' away...the throw keeps you clean and dry. :D

I also find that the lights do a great job of replacing the camera flash, so I can make that water damage rally pop out in the pic, etc.

:D

Last edited:

GaAslamp

Enlightened
If I could get that in a smaller light ...great..but I think I would have to give up throw...cant do that and I do need an intense spotlight as was ask earlier.

Even with today's technology, I think that you would have to give up some throw in order to get a signficantly more compact flashlight. The good news, however, is that you can get better performance, including throw (and hotspot intensity), in a similar-sized flashlight.

So I have learned a great deal already about what I need and want in a light ,still a few questions though. During an inspection I usually run my stinger down but it is rechargable so I need to charge before the next inspection. I cant imagine how much I would have spent in batteries so far if it took say...AA's.

Two of the Fenix flashlights that I brought up earlier, the TK41 and TK60 (both of which have more intense beams, and out-throw and out-flood the UltraStinger), run on rechargeable AA and D cells, respectively. You have to take out the cells to recharge them, but you won't be forced to use primary (i.e. non-rechargeable) cells (although you could in a pinch, which can be useful under some circumstances, too).

What are li-ion rechargables and why are they dangerous? What battery configuration would be best do you think ..do some outlast..out perform others?etc..

If you opt for either of the two flashlights above, then you won't have to concern yourself over this, as NiMH cells are inherently more robust and safer.

Rechargeable lithium-ion cells are like the ones used in your cell phone and laptop (most likely)--they have the highest energy density per weight (albeit not necessarily per volume), as well as inherently higher voltage, which makes them attractive for many applications. However, they can potentially be dangerous because they're very sensitive to things like overcharging and overdischarging (i.e. running them too low), among other things, and moreover when they fail they tend to do so far more violently than other types of rechargeable cells, rapidly releasing flammable gases--that sometimes ARE on fire :eek::duck:--and highly toxic chemicals. :green: The specialized applications that I just mentioned are designed to work safely as a system, with dedicated chargers and sophisticated battery management (even then, some incidents of "venting with flame" have occurred), but when using these cells with flashlights on your own, it's up to you to ensure that they're being used safely. Many people on this forum use Li-ion cells in their flashlights safely on a daily basis, and recommend them without hesitation (I've done so, but only when I have to ;)), but I must stress that you need to know what you're doing and what equipment to purchase, or else you could potentially be seriously injured:

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...d-Close-Calls-The-dangerous-side-of-batteries

We can help you with this if you're interested, and truthfully it's not a huge deal once you know all the facts, but to me it seems easier to stick with NiMH rechargeables as long as the available options meet your needs. :shrug:

Tommygun45

Enlightened
Mr Homeinspector.... As AOW has said, an A2L, I think, would be a good light for you. I recently purchased one on the market place out of a desire to always own one. I upgraded it with a special shroud on the tailcap so that it can tailstand and act like a candle. The low mode, activated by either slightly pressing on the tail cap, or turning it slightly, will provide a nice low level flood, adequate for anything within 10 feet. Perfect for under cabinets or sinks etc. Push it a little further and it activates the main LED which will throw the beam at least 200 feet, far more than any but the most extreme basements I have seen. Anything over 200 lumens, I think, would be too much for any kind of house. Unless it is a mansion, or you are trying to blind yourself. I love the light but I honestly don't have a need for it. I am trying to cut back on my collection.

If you like, I can sell you the light with 2 rechargeable li-ion AW17670 batteries. You should also buy a Pila charger. The combination of these two items will put you right where you want to spend. You won't have to spend another dime on batteries for years to come. The light has a lifetime warranty, so you are good there as well. If the light is not up to your needs, I will gladly refund you. Either way, you can try it out and see if its what your looking for. Keep in mind, this light retails for $316. With the AW protected batteries I have, and the Pila charger, I cannot think of a way this combination could possibly be dangerous. I have been using these batteries in lights for years, and have not had a problem. I have had many an alkaline melt on me and destroy things. But if you haven't had a cell phone or laptop blow up on you, I think you can trust them.

Let me know.

DSC00706.JPG

She's second from the left. You can also clip her to a baseball cap for some hands free action.

And as a full disclosure, the light it outputs isn't nearly on par with any of the lights mentioned above. But I don't know why it would need to be. When you are talking about a TK41 or the XT20 these things are putting out 800-1200 lumens. These are capable of lighting literally multiple football field size areas. Unless you are inspecting Bill Gates' house, I can't see how it would even be feasible to need anything more then 200-300 lumens. But if you give us a distance of objects you need to illuminate that would also help in the recommendations.

If you really need a light to illuminate that kind of space, take a look at this thread comparing some of the beamshots of some high powered lights.

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?323966

Keep in mind, these lights, like the XT20 are lighting up areas over 500 feet away.

Last edited:

ico

Enlightened
I think the zebralight SC600 would also be fit. It is more on flood but at 750 lumens, it still has enough throw. It uses a single 18650 and still maintains to be a small light compared to other 18650 lights

ScaryFatKidGT

Enlightened
I think the zebralight SC600 would also be fit. It is more on flood but at 750 lumens, it still has enough throw. It uses a single 18650 and still maintains to be a small light compared to other 18650 lights
+1 SC600 or Spark SL-6 or the Thrunite TN11. Theres alot of lights out there.

ScaryFatKidGT

Enlightened
There's a lot of lights out there.....

But yeah also I think you may be to focused on throw, a light like the TK41 will throw over 400 meters and unless your in to really big houses I think any light over 600lm will be fine

Spark SL-6, Zebra light SC600, Jetbeam BC25. The Thrunight TN11 would be a good combination of flood and trow.

GaAslamp

Enlightened
But yeah also I think you may be to focused on throw, a light like the TK41 will throw over 400 meters and unless your in to really big houses I think any light over 600lm will be fine

But it's not just about the maximum distance a flashlight will supposedly throw based on an arbitrary standard, but how much light intensity is required/desired at the distances at which it is expected to be used. Except for the TK41 and TK60, ALL of the other flashlights mentioned thus far in this thread--including those known to be good throwers--provide lower beam intensity than the OP's old UltraStinger (might as well stick with that, then).

Spark SL-6, Zebra light SC600, Jetbeam BC25. The Thrunight TN11 would be a good combination of flood and trow.

For most purposes, yes, but if a narrowly-focused, intense beam is required (forget throw distance--it's beside the point here), then most of these flashlights are inferior to the UltraStinger--they spray tons of light around (I generally like wide beam patterns, myself) but at lower intensity (especially the SC600 and SL6), and maybe some people don't want that for some purposes. Only the OP really knows what is required.

Last edited: